Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:13 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times

Advertisements

NYC has hot dog carts all over. Why doesn't Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
Take time machine back to 1960, you'll find em.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
NYC doesn't have them all over anymore though there's still a good number but there's way more middle eastern carts now than anything.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post

Maybe because it is Chicago (NOT Chi) and you don't know where to look.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:24 AM

216 posts, read 313,874 times
There are a few scattered around: in front of Shedd Aquarium, there's one on Chicago Ave at Eckhart Park, sometimes I see one around Milwaukee and Pulaski, in various parks, etc.

The reason there are so few is because up until recently, the city had very stringent laws against street food vending. Asnine if you ask me. Street eating is the best kind of eating and for a city that takes such pride in its hot dogs, it's a shame that we have so few hot dog carts. The laws are turning around though so hopefully we see more carts appear in the future.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:52 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,762 times
I dont see anything changing super soon. The city is still pretty strict on food prep regulations. Just look at how difficult it was to get food trucks set up as an example. The only real food carts I see are Mexican vendors in areas like Pilsen/Little Village, but I imagine theyre in a legal grey area.

This is a big reason why Chicago has so many dog/beef shacks. You can still get "street food", but its coming from a kitchen thats subject to inspections.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,926 times
There were a bunch of these in Bridgeport in the 80's/90's. There are still a few but not like there used to be.

There was someone at the bottom of the 18th street southbound ramp from the Ryan for decades.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,932 times
I dont think I'm every a few blocks away from a hotdog stand or a place that sells Chicago 'street food. They are typically open till early morning as well.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:45 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
The only real food carts I see are Mexican vendors in areas like Pilsen/Little Village, but I imagine theyre in a legal grey area.
Yes, all over in Little Village and other Mexican neighborhoods, you got these little taco stands, for tortas, some of these Mexican desserts, etc.

You know how along the lake and stuff you got these Mexicans walking their mobile-freezers on wheels with popsicles inside. Just another cultural thing.

But it's hardly a "White people" thing to have a stand, like in an agora. And if White people did have such things, then they very likely will have hotdogs.

Nobody does anything like that in Black neighborhoods.

There used to be a stand outside Clark-Devon hardware store, by the playground, that had hotdogs and burgers years ago.

Someone brought up the legality of it. Perhaps that could be the case and I have no idea about it.

It could be a law that isn't enforced by police driving around, such that if you tried to get a permit from the city, you will be denied it.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 AM

138 posts, read 172,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
This is a big reason why Chicago has so many dog/beef shacks. You can still get "street food", but its coming from a kitchen thats subject to inspections.
You know, this might be my bias against street food in other places. Street food for me comes from a place like you describe. But I'm Chicago that way.

I wonder if the ubiquitous dog and beef shacks kind of push the locals to be biased against carts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago