Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,046 times

Advertisements

A school you may have not thought of...The University of Minnesota. If you really want a city school it's quite urban and not far from Chicago. Campus is a 10 minute ride on a brand new train from downtown. There's pro sports, music, restaurants, and theatre all ringing the campus.

Minnesota is much better ranked than any school you listed, has a Big Ten reputation, and is a lot cheaper than all but UIC for you. Midwest Exchange Program should let you go there for 150% of in state tuition. You get a football team, Big Ten basketball, a Greek system (if you are into it) and a kazilion local major companies to intern with. Psych program there is very good.

That you looked at Marquette -- in a rotten neighborhood of Milwaukee -- tells me you really want urban and not necessarily Chicago. Give Minnesota a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,528,892 times
The University of Minnesota does not participate in the MSEP program. the state of Minnesota has another reciprocity agreement with other states (and Manitoba), but Illinois is not among them.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,046 times
I stand corrected. The U of Minnesota used to be in it, but no longer is. Not even with my native Michigan from which I took advantage of it about 10 years ago. The program seems even larger than back in the day but times change I guess.

It's still a good option but I probably wouldn't do it on full out of state tuition.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,824,883 times
Alixanders,

Based on your input, my short answer is Marquette. It has the basketball atmosphere that you seek, as well as the sports, school spirit atmoaphere. Basketball has a very large presence on campus. As long as the financials worked out for you, and as long as you are willing to go away to school, albeit a short distance. Many other city & suburban Chicago kids do amd habe done the same. You get the college experience, and then if you want, you can then live in the city of Chicago after that. I have many friends who happily did this and attended graduate school at the various Chicago schools. I have a couple of psychology major friends who went to Marquette undergrad and then to Chicago schools for graduate school & then practiced in Chicago. One went to Loyola specifically for a counseling psychology program, and one to UIC.

Your test score is good enough to get into all of those schools.

You also have many other choices as well. How far away are you willing to go?

Being shy is common & you can attend just about any school and be shy. Just get involved in the things you enjoy or the the things you might think you would enjoy, and are curious about, and you will do just fine. Give it a little time, a semester or two and you will likely have your little group of close friends. Maybe even sooner with some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: