Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:55 PM

241 posts, read 467,887 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I live in lakeview east, and have a parking spot at my building. I don't have a city or neighborhood parking sticker because my car is still registered in my old state (my dad technically owns the car and he lives elsewhere), and I have my parking spot so I've never had to park on the street here. However, I have some friends that are driving into town this week, staying through the weekend for Thanksgiving, so I need to find some free parking for a few days. They will be getting in late wednesday so they're just gonna take my parking spot and I will relocate my car for a few days.

Basically I'm wondering if there are any near by neighborhoods that have free street parking, and/or how I can find out about this? I know last summer during my internship I lived near Ravenswood and had non-sticker street parking, so I was thinking of just finding a spot on my old street up there. Is this something people do? How are these types of situations usually handled in chicago (cant imagine im the first person to have this come up)? The other thing I was wondering is if there is a way to get like a temporary week parking sticker for my neighborhood and just finding a street spot here. I like that idea better cause I can physically see my car every day. Parking in lakeview east isn't easy but I would just check every day for a spot and then I can leave it there with no worries really.

Anyway, what sort of ideas do you think work best in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,155,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Hey all,

I live in lakeview east, and have a parking spot at my building. I don't have a city or neighborhood parking sticker because my car is still registered in my old state (my dad technically owns the car and he lives elsewhere), and I have my parking spot so I've never had to park on the street here. However, I have some friends that are driving into town this week, staying through the weekend for Thanksgiving, so I need to find some free parking for a few days. They will be getting in late wednesday so they're just gonna take my parking spot and I will relocate my car for a few days.

Basically I'm wondering if there are any near by neighborhoods that have free street parking, and/or how I can find out about this? I know last summer during my internship I lived near Ravenswood and had non-sticker street parking, so I was thinking of just finding a spot on my old street up there. Is this something people do? How are these types of situations usually handled in chicago (cant imagine im the first person to have this come up)? The other thing I was wondering is if there is a way to get like a temporary week parking sticker for my neighborhood and just finding a street spot here. I like that idea better cause I can physically see my car every day. Parking in lakeview east isn't easy but I would just check every day for a spot and then I can leave it there with no worries really.

Anyway, what sort of ideas do you think work best in this situation?
You can get guest passes from your alderman's office.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:54 PM

I'm trying to figure that out, and it seems like a complicated process that could take a while. I'm basically just looking for if theres anyway to know what streets have free parking. Obviously around my area (Lakeview East) I'm not gonna find that, but I know theres gotta be neighborhoods/streets further north or west that have free street parking where I can just leave my car wednesday night-sunday morning.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,155,117 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure that out, and it seems like a complicated process that could take a while. I'm basically just looking for if theres anyway to know what streets have free parking. Obviously around my area (Lakeview East) I'm not gonna find that, but I know theres gotta be neighborhoods/streets further north or west that have free street parking where I can just leave my car wednesday night-sunday morning.
It's really not complicated. Go to the alderman's office with proof of residency, and you get them.

Guest Permits

But, if you just want to leave your car somewhere else, you can also look in the streets west if Ashland by the Paulina brown line stop. Or by where you used to live in Ravenswood.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 PM

Ah I hadn't come across that website. I'll check that out. $8 for 15 daily passes seems pretty awesome. I'm not sure I can make it there with those hours and the online service says 6-7 business days which I don't have unfortunately. So I'll try for just parking in ravenswood if that doesn't work out

Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,963,656 times
Quote:
Ah I hadn't come across that website. I'll check that out. $8 for 15 daily passes seems pretty awesome. I'm not sure I can make it there with those hours and the online service says 6-7 business days which I don't have unfortunately. So I'll try for just parking in ravenswood if that doesn't work out
There are several blocks in Lakeview where no zoning sticker is required. Off the top of my head, Fletcher, between Southport and Greenview is a zone free street. It's a bit west of you, but might be worth it.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,095,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
There are several blocks in Lakeview where no zoning sticker is required. Off the top of my head, Fletcher, between Southport and Greenview is a zone free street. It's a bit west of you, but might be worth it.
Yes, though finding a spot in them is a crapshoot. Sometimes you can, sometimes not really. otherwise the OP would probably have to go elsewhere like Lincoln Square or something like that and hope to find somewhere

Old 11-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I know last year I lived between balmoral and catalpa on Campbell, and that street as well as the parallel ones had free street parking so maybe I'll just go back there. Just makes me nervous to just ditch my car somewhere for 5 days.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 PM

498 posts, read 731,440 times
Just park on a street that isn't zoned. Street parking in Lakeview on Thanksgiving is a piece of cake (turkey?) because all the transplants are gone

Old 11-24-2015, 10:12 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,231,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Just park on a street that isn't zoned. Street parking in Lakeview on Thanksgiving is a piece of cake (turkey?) because all the transplants are gone
This. Parking during family-oriented holidays should not be a problem. The city is a virtual ghost town during Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago