Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM

99 posts, read 112,305 times

Advertisements

Whenever i hear the traffic report, The Kennedy is always the most mentioned.

What is so special about the Kennedy over the other highways like 55,290, or even Dan Ryan?

You would think 290 would be the most mentioned cuz of the 2nd and 3rd largest cities are a drive too on 290 not the Kennedy.

The Kennedy isn't the main highway in Chicago is it?

I can't see it cuz it goes north and a majority of the people live west in Naperville and Aurory.

But serious, when traffic reporters do a report, they stress the Kennedy the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,646,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
Whenever i hear the traffic report, The Kennedy is always the most mentioned.

What is so special about the Kennedy over the other highways like 55,290, or even Dan Ryan?

You would think 290 would be the most mentioned cuz of the 2nd and 3rd largest cities are a drive too on 290 not the Kennedy.

The Kennedy isn't the main highway in Chicago is it?

I can't see it cuz it goes north and a majority of the people live west in Naperville and Aurory.

But serious, when traffic reporters do a report, they stress the Kennedy the most.

It is very easy why.Maybe because it is usually the busiest part of the Expressway system in Chicago (the city)????

On a good portion of the route in Chicago, both 90 and 94 are combined on it. Traffic going to and from the North Burbs and North West Burbs are both on it. It usually has a very steady flow of traffic, more so than the others. Everything coming from the Dan Ryan,and Ike that goes North goes onto it for some stretch of time. Since the Kennedy goes to O'Hare airport, they probably mention it first also because of that fact. Also being that the Kennedy is the Expressway that straddles the Western edge of downtown and the only one that is North and South past downtown in the city why wouldnt it be mentioned first? Many people get on the "Kennedy" if they work anywhere near downtown that eventually transfer to the Dan Ryan,the Ike and the Edens . Use common sense. It is your friend.

The Dan Ryan is a close 2nd in traffic, but usually the Kennedy is more busy.

Are you jealous of the Kennedy? lol

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-29-2008 at 10:53 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM

Why wouldn't 290 be the bussiest?

THey have the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in Illinois. That would be a heavy flow of traffic right.

THe west burbs have more people twice over than the noth burbs right so why not 290 be the bussiest?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
If there's one highway that's substantially more clogged than the other, they'll mention it first. About as often as not, that'd be the Kennedy. But they also tend to go counterclockwise starting with the north side, so the Edens or Kennedy will often get mentioned first.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Why wouldn't 290 be the bussiest?

THey have the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in Illinois. That would be a heavy flow of traffic right.

THe west burbs have more people twice over than the noth burbs right so why not 290 be the bussiest?
Go look up the stats, maybe the Ike is more busy? From what I can find, it is not.

Btw-as far as I know Rockford is still larger than Naperville.

I think I explained my reasoning well. And Drover posed something I never thought of before with the counter clockwise explaination. If that is not good enough, I do not know what to tell you. I do not think it is some plot to slight the Western Suburbs.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-29-2008 at 11:19 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Im still all these years trying to figure out how Rockford has a population over 100k.

THere is nothing their and they don't even have a downtown. a waist of space if you ask me.

Aurora is bigger and Naperville is 2nd. Hell Plainfield is growing like weeds. More reason to recognize those roads out tieir.

Kennedy doesn't run into anything major except for Downtown and Ohare but.

Sorry i think that whole 88-290 stretch is the main artery.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Im still all these years trying to figure out how Rockford has a population over 100k.

THere is nothing their and they don't even have a downtown. a waist of space if you ask me.

Aurora is bigger and Naperville is 2nd. Hell Plainfield is growing like weeds. More reason to recognize those roads out tieir.

Kennedy doesn't run into anything major except for Downtown and Ohare but.

Sorry i think that whole 88-290 stretch is the main artery.
You can think what you want. This is not a popularity contest. Maybe you should have posted that to begin with and watch everyone rip all over you for starting arguements.

It turns out it has been a huge waste of time responding to your post.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Let's see. The Kennedy happens to connect one of the largest, densest downtowns in the country to one of the world's busiest airports... and oh yeah, it also happens to be the funnel point for commuters from the north AND northwest suburbs, and for good measure it connects to the Northwest Tollway which has a ton of corporate office buildings for numerous corporations such as Zurich Insurance to Cisco to CEC, not to mention the world headquarters of Sears, UAL and Motorola, oh and it's the entry and exit point for traffic coming and going from Chicago to Milwaukee and back, plus it carries the load for two interstates which happen to be among the busiest east-west trucking corridors in the Western Hemisphere. I mean, why should it be busy?

Your obsession with Aurora and Naperville is bizarre. You make it sound like nobody lives in any other part of suburbia.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,639,526 times
The Kennedy/Dan Ryan is the busiest road in Illinois.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:23 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,621,174 times
In all seriousness, does anyone have a link for the traffic stats? I'd agree it's gotta be the kennedy (esp with all the lanes of traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago