Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Just consider it a free Loop tour every morning. You get a mostly empty train on that last leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Just consider it a free Loop tour every morning. You get a mostly empty train on that last leg.
As stupid as this may sound, I really miss the days of taking the formerly-known-as-the-Ravenswood train into the Loop. Even though it took a lot longer coming from Belmont, I always enjoyed the views of the City -

and anyone else remember that hilarious back porch with the person who put bible quotes on a sign? problem was, the sign was pitifully small so quotes had to be really short, and thus not particularly useful.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM

128 posts, read 413,568 times
Having lived in Lincoln Square in 2006 (at the corner of Lincoln and Sunnyside), and then recently, Roscoe Village (just off of Roscoe & Damen)…I would go with the Lincoln Square area.

That being said, for more bang for your buck, I would consider the areas just west and north of Lincoln Square. I moved from RV a couple of months ago to the LS area (again), but near the river and north of Lawrence. I found a lot of nice, BIG, cheaper apartments in this particular area. Also, in my opinion, this area is more multicultural than RV (something I have missed since leaving NYC). The center of LS is still a bit homogenous, and there are a lot of baby strollers, but it has a more interesting vibe than RV, I think. I miss the quaint streets of Roscoe Village, but I prefer Lincoln Square.

I did a lot of research on this forum before my move, and got wonderful advice from everyone. You’re in good hands! Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM

60 posts, read 127,695 times
Thanks for all the info. The $700 limit includes utilities. So if the Red line is faster, would that make Lincoln Square and Edgewater about the same distance time wise?

The comparisons that some of you have made between Roscoe Village and Lincoln Square have been very helpful, but North Center/St. Ben's doesn't seem to get as much attention. How does that area compare with the other two?

I plan on visiting some of these areas this weekend. Also, will be digging through some more threads. Great resource!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden Is Cold View Post
...but North Center/St. Ben's doesn't seem to get as much attention...
The St. Ben's portion of North Center seems to be priced higher (from my experience looking for apartments) than many other parts of North Center. That of course does not mean you cannot find a decent priced place in the St. Ben's area.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Most of the neighborhoods along the Brown Line are very safe and family friendly, from RANCH Triangle to Ravenswood Manor. You really can't go wrong once you get north of Cabrini and the Marshall Field Homes (off of the Sedgwick stop). Albany Park can get a little hairy in some spots too (near the end of the line), but it includes the family mecca of Ravenswood Manor (home of our famour hair helmetted one).

Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 PM

60 posts, read 127,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The St. Ben's portion of North Center seems to be priced higher (from my experience looking for apartments) than many other parts of North Center. That of course does not mean you cannot find a decent priced place in the St. Ben's area.
By "other parts of North Center" you mean Roscoe Village and Horner Park? I'm going off of the official city neighborhood map, which lists North Center separately, in the area I'm guessing is what you refer to as St. Ben's.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden Is Cold View Post
By "other parts of North Center" you mean Roscoe Village and Horner Park? I'm going off of the official city neighborhood map, which lists North Center separately, in the area I'm guessing is what you refer to as St. Ben's.
No. I meant North Center the neighborhood itself. St. Ben's is not listed as an official neighborhood on the map. So you would have to look at it as the couple blocks around the church as "St. Ben's"... Maybe two blocks in each direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago