Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,078,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Beginning August 1, Jewel is not going to have the plastic grocery bags anymore. Either you have to bring yours and re-use them - which will last about 3 times since they tend to rip after using them - or you have to buy the $1.49 plastic re-usable shopping bags. Or maybe they will provide paper bags i hope. this sucks. they are trying to be environmentally conscious but i re-use those bags for many things. now i dont know what they are going to do to pack your groceries. The cashier was telling me sunday that i better buy enough of those $1.49 bags before other customers buy them and they run out. this is so retarded of an idea. Thank you Tree-Huggers idiots.
There are plenty of re-usable shopping bags other than the Jewel ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,611,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
There are plenty of re-usable shopping bags other than the Jewel ones.
So I am not sure what Jewel will do when customers do not have plastic bags, if they will make us purchase them for $1.49 each or what.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:39 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,141,628 times
Quote:
So I am not sure what Jewel will do when customers do not have plastic bags, if they will make us purchase them for $1.49 each or what.
Or they will give you paper bags.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 AM

89 posts, read 116,618 times
Quote:
They had these grocery bags on a hook next to the cashier. $1.49 for each.

Many of us recycle them by using them as garbage bags, to take your lunch to work, to carry stuff back and forth, as a rainhat when it rains, and to pick up dog poop.

we have to be careful about re-using bags, if you have packed meat in them and the juice from the meat runs out inside the bag you cant put fresh food in there that you wont cook because the raw meat juice will bring bacteria onto your food.
There are special plastic bags for meat, right next to meat section or counter. All stores offer them. you need to put meat in those bags before putting them to grocery bags., before putting them in a cart as a matter of fact. They have them even in Trader Joes, store that never gave away plastic bags and was one of the first to offer reusable bags. Whole foods is encouraging people to pack produce in small paper bags, but they kept plastic bags for meat.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,190,403 times
It's crazy how Jewel is so overpriced on everything. Basic reusable bags are .99 cents at other stores.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Here's the class breakdown of grocery stores in the Chicago area, from lace curtains to shanties.

Whole Foods
Fresh Market
Mariano's
Strack and Van Til
Trader Joe's
Jewel
Ultra
Aldi's
You forgot Tony's and Butera, generally bottom-feeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Target allows it? Umm, aren't those women adults who can choose to wear a shirt buttoned up if they choose? Or do you think women are like helpless children who need someone in authority to make decisions for them?
Never heard of a dress code before?

Old 07-13-2015, 05:16 AM

867 posts, read 1,374,395 times
Quote:
Here's the class breakdown of grocery stores in the Chicago area, from lace curtains to shanties.

Whole Foods
Fresh Market
Mariano's
Strack and Van Til
Trader Joe's
Jewel
Ultra
Aldi's
You forgot Food4Less, Sav-a-lot and Pete's.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:50 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,264,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Whole Foods above Fresh Market? Hmm...
Whole Foods has better organic selection.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:53 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,264,537 times
I'm haven't seen those other markets except for Pete's. I've never been in a Pete's so I don't know where it stands.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:37 PM

867 posts, read 1,374,395 times
Quote:
I'm haven't seen those other markets except for Pete's. I've never been in a Pete's so I don't know where it stands.
So you made a list that's only relative to what you're familiar with? Now I question your rankings, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago