Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Let's not exaggerate the "Chicago winter" factor when discussing retirement options. THere are also many cab options, and taking an occasional cab in Chicago is not going to break the bank (especially when compared with the upkeep of a car, i.e. gas, insurance, maintenance, payments, etc).

I'm speaking about what it is like to be older and have permanent mobility issues/pain etc.. and trying to live in Chicago in the winter. You don't realize how poor neighbors and businesses can be about clearing sidewalks and curb cutouts so that you can safely walk to the train. And wet/snowy train station steps..... Falls are common. It is what it is.

Of course there are many many people who retire in Chicago and enjoy city living. And of course, most people are stunned when they develop health problems and try to accommodate to snow. It ain't pretty.

I still favor city living for many retirees.... but my main reason is to be close to good medical care! Sad, I know... but it's what I learned from my parent's experience. Always live within ambulance distance to a decent hospital...

I encourage the OP to come out and spend a couple weeks of vacation here, especially during the winter, and take public transportation from the area you want to live in to places you would like to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
My mom was disabled. She lived with a walker quite happily in an elevator building with underground parking and did well. Yes it would be really tough if she had to navigate the streets, no way to do it she could not walk much.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I really appreciate this discussion as I have had fantasies of retiring (or at least living ) in Chicago.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:18 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
If you are fine with the miserable winters, then go for it!

Are you sure you really understand these cities, though? You claimed that Chicago had "exactly same big city feel" as NYC, yet they are nothing really alike, then you claimed that you wanted to move to Chicago to "experience four seasons" when like 90% of the U.S. has the equivalent of four seasons. Do your research, visit different places, and good luck. Maybe take a one year lease and see how it goes.

If you're fine with no car in February, waiting outside for the bus in gritty Logan Square in subzero temps, then you will be fine year-round. Not my idea of retirement, but different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1024 View Post
Everybody seems to talk about 'L' as if it was the only way how to go around the City. But it isn't...
Nobody is saying that -- but let's be realistic, if you want to get around town with any kind of speed, living near an L line is key. Bus coverage is comprehensive, but not time-efficient (with the exception of rush-hour express service on LSD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago