Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,964,152 times

Advertisements

^ In my opinion it's healthier, but it all depends on what you're getting out of it. For example, you may really work hard from 9am until 9:30pm in NYC, but what are you getting out of it? You come home and probably sleep not too long after it. You don't have much left for your personal life and maybe you get a relatively small raise. If you have a family, you aren't spending much time with them. If you are going to only get a $100/month raise (after taxes) for it, is it worth it? Guess that is subjective.

It's not always worth it IMO, but that's just me. The more I work in NYC, the more I miss the work life balance in Chicago. IMO it's more of the way it should be - balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM

62 posts, read 122,697 times
I have discussed this at length with several people that like me, have lived and worked in both Manhattan and downtown Chicago/Loop. First off, it really depends on the industry as both cities have rat races of varying intensities. Speaking in generalized terms though I feel that overall New York's rat race is more intense, more competitive and more desperate than corporate Chicago. Corporate New York is much more prone to staying late, ordering food in, taking a town car home, or simply being put up in a hotel nearby so you have zero distractions during your project. That being said, I feel like corporate Chicagoans go to work earlier in the morning, work very hard, and punch out earlier than corporate New Yorkers.

On a side note, the earlier to work phenomenon at least alleged by me, may have to do with central time zone augmenting itself to eastern time zone due to the NYSE (which option trading, hedge funds, other finance, and other Chicago industries through ripple effect align with EST) and strong business ties between the two cities for countless other industries. It could arguably have something to do with Chicago's traditional blue collar/Industrial/hog butcher/lunch pale legacy as well which is more recent and more intense than New York's. Of course manufacturing in Chicagoland as else where in the western world is now largely automated, technical, and nothing like the manufacturing world pre outsourcing & automation.

Anyways, back to the point I think New York City is where the largest and most competitive rat race(s) exist. There are simply a lot more people competing for the same spot/dream there than anywhere else in the US. There are people from all over the country that have equated living & working in NYC on mythic levels of success and move their to achieve that dream at all costs. Chicago has lots of hustle to get ahead too, but it doesn't seem like there are nearly as many desperate dreamy eyed transplants from podunk Califorina or Pennsylvania or wherever sacrificing everything to slave away with 4 roommates as an impoverished copy writer, intern, account analyst, etc.. In summary, it is my belief that the mythic barometer of success and self worth that NYC represent to many(transplant and natives alike), as well as the sheer size of the metro(people wise and economics wise) and potential monetary rewards to be at the top make NYC the greatest rat race in the US by a very good measure.

Chicago is probably #2, although it is my understanding that the DC rat race can get down right nasty as well. San Francisco feels much more laid back than Chicago on the streets, attitudes, work flexibility, but working in tech can include extremely long hours and intense competition for jobs. LA is another animal, I don't think that it is a particularly competitive outside of entertainment. My favorite thing about LA is probably the laid back easy going nature of the people there, at least my friends, relatives, and the businesses I interact with all seem very laid back and easy to work with to me.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,964,152 times
^ These are good insights above and I mostly agree with them. It entirely depends on your industry, but in the end NYC is above everywhere else with rat race in the US.

The thing though is that not everyone starts "early" in Chicago. I used to not get in until 9 or 930 everyday and almost everyone in my office was the same. There were many people, obviously office workers, going to work on the train with me at that time too. It's less busy around then but it can still be busy. There are other people I work with who didn't start until after 10am everyday too.

it really depends on your industry in the end though - some in Chicago are more rat race than others, but not everything is. You'll more likely see people telling you to stop working at 6pm to come for a drink in Chicago than you'd see in NYC for sure.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,279 times
No, it does not have a rat race feel. It's busy, exciting, and congested but when I moved here a few years ago, the biggest thing I noticed, maybe felt is a better word, is the softness around the edges. That really stood out for me as I hadn't experienced that before. It is truly a midwest city. A really big one, but midwest nonetheless.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 AM

113 posts, read 145,569 times
Great way to put it. Chicago is an easier city to live in.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Bueno View Post
I have discussed this at length with several people that like me, have lived and worked in both Manhattan and downtown Chicago/Loop. First off, it really depends on the industry as both cities have rat races of varying intensities. Speaking in generalized terms though I feel that overall New York's rat race is more intense, more competitive and more desperate than corporate Chicago. Corporate New York is much more prone to staying late, ordering food in, taking a town car home, or simply being put up in a hotel nearby so you have zero distractions during your project. That being said, I feel like corporate Chicagoans go to work earlier in the morning, work very hard, and punch out earlier than corporate New Yorkers.

On a side note, the earlier to work phenomenon at least alleged by me, may have to do with central time zone augmenting itself to eastern time zone due to the NYSE (which option trading, hedge funds, other finance, and other Chicago industries through ripple effect align with EST) and strong business ties between the two cities for countless other industries. It could arguably have something to do with Chicago's traditional blue collar/Industrial/hog butcher/lunch pale legacy as well which is more recent and more intense than New York's. Of course manufacturing in Chicagoland as else where in the western world is now largely automated, technical, and nothing like the manufacturing world pre outsourcing & automation.

Anyways, back to the point I think New York City is where the largest and most competitive rat race(s) exist. There are simply a lot more people competing for the same spot/dream there than anywhere else in the US. There are people from all over the country that have equated living & working in NYC on mythic levels of success and move their to achieve that dream at all costs. Chicago has lots of hustle to get ahead too, but it doesn't seem like there are nearly as many desperate dreamy eyed transplants from podunk Califorina or Pennsylvania or wherever sacrificing everything to slave away with 4 roommates as an impoverished copy writer, intern, account analyst, etc.. In summary, it is my belief that the mythic barometer of success and self worth that NYC represent to many(transplant and natives alike), as well as the sheer size of the metro(people wise and economics wise) and potential monetary rewards to be at the top make NYC the greatest rat race in the US by a very good measure.

Chicago is probably #2, although it is my understanding that the DC rat race can get down right nasty as well. San Francisco feels much more laid back than Chicago on the streets, attitudes, work flexibility, but working in tech can include extremely long hours and intense competition for jobs. LA is another animal, I don't think that it is a particularly competitive outside of entertainment. My favorite thing about LA is probably the laid back easy going nature of the people there, at least my friends, relatives, and the businesses I interact with all seem very laid back and easy to work with to me.
Exactly this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago