Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,530,818 times

Advertisements

Most of my adult life (I'm 26 now) I have had a great interest in health, conservation, environmentalism, and the hopeful dismantling of the industrial food complex. I've done everything possible within my means to buy local, shop at farmers markets, etc. etc. Anyways... I have never been a hunter. People in my family have hunted, my girlfriend's family is full of hunters, but not me. I've come to the decision that I want to start hunting, and only eating meat that I kill myself when at home. To me, this is not only a cheaper and more ethical way to eat meat, but it fills a void I have been experiencing that exists between me and the meat on my plate, even though if the package I bought it in says its from a local farm, pasture raised, etc. I know it won't be a perfect process, but eventually game meat will hopefully consist of 90% of the meat I consume.

Anyway, the question I am getting to is this. Does anyone know of any group, club, or whatever in the city of Chicago that focuses on people like me who want to learn to hunt? There has to be other people out there that love living in the city but still hunt or have a desire to hunt. I read about a club just like this based in San Francisco. They would get together every so often, go out to public wilderness a few hours from the city, and hunt for big and small game that they would use for food. Sorry for the life story/rant, but I think it will help to show what I am looking for. I have lots of research to do, and don't plan on hunting until next fall, but I want to get the ball rolling. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:21 PM

347 posts, read 523,266 times
I regret to inform you that if you want to hunt, you're in the wrong place. Most of Chicago's residents and city officials are hardcore leftists who hate guns and gunowners. Just look at the reaction I get here when I encourage residents of Chicago to get CCW licenses. Because of this, they detest activities such as hunting. Good luck finding a hunting club in Chicago. LOL.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
I regret to inform you that if you want to hunt, you're in the wrong place. Most of Chicago's residents and city officials are hardcore leftists who hate guns and gunowners. Just look at the reaction I get here when I encourage residents of Chicago to get CCW licenses. Because of this, they detest activities such as hunting. Good luck finding a hunting club in Chicago. LOL.
This isn't necessarily true. Did you miss the part where I mentioned the club in San Francisco? These are "leftist" urbanites who want to take their locavore efforts to the next level. There are several articles you can look up, including in the New York Times, about this trend. From 2006-2011, the number of hunters in America rose for the first time after decades of decline. Much of the reason for the uptick is because of this new breed of hunter. Many of them are also women. I know there is a possible local interest in this, this is why I'm asking, but thanks for your broad generalization contribution. (BTW, concealed carry is not even related to what I am talking about.)

Old 10-15-2015, 07:15 PM

347 posts, read 523,266 times
Hey, if you can find a hunting club in Chicago, more power to you. I hope I'm wrong, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet against you finding one. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. And I mention the concealed carry issue, because it demonstrates view of Chicago city government and many Chicago residents towards guns....even lawful activity using guns (hunting, target practice etc.) Think I'm wrong? Watch what happens if someone tries to open a gun range inside city limits.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Hey, if you can find a hunting club in Chicago, more power to you. I hope I'm wrong, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet against you finding one. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. And I mention the concealed carry issue, because it demonstrates view of Chicago city government and many Chicago residents towards guns....even lawful activity using guns (hunting, target practice etc.) Think I'm wrong? Watch what happens if someone tries to open a gun range inside city limits.
The hunting, shooting range/target practice, etc. doesn't have to be in Chicago. I'm simply looking for like minded individuals who want to get into hunting for sustainability and ethical reasons. This happens in other cities, and is a new trend that I think will become more and more popular as people finally start thinking about where their factory farmed pig really comes from. The funny thing is, big urban centers like Chicago are usually where you can find the most people who share your views on local and sustainable eating. Ironically, anytime I try to talk about farmers markets, sustainable eating, grass fed beef, or any topic related to that with more "rural" people I usually get scoffed at and get called names like "*******" and then I get asked why I just don't buy my meat or veggies at Walmart. Funny, isn't it, that those are the same people who are your stereotypical hunter.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,424,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
The hunting, shooting range/target practice, etc. doesn't have to be in Chicago. I'm simply looking for like minded individuals who want to get into hunting for sustainability and ethical reasons. This happens in other cities, and is a new trend that I think will become more and more popular as people finally start thinking about where their factory farmed pig really comes from. The funny thing is, big urban centers like Chicago are usually where you can find the most people who share your views on local and sustainable eating. Ironically, anytime I try to talk about farmers markets, sustainable eating, grass fed beef, or any topic related to that with more "rural" people I usually get scoffed at and get called names like "*******" and then I get asked why I just don't buy my meat or veggies at Walmart. Funny, isn't it, that those are the same people who are your stereotypical hunter.
There are definitely many people in Chicago who come from backgrounds growing up in other parts of the Midwest where hunting is commonplace. I did a quick Google search and it looks like there are several hunting clubs in the vicinity, but for obvious reasons the hunting doesn't take place in the city. However, Illinois is covered with places to hunt if you are willing to travel. In particular, IL is also home to one of the largest white-tailed deer populations in the world, so there's definitely plenty of opportunity. And, incidentally, if grass-fed beef or locally sourced meat is your thing, there are actually several locales in central Illinois that specialize in these sorts of things. My father is actually good friends with his farmer and butcher near Springfield and, while I don't eat beef with much frequency, I definitely do for those steaks because they are phenomenal.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,980,460 times
There are definitely many people in the area who hunt, or grew up hunting. Not as much as some other midwest areas, but it definitely exists. I even have a few friends from South America who grew up hunting and have multiple guns at their condos/apartments. You can find it - not everybody is what they seem, or some people might have a different upbringing than you might think.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
There are definitely many people in Chicago who come from backgrounds growing up in other parts of the Midwest where hunting is commonplace. I did a quick Google search and it looks like there are several hunting clubs in the vicinity, but for obvious reasons the hunting doesn't take place in the city. However, Illinois is covered with places to hunt if you are willing to travel. In particular, IL is also home to one of the largest white-tailed deer populations in the world, so there's definitely plenty of opportunity. And, incidentally, if grass-fed beef or locally sourced meat is your thing, there are actually several locales in central Illinois that specialize in these sorts of things. My father is actually good friends with his farmer and butcher near Springfield and, while I don't eat beef with much frequency, I definitely do for those steaks because they are phenomenal.
With Wisconsin literally right up the road, there is no shortage of free public land to hunt on too (this is tougher to come by in Illinois). I am really searching for people who are close to my skill level hunting wise (none) and share the same reasons for hunting as I do. I know a lot of clubs/etc. exist out in more rural areas, but I'm looking to find similar camaraderie in city dwellers too that would be interested in learning together, organizing trips, etc. I guess I could always start one

Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,730,117 times
I know quite a few people who live here that hunt, none of them do it for any reason other than tradition really though. Shoot even my wisconain in laws that deer hunt essentially complain about how cold it is, boring, etc. Im not sure if you will find a club as described.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I know quite a few people who live here that hunt, none of them do it for any reason other than tradition really though. Shoot even my wisconain in laws that deer hunt essentially complain about how cold it is, boring, etc. Im not sure if you will find a club as described.
I'm not sure either, thats why I'm asking here, but I know they exist in urban areas. And what does your Wisconsinite in-laws feelings on the excitement of hunting have anything to do with this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago