Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong Chicagoan View Post
Sheridan Park, where I have lived for ten years has some affordable buildings. Many people poo poo Uptown but overall it's not that unsafe for the average resident. This apartment building is well taken care of, at least on the oustide. It is easy to get to other parts of the city from this area as well.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5236836871.html
thats not a bad price for a studio at all actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 02:41 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Not from what I've seen. If you look on Craigslist, there are actually quite a few between $600 and $800 in all areas mentioned so far. I could probably do $750 if I needed to.
A lot of the lowest-priced apartments listed on Craigslist don't actually exist. Unscrupulous landlords bait with low prices then switch to what is actually available. $700 is below market in any decent part of Chicago, although you might find a studio at that price. Pilsen is the best suggestion I've heard if you really can't spend more than $750, but I would also consider roommate situations.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 PM

104 posts, read 98,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong Chicagoan View Post
Sheridan Park, where I have lived for ten years has some affordable buildings. Many people poo poo Uptown but overall it's not that unsafe for the average resident. This apartment building is well taken care of, at least on the oustide. It is easy to get to other parts of the city from this area as well.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5236836871.html
I lived in this building for a little over two years, when I moved to Chicago for grad school in 2005. Not once did I ever experience an issue with crime in the area during my stay. I was on a tight budget so my search was limited. I was told to avoid the Uptown area - Wilson st in particular, by friends who also pooh pooh'd the area. But I kept coming back because it fit my limited budget and wants perfectly. I wanted my own place, didn't want to live any farther north, and wanted quick and easy access to the trains to get downtown.

When I went to check out the neighborhood, it was not bad at all. It was changing when I moved in and it has gentrified even more since I left. The Red Line trains are a few blocks away and will get you direct access to other great neighborhoods that are minutes away by L (Wrigleyville, Lakeview etc) not to mention a straight shot downtown. You can also walk to Argyle st (mini Chinatown) as well as Andersonville and the lake/bike path. Malden and the surrounding streets in Sheridan park is very charming. A lot of cool vintage buildings and houses if you are into that.

This particular building is well managed, the management company is great. A bit of advise that I wish my Chicago friends had given me. If you are a light sleeper, get a unit on the top floor if you plan on renting in a vintage building. I had never lived in such a place, but soon learned that having a high heel shoe wearing "Clomperella" neighbor upstairs, put a damper on my sleep. Other than that I'd say check out the area and see if you like it. Sheridan Park is a great option!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb808 View Post
check out the area and see if you like it. Sheridan Park is a great option!
Sheridan Park is only one of several nice parts of Uptown; Margate Park and Buena Park are worth checking out too.

But I would still stay away from Wilson Ave. east of Clark (actually I would generally avoid Montrose to Lawrence except right on the lake in Buena Park) because the concentration of social services is so intense, and the social services cater more to the mentally ill than to ordinary poor people.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:35 PM

104 posts, read 98,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Sheridan Park is only one of several nice parts of Uptown; Margate Park and Buena Park are worth checking out too.

But I would still stay away from Wilson Ave. east of Clark (actually I would generally avoid Montrose to Lawrence except right on the lake in Buena Park) because the concentration of social services is so intense, and the social services cater more to the mentally ill than to ordinary poor people.
Sheridan Park is east of Clark; do you mean east of Broadway? Sheridan & Wilson in particular was a bit sketch when I was there; not sure how it is now. I thought I read somewhere that the city is moving a lot of the mental health social services out of the area.

This building was used for social services, now luxury apartments:

Sheridan Plaza Apartments

Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb808 View Post
Sheridan Park is east of Clark; do you mean east of Broadway? Sheridan & Wilson in particular was a bit sketch when I was there; not sure how it is now. I thought I read somewhere that the city is moving a lot of the mental health social services out of the area.

This building was used for social services, now luxury apartments:

Sheridan Plaza Apartments
I would stay away from Truman College, which borders Sheridan Park on the east, but is west of Broadway.

I am not enough of a local to be aware of building-by-building improvements, but I do know the area is slowly improving. Sheridan Plaza Apartments looks nice. It only takes a few bad apples to make a neighborhood feel sketchy, but the bad apples do not travel far, so you have to have local knowledge to make a sensible rental decision in that part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago