Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Look, the fact of the matter is is that a majority of Chicago relies and is dependent on big box department stores, and yes that includes both Lincoln Park yuppies and people in middle/lower classes alike. Please give me the name of five "mom and pop" stores that remain on the north side that you would even blink an eye at if they were to just disappear one day. Now compare that with the Target on Elston or the Best Buy on North Ave for instance, and just imagine what the difference would be. Though 21 stores is ridiculous, the presence of Wal-Mart won't change anything in Chicago. If anything, it'll just bring more jobs to the city that local places like Dominicks and Jewel refuse to give out. Good riddance if you ask me.
As a "Lincoln Park yuppie" I can't really name 5 places I would die without. The Marketplace maybe. Personally I never go to Target, Best Buy, Jewel or whatever but thats just because I don't shop a ton.

Walmart does tend to kill off small shops, but thats really your/our fault. I don't think it will drastically change anything long term. It will take business away from a few places but it isn't going to destroy the fabric of established communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Tell me the name of the person that wrote this article, I need to pay this guy a visit. Who the hell does he think he is to generalize a whole city and making it look "desperate" for his crummy 3rd rate article?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Look, the fact of the matter is is that a majority of Chicago relies and is dependent on big box department stores, and yes that includes both Lincoln Park yuppies and people in middle/lower classes alike. Please give me the name of five "mom and pop" stores that remain on the north side that you would even blink an eye at if they were to just disappear one day. Now compare that with the Target on Elston or the Best Buy on North Ave for instance, and just imagine what the difference would be. Though 21 stores is ridiculous, the presence of Wal-Mart won't change anything in Chicago. If anything, it'll just bring more jobs to the city that local places like Dominicks and Jewel refuse to give out. Good riddance if you ask me.
There is nothing those big box stores sell that you can't get on the Internet, and not being gouged for taxes usually cancels out shipping (or you come out ahead on the Net).

The only thing those stores offer you can't really get on the Net is food - which is what Jewel, Dominick's, Aldi's, etc. offer.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
btw, there will be nothing written in stone regarding job creation:

http://www.newrules.org/sites/newrul..._wm_vacant.jpg

Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM

211 posts, read 394,779 times
Default walmart and home value

Any guestimates on what (future) walmart at 111th and Bishop Ford X-way, will do to home values in surrounding, nearby areas? (South Chicago, Calumet Heights etc. Six minutes away, by car)

Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Who wouldn't want to live near such a remarkable amenity?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
I do not see how it could go anywhere but up.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
I agree with Avengerfire but you also need to realize that those areas are in long-term economic decline whether or not walmart and a few other big box retail outfits come in. Not much upside for those areas.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
Any guestimates on what (future) walmart at 111th and Bishop Ford X-way, will do to home values in surrounding, nearby areas? (South Chicago, Calumet Heights etc. Six minutes away, by car)
Not much.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
There will be a Walmart job fair on Friday, July 23.

Walmart Seeks New Workers Through Job Fair - Chicago News (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/walmart-seeks-new-workers-through-job-fair-20100722 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago