Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM

9 posts, read 12,778 times

Advertisements

Hello

My family moved from Chicago in 1969. I've never been back. My older sister and I are talking about taking a road trip and visiting our old neighborhood. We grew up on S. Central across the street from Columbus Park. I went to Robert Emmett Elementary - my sister and brother attended Austin High School.

Is this a good idea? I hear bad things about Chicago, crime, gangs, you name it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 12:41 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
While the bulk of Chicago is quite safe and totally worth a visit, the area you're describing is not. Columbus Park is in the Austin neighborhood, one of the worst in Chicago. "Crime" and "gangs" would be accurate. Other than some buildings with old, interesting architecture, as well as Columbus Park itself, there isn't much else to see. I won't stop you from going, but your best bet is to go there in the morning, especially if you plan to do any walking. That's when the people most likely to be out are workers on the way to their jobs, kids on the way to school, and families out for a stroll. Columbus Park is beautiful and it's protected by Chicago's "safe park zone" laws, but go there during daytime only. After dark, get on I-290 right away.

Care to share what's the purpose of your visit? Are you seeing friends or family, going to a particular place of business, or just touring the old neighborhood?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 PM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
columbus park itself is not safe. my parents live in oak park, and my pops regularly plays golf there. I had a friend have a wedding at their field house. it was really really nice.

however, I would NOT hang around central avenue over there.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:45 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
There's a lot of the city that is safe - However, since the 1960s, areas like Austin and Garfield Park have really declined. For example, there's been almost 150 homicides in the Austin community area since 2012. There are still some nice parts of Austin though. It's the largest community area by population now (and pretty big in area) so it depends on where you go. Near that park is not the safest area.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:52 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
It's true this is an area that has declined, suffers from gangs/drugs and all the other socioeconomic issues at play. But you're not taking much of a risk by driving to the area and a walking by your old house.

Don't go there with the intent to sell heroin or waving around hundred dollar bills, and you'll be fine. People should stop viewing black neighborhoods as "no go" zones, it only perpetuates the problems that cause "ghettos" in the first place.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 12,778 times
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid of hearing this, but I wanted to know for sure. If we do go, and that's a fair sized if at the moment, we would most likely only drive by the old apartment building, through the park, and around the schools. It was such a wonderful place to grow up in! Having that beautiful park right across the street was amazing. I learned to swim in the pool there!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Since I only have S Central across from Columbus Park. I went to Google Streetview360° to the general area. You can take this Streetview to the EXACT HOUSE you lived. From streetview it is South Austin and this is a random streetview I clicked on across from Columbus Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8756...7i13312!8i6656.

Housing and block itself look good to me. Appearances I mean. Still nice buildings and lawns taken care of. So you can use Streetview to find your former home. That one or this with the map to find street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8749808,-87.7625904,16z

I see nothing to keep you from a daytime drive. While in Chicago you can take in Downtown and all the great things there. It is far from 1969 there.

I typed in Austin High School to get to this Streetview map to click on to see the school in 360°.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Au...3cba6abbc61469

Your Elementary school came up as permanently closed.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Em...bd2e241a78bf1c

I would say DON'T Let this deter a visit to your Hometown. Maybe look up long lost friends and family. The city mostly is still awesome to visit. Great Gentrified neighborhoods and GREAT Downtown.

You family may have been part of the era of White-Flight when neighborhoods had African-Americans move in in that era? My relatives merely moved to the Newer Northwest Side of the city and Neighborhoods near Midway Airport. Though they are all gone deceased today. They lead AWESOME lives reminding in Chicago.

I was curious where your family moved too? But Good luck in planning a visit. Much to see as Chicago has RECORD tourist that have hit 50 million a year. So don't let one neighborhood deter you.

Chicago is still a GREAT CITY TO VISIT and live. Just not so much if poor.
Surly this shows a reason to visit and explore your hometown. Especially Spring through Fall.

Looking northwest toward downtown⤵

Looking South from the North Shore⤵

Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
I visit my old Austin neighborhood a couple of times a year with a friend who grew up west side also. I was born across the street from Columbus Park at Loretto hospital which is still open. You're right, it was a wonderful and scenic neighborhood at one time. A sort of paradise for working class families.

My usual routine is to go on sunday mornings when the church people are out and about. In fact last april I went to mass at St. Martin Des Porres (formerly St. Thomas Aquinas). The black congregation was very warm and friendly to us. I drive by my old residence every time and picture it as it was, not as it is now. I also take a slow trip down Madison street and try to recall all the little and large businesses that lined that street.

I never regret these trips and always feel better about the place when I leave. While thugs, bangers and junkies get all the press, You'll find that the "old hood" is really a place where most ordinary people are just trying to make a way of life for themselves.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Probably about as bad a neighborhood as you are likely to find in North America.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:00 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Hey now, Austin is actually 1 of the safest Black neighborhoods, imo the safest in the West side.

And Columbus Park... I been there, I didn't see much. It's right next to the border of Oak Park which is like a White suburb so I would say it's definitely safe.

West Garfield Park, however, has 4x as much crime as Austin. Remember Austin is the largest neighborhood so per sqaure mile and per capita West Garfield Park is 4x worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago