Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

91 posts, read 484,062 times

Advertisements

Total Drivel: Toyota Opens 9th Manufacturing Plant, Hires Non-Union Workers
NPR : Toyota Powers Ahead at Kentucky Plant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM

Two workers - one from Ford, one from Honda, both American - Plain Dealer Extra

Old 01-14-2008, 02:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I actually am very surprised they are not union, well really more surprised they've been able to stay non-union, but I'm not sure exactly what this proves in relation to what we were debating.

Pensions are a huge problem for GM and Ford, yes, and the union costs them a fortune (the union forced Ford to pay for my step brother in law to go to HVAC school after something like the 6th time he'd been laid off in a decade), but another major problem they're dealing with: No one wants their big, wasteful, "my tranny went out at 45k", cars anymore. They were way too slow to get on board with the hybrid trend and thats what they (and their employees) are really paying the price for now.

Anyway- point being, even non-union Toyota still pays those employees over 20/hour - not exactly the slave wages of Nike and Sony plants in China and other places.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM

But if you ask an unemployed worker in Buffalo if they'd work for that wage with half the benefits you'd hear "slave labor" used in a lot of arguments. That's why the economy is growing in places that don't drive labor laws down the throats of companies and instead give incentives to do business there. That's the difference between the sagging, sad economy of Michigan, and the thriving, growing economy of Phoenix.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:44 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
AVENGORFIRE: NO I am not ELITE. I worked in a Grocery store years ago and quit because I was accused of being a SQUEALER to the union and not a COMPANY MAN. Later found out that I had no future with the Grocery Chain because of the alligation. I went into business on my own and made more money in the 2 wks after quitting then what I would have made in 3 months at Union scale. Had the business 15 yrs (Grocery Inventory). Took 4 day vacations every 3 months (mostly to Vegas). Had 4 other businesses (all started at scratch) during a 35 yr span. Most owner operated business owners who start out at scratch work 12-15 hr days to get it going. They make LESS then MINIMUM WAGES that people complain about making. I am only one month new on these different posts and have reached a modest reputation of 36. If you have any B****, get up off your duff and start your own business. Steve

Old 01-14-2008, 02:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Anyway- point being, even non-union Toyota still pays those employees over 20/hour - not exactly the slave wages of Nike and Sony plants in China and other places.
Several questions:
1. Are you proposing that wages not be linked to productivity? Perhaps a world wide minimum wage?
2. Who decides what is a "fair" minimum wage?
3. Similarly, who decides what is an "adequate profit"?
4. Does the UN get to make this decision?
5. If a company can't make a profit in 3rd world country "X" paying the minimum wage due to the illiterate, low-skill workforce are they FORCED to keep their money-losing factory open?

Yes, minimum wage laws work in the US, and I'm all in favor of that, but it doesn't seem like there is a way to make it work world-wide.

I'm all for charity. I'm fairly bleeding heart in my political sympathies, but at the same time I understand that businesses need to be profitable.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM

GM is actually at the forefront of the alternative fuel push, they are the main developers of 100% electric and hydrogen cars. Unfortunately the customers they appeal to aren't interested in this. The Press loves to give lots of praise to foreign cars because it's fashionable. Their real demise is the labor issues they have.
GM'S Race To The Future THE INSIDE STORY OF HOW THE WORLD'S BIGGEST AUTOMAKER CAME TO SEE THE HYDROGEN CAR AS ITS SALVATION--AND TOOK THE LEAD IN THE ENGINEERING CHALLENGE OF THE CENTURY - October 1, 2003
GM General Motors: Fuel Economy, Hybrid Vehicles & Advanced Vehicles Info (broken link)
From consumer reports:
V-6 versions of Toyota's top-selling Camry sedan earned "below average" ratings as did some versions of its new Tundra pickup. More than just an embarrassment for the company, the reliability drop will mean more scrutiny from the magazine in the future.

Because of its stellar quality track record, Consumers Reports' has automatically granted new Toyota models "above average" rankings and buy recommendations for new models. For other manufacturers, new models don't receive a reliability ranking because they haven't been around long enough to generate repair data.

"(We) will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design," the magazine said in its news release.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 PM

87 posts, read 119,257 times
The market overrides any political movement. If a person will work somewhere for 10 cents a day someone will put them to work regardless of what some dogooder says.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson84606 View Post
GM is actually at the forefront of the alternative fuel push, they are the main developers of 100% electric and hydrogen cars. Unfortunately the customers they appeal to aren't interested in this. The Press loves to give lots of praise to foreign cars because it's fashionable. Their real demise is the labor issues they have.
GM'S Race To The Future THE INSIDE STORY OF HOW THE WORLD'S BIGGEST AUTOMAKER CAME TO SEE THE HYDROGEN CAR AS ITS SALVATION--AND TOOK THE LEAD IN THE ENGINEERING CHALLENGE OF THE CENTURY - October 1, 2003
GM General Motors: Fuel Economy, Hybrid Vehicles & Advanced Vehicles Info (broken link)
From consumer reports:
V-6 versions of Toyota's top-selling Camry sedan earned "below average" ratings as did some versions of its new Tundra pickup. More than just an embarrassment for the company, the reliability drop will mean more scrutiny from the magazine in the future.

Because of its stellar quality track record, Consumers Reports' has automatically granted new Toyota models "above average" rankings and buy recommendations for new models. For other manufacturers, new models don't receive a reliability ranking because they haven't been around long enough to generate repair data.

"(We) will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design," the magazine said in its news release.

If GM is on the forefront of this why did they only a couple of years ago dismiss hybrids as a fad?

I am so over this conversation. No company is perfect, but many do their best to do as little for the world as possible. This is not a business model I could give two s**ts about.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson84606 View Post
From consumer reports:

Watch "Who killed the Electric Car".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago