Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Once you are done with your Chicago ghetto tour you should consider a tour of Syria and Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 07:01 AM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Once you are done with your Chicago ghetto tour you should consider a tour of Syria and Iraq.
You've never been to the hood a day in your life.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Frickin hilarious! Well done.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:06 AM

Not really worth the risk in my opinion. While it's unlikely anything would happen to you, the chances are not negligible. The fact is, if you're a white guy, on a nice bike, with a backpack, iphone or whatever, and you're going through a nasty area, it's not unrealistic that some young gangbanger my want to prove his worth by playing the 'knockout' game with you.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 AM

Listen, I agree with everyone about not doing it but their reasons as to why also shows their lack of experiences in such areas. Knockout game? Iraq? Listen to me and just decide not to instead of listening to a few guys who believe everything that they see or read about the hood from other non-residents.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Listen, I agree with everyone about not doing it but their reasons as to why also shows their lack of experiences in such areas. Knockout game? Iraq? Listen to me and just decide not to instead of listening to a few guys who believe everything that they see or read about the hood from other non-residents.
Ummm, I do know what I'm talking about. I covered all the southside city health clinics, in the worst areas, for about 7 years back in the late 90s. I was a sales guy, wearing a suit, so people either thought I was a cop, detective or lawyer and didn't mess with me. But there were plenty of times in which if I didn't have street smarts, I would have been put in a very uncomfortable situation that could have ended poorly for me.
There were also a number of times when cops would ask me what I was doing in a particular neighborhood, since I was the only white guy seen all day. Some assumed I was there to buy drugs until I showed them my work stuff and was actually there working.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Ummm, I do know what I'm talking about. I covered all the southside city health clinics, in the worst areas, for about 7 years back in the late 90s. I was a sales guy, wearing a suit, so people either thought I was a cop, detective or lawyer and didn't mess with me. But there were plenty of times in which if I didn't have street smarts, I would have been put in a very uncomfortable situation that could have ended poorly for me.
There were also a number of times when cops would ask me what I was doing in a particular neighborhood, since I was the only white guy seen all day. Some assumed I was there to buy drugs until I showed them my work stuff and was actually there working.
So your experience trumps mine as a life long resident? Lol

You ever got knocked out? Shot? Stabbed? I thought so! Me either!

The climate is quite different now from what you've experienced in the 90's. You're basically admitting nothing ever happened to you which is my overall point. You can be in a bad situation in any neighborhood.

There are plenty of White and Asian store owners in the worst areas that have never had any issues, and I'm not talking about through a bullet - proof glass.

I don't suggest anyone touring via bike or walking through a troubled neighborhood, but I also don't suggest walking alone through ANY Chicago neighborhood after 11pm either.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
So your experience trumps mine as a life long resident? Lol

You ever got knocked out? Shot? Stabbed? I thought so! Me either!

The climate is quite different now from what you've experienced in the 90's. You're basically admitting nothing ever happened to you which is my overall point. You can be in a bad situation in any neighborhood.

There are plenty of White and Asian store owners in the worst areas that have never had any issues, and I'm not talking about through a bullet - proof glass.

I don't suggest anyone touring via bike or walking through a troubled neighborhood, but I also don't suggest walking alone through ANY Chicago neighborhood after 11pm either.
I'm not saying anything would happen either, probably very unlikely. BUT, it something were to happen, there's a greater chance of that happening in a bad southside neighborhood than, say, Lincoln Park. It's just statistics.
And, with all the racial tensions going on, I simply don't think a ride through the southside is a wise idea for someone that doesn't know the area, is naïve to the culture, or whatever. Again, the chances are slim, but they're much slimmer in other areas.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'm not saying anything would happen either, probably very unlikely. BUT, it something were to happen, there's a greater chance of that happening in a bad southside neighborhood than, say, Lincoln Park. It's just statistics.
And, with all the racial tensions going on, I simply don't think a ride through the southside is a wise idea for someone that doesn't know the area, is naïve to the culture, or whatever. Again, the chances are slim, but they're much slimmer in other areas.
Statistically you're right but race has little to do with it. It's more dangerous for me to take that trip than the OP.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
My friend Jim has told me many times that the south side of Chicago is the baddest part of town. If you go down there you better just beware of a man named Leroy Brown. He stands about 6 foot 4, all the ladies call him treetop lover, but the men just call him sir. He's the baddest man in the whole damn town, badder than old King Kong, and meaner than a junkyard dog. Leroy is a gambler and he likes his fancy clothes, he likes to wave his diamond rings in front of everybody's nose. He's got a custom continental, and an eldorado too, he's got a 32 gun in his pocket for fun, and he's got a razor in his shoe!

Do you really want to go there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago