Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

The two brothers live in Humboldt Park, a ghetto to some, though my area isn't as bad as some areas to the south and west of me. One works and got his degree. The other dropped out and couldn't even handle working at Wal-Mart stocking shelves.

Both arguably live in a challenging area, are black, but yet very different because of their attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I know nothing about racial issues, thus I typically don't participate in these conversations. One thing I anecdotally have noticed again and again over 25 years of conversations with south side blacks (mostly on Red Line and Metra Electric) is that 1) they as a group work incredibly hard, commuting often two hours on public transit, waking up at 4am, etc. so many stories that are hard to believe given my relatively relaxed work lifestyle and 2) most of the dads are absent from this equation and the single moms can't afford childcare, thus the kids grow up with little supervision and become total thugs that the moms are even scared of. This latter tendency might be more than an unfair stereotype -- not really sure though. Just my observation.
I have seen a number of situations such as these and I agree - child care is the crux of the problem. Either the mother works long hours and has bigger sibling watch littler sibling, or she doesn't work in order to protect her children from the evils of the neighborhood. Sadly, it doesn't seem to help much after a certain age. The lucky families have a grandma to raise the kids - those situations seem to be a little better.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 PM

67 posts, read 247,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

How Race is Lived in America -- actually a compilation of NY Times articles and it really gets into black, white and brown issues in this country. I highly suggest it.

This is a GREAT book. Doesn't really matter what your background is, you will gain a lot out of it. One of my favorite articles in there was about the two friends from Cuba (one of African ancestry one of European) who moved to Miami, and suddenly became "black" and "white" rather than both "Cuban" or "Latino"

Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM

161 posts, read 411,668 times
Default live in NYC lately?

Sounds like you live in NYC....

You obviously know absolutely nothing about Chicago so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
so what's this whole racial tension all about? i read about it here in the forums. there was mention of chicago being the most segregated city in the nation as well. i know it's not NYC when it comes to true diversity but feel free to talk about it freely here...

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
This is a GREAT book. Doesn't really matter what your background is, you will gain a lot out of it. One of my favorite articles in there was about the two friends from Cuba (one of African ancestry one of European) who moved to Miami, and suddenly became "black" and "white" rather than both "Cuban" or "Latino"
I agree, very interesting. I also really liked the one about self-segregation in high school.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
There is another NY Times compilation on issues of class called Class Matters. I really enjoyed this book, so now perhaps I'll go pick up the race version!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 63,013 times
i've been in humboldt park for half of a summer, i am half cuban and pretty light skinned, i had to walk around with my cousin's pit bulls to keep anyone from getting stupid ideas, it wasn't really my choice but my cousin said it would be better if i did, there is a bit of a racial tension in Chicago but nothing way too serious, as a matter of fact i made more friends in Chi than i did anywhere else.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeli0501 View Post
I'm from Cleveland, and Cleveland Heights in particular is an interesting look at racial diversity. Each street is about equally divided between blacks and whites, but the key is that they are mostly on an equal level, economically. People who have money generally don't need to shoot people to get status/power/whatever. Therefore, crime increases in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, and makes them less desirable.
missmeli0501, I had to re-read much of this thread to find your post which represents my views exactly. I was born in Chicago and then moved to the suburbs (Waukegan) for H.S. At the time, my H.S. was about 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 hispanic. I feel the racial groups got along fairly well and it was relatively safe (and I know things have changed). There was some gang activity (I once was at a party where a Black Gangsta was shot by a Black Disciple but that wasn't a race issue). My best friends were white, black, hispanic... I labeled them as Jocks/Brainiacs/Burnouts/Gangsters, etc. and never thought of them as a particular race. Many of my friends are now in interracial marriages (including my siblings). Yet when I went away to college, I first realized that this is not always how the world works and I was priveged (even though we had little money) to have grown up in that environment. Was Waukegan an anomaly - some sort of desegregated racial Nirvana? At the time, everyone in Waukegan was mainly lower-middle class. I think you're right that the key was that the town was comprised mostly of people "of an equal level, economically" who "don't need to shoot people to get status/power/whatever."

Old 12-12-2008, 01:29 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times
There is no racial tension in Chicago, at least hardly any at all. Everyone I know hangs out in groups of friends that always have whites, blacks, mexicans and puerto ricans. The group that seems to be missing sometimes are asians, but I even see them around too sometimes. The 1950's are long gone., people are so ignorant.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:32 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
There is no racial tension in Chicago, at least hardly any at all. Everyone I know hangs out in groups of friends that always have whites, blacks, mexicans and puerto ricans.
This is how I've always seen things where I've lived in and around Chicago (can't speak for all areas though)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago