Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,111,193 times

Advertisements

What's Pokemon Go doing to your neighborhood? Are people out there trying to catch it all?

Most posters here are older, so I imagine it's not hitting the age group here.

Anyways, I'm on a flip phone, so I won't be playing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,478,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
What's Pokemon Go doing to your neighborhood? Are people out there trying to catch it all?

This is arguably the stupidest thing I've seen since the Macarana, especially in light of what's going on in our country and in our city. Of course, I might just be getting old.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,829,962 times
Quote:

Flip phones still exist?

I think pretty much anywhere in the US it's taking over.

My little siblings do have it though. I don't know anything about Pokemon, but I think it's a great app. First of all it's very original and creative. Second, I am glad that we have found a way to use technology to make kids go out there and be outside and get some exercise.

My siblings can't do sports for the life of them and are lazy. My brother told me he went with his friend on a three hour walk on Saturday cause of Pokemon Go.

If you are an adult playing the game...I dunno I find it a little dumb then.

But I think this is a great app also as it well open the door for new types of apps. Imagine if they build a scavanger type app that has a similar set up. That would be very cool.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
This is arguably the stupidest thing I've seen since the Macarana, especially in light of what's going on in our country and in our city. Of course, I might just be getting old.
I think if you are an adult it's stupid. It's essentially a waste of time.

But for kids I think it's great. I am 30 but have siblings that are 11,15,16. I have seen how technology has basically killed any interest for them to go play outside, be independent, or just be adventurous. Kids are now just hooked up on their phones at home or watching TV. With that being said, this app is getting kids to go outside and explore. A generation that doesn't know life without the addicting technology that we have today, finally are using that technology to go outside and explore.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 AM

638 posts, read 980,080 times
Quote:
Sorry people are out enjoying their lives instead of sitting inside watching CNN and ruminating on the white guilt.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
The Trib ran these articles --
Pokemon Go players flood area parks, downtowns trying to catch 'em all

Suddenly, it's a Pokemon Go world, and we're just living in it - Chicago Tribune

SunTimes ran this --
Pokémon GO players pursue creatures around Chicago | Chicago Sun-Times

Pretty sure it is a very widely embraced game.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
And the part that's strange to me, is, if you're not a Pokemon fan, why would you all of a sudden get into this app.

I'm a pokemon fan but I'm not going to upgrade to a iPhone just for this. I'm into the video games, not this.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Sorry people are out enjoying their lives instead of sitting inside watching CNN and ruminating on the white guilt.
Right. Also, I am someone who tends to stay away dedicating too much time to that kind of stuff (political stuff that is).

I hate when people try to guilt others because they aren't as proactive as they are when it comes to politics, civil rights, etc. I support the civil rights movement for many groups, but that doesn't mean I go protesting or have to watch it on TV or discuss it all the time.

Unless you take an attitude of "Who cares what happens to those people", I don't see a problem with some deciding to spend their time playing a game than protesting in downtown.

Power resides where people believe it resides in.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
And the part that's strange to me, is, if you're not a Pokemon fan, why would you all of a sudden get into this app.

I'm a pokemon fan but I'm not going to upgrade to a iPhone just for this. I'm into the video games, not this.
But is that the case? Pokemon came out when I as like 12 or so and now I am 30. I am imagine the adults who are playing it were big Pokemon fans back then, then for kids it just makes sense. I have a hard time believe that most adults who know nothing about Pokemon are now starting to play it like crazy. I am sure that is a minority of people doing that.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
But is that the case? Pokemon came out when I as like 12 or so and now I am 30. I am imagine the adults who are playing it were big Pokemon fans back then, then for kids it just makes sense. I have a hard time believe that most adults who know nothing about Pokemon are now starting to play it like crazy. I am sure that is a minority of people doing that.
I been hearing that a lot of people started doing it because all their friends been doing it. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: