Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 AM

180 posts, read 321,581 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a job offer in Downers Grove and my DH will be working in downtown. Where is the best family friendly place to live for an easy transit between these 2 areas? Is there good family places near downtown? Is the reverse commute out of Chicago better than the commute in?

Our budget is 800K - 1M. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet?? View Post
Hi all,

I have a job offer in Downers Grove and my DH will be working in downtown. Where is the best family friendly place to live for an easy transit between these 2 areas? Is there good family places near downtown? Is the reverse commute out of Chicago better than the commute in?

Our budget is 800K - 1M. Thanks!
You'll probably have better success asking this in the suburbs section (assuming that is where you'd want to live); anything along the metra line will be good, i'd probably look in Downers, Western Springs, or LaGrange; your probably not going to get anything worthwhile in Hinsdale with your budget, though I could be wrong.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:21 AM

439 posts, read 953,915 times
Just live close to Downers Grove. The Metra trains from Downers Grove to downtown are pretty fast.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:06 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Look at La Grange, Downers Grove, Riverside, Clarendon HIlls, Western Springs, maybe Oak Park if you insist on being close to the city. Most of the family friendly neighborhoods in the city are not anywhere near downtown they are up north or northwest and would not be convenient to Downers grove. In any case Chicago Public schools are not good and you will want to look into suburban locations on a train line. Look at the towns along the Burlington Northern train line or the Union Pacific west train line. Those suburbs are the most accessable to Downers Grove. You can also look into Naperville, wheaton and glen Ellyn, all within driving distance to dg and have trains to Chicago.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:24 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
If you wanted to live in the city, then your best bet might be areas like Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, etc on that budget. DG is pretty far away though so you might do better living in suburb. I might suggest Oak Park or Forest Park as they're close to the city and the city trains also go to them and so does the Metra (commuter rail) - both of these converge downtown. Your budget shouldn't be a problem in most places to find a house. There are some nice suburbs out there too like Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, etc. I'd post this in the suburbs forum if you aren't dead set on living in the city (and you'll probably get more for your money anyway in most suburbs on that budget).

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 AM

180 posts, read 321,581 times
Great. Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I will take this to the suburb forum since suburbs seem to be a better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago