Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:44 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I'm in a rehabbed vintage building, love it. Exposed brick, stainless appliances, porch, central heat/air, washer/dryer in unit, hardwood floors, jacuzzi tub... it's heaven. But it's a vintage walk-up with a sense of community that megaplex apartment buildings in Phoenix lacked for us.

I ride the CTA at all hours but it takes a lot to scare me, so maybe I'm not the best judge. Driving here is too damn expensive. We sold our car when we moved here and, unfortunately, had to purchase one for my job.

That does sound nice. Which part of town do you live in?

Sounds like you like it better than Phoenix there, glad you're enjoying it. How is the social atmosphere different from Arizona? It's pretty insular here in Phoenix, people are friendly but keep to themselves IMHO. Is the vibe different in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Where is this "fantastic new Orange Line station"?

Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Roosevelt is not "new" anymore. It has been a real boost to the level of commerce / activity nearby.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 PM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Hello Chicagoans,

I have posted here before looking for a neighborhood to live in your fine city. I am a SWF, will be commuting from O'Hare/MDW about once a week, looking for a preferably walkable area so that I can go car-free.

Originally I was thinking Logan Square/Wicker park area but after visiting a couple of weeks ago I don't think I'd be happy in those areas. Coming from Arizona where EVERYTHING - roads, houses, parks, buses - is new, clean and shiny, Chicago is definitely a big change for a spoiled brat like me

So I'm reconsidering my options on where to live and right now I'm leaning towards living in the Loop since it seems to be a convenient option for me as well as clean and modern which I, admittedly, appreciate. However, my concern is safety of that area.

So the question is, is it a good idea to live in that area for a short dainty woman who is a pretty easy target? I will be taking the CTA from MDW/ORD during wee hours (as early as 4 am and as late as 11 pm) - is it safe or is it better to go with another neighborhood and keep the car?
I am baffled as to what your pics are supposed to represent; they seem to have nothing to do with your question. The second one is actually taken in my neighborhood and depicts one of the worst hot dog stands in the city (Mic Ducks, more like Mic Sucks!)

As for living in the Loop, it all boils down to how much you care about having a neighborhood feel. The Loop empties out after working hours and becomes very lifeless, albeit safe. For entertainment options, you have the Randolph St restaurant corridor to the west and the clubbing district in River North, both of which are at least a cab ride away, as there isn't much in the Loop itself.

If you really want to live in a clean, shiny, modern building I would look in River North. Still convenient to both airports and has at least a semblance of neighborhood character.

Last edited by eating while walking; 02-24-2015 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
I am baffled as to what your pics are supposed to represent; they seem to have nothing to do with your question. The second one is actually taken in my neighborhood and depicts one of the worst hot dog stands in the city (Mic Ducks, more like Mic Sucks!)

As for living in the Loop, it all boils down to how much you care about having a neighborhood feel. The Loop empties out after working hours and becomes very lifeless, albeit safe. For entertainment options, you have the Randolph St restaurant corridor to the west and the clubbing district in River North, both of which are at least a cab ride away, as there isn't much in the Loop itself.

If you really want to live in a clean, shiny, modern building I would look in River North. Still convenient to both airports and has at least a semblance of neighborhood character.

I would absolutely love to live in River North and will definitely look into that area. My concern is, again, being able to get to O'Hare quickly. My employer has certain requirements as far as when I have to be at the airport, and usually I only have 1 hour to get from my front door to the terminal. If I have to wait for 15-20 minutes to make a transfer that's just not going to work.

I was hoping that Logan Square would work but I don't think it will be a good fit, so I'm looking closer to downtown.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Hello Chicagoans,

I have posted here before looking for a neighborhood to live in your fine city. I am a SWF, will be commuting from O'Hare/MDW about once a week, looking for a preferably walkable area so that I can go car-free.

Originally I was thinking Logan Square/Wicker park area but after visiting a couple of weeks ago I don't think I'd be happy in those areas. Coming from Arizona where EVERYTHING - roads, houses, parks, buses - is new, clean and shiny, Chicago is definitely a big change for a spoiled brat like me

So I'm reconsidering my options on where to live and right now I'm leaning towards living in the Loop since it seems to be a convenient option for me as well as clean and modern which I, admittedly, appreciate. However, my concern is safety of that area.

So the question is, is it a good idea to live in that area for a short dainty woman who is a pretty easy target? I will be taking the CTA from MDW/ORD during wee hours (as early as 4 am and as late as 11 pm) - is it safe or is it better to go with another neighborhood and keep the car?
In general you will will find the more "new and modern" buildings in the Loop. River North is another area where you will find newer apartment buildings as well. The Loop (especially) and River North are the epicenter of 'downtown' so safety is no concern at all, no matter what time.

This came up on these threads a while ago, but in the neighborhoods farther away from downtown, the housing stock will definitely be older than what you are used to in Arizona, but the interiors of a lot of these buildings have been completely renovated and refurnished, so it may be worth checking them out first (if you haven't already) before discounting them. Many of them look clean and modern in the interior. Also, you need to take into consideration that in the fall/spring/summer there is a lot more greenery and these neighborhoods look a lot nicer.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
In general you will will find the more "new and modern" buildings in the Loop. River North is another area where you will find newer apartment buildings as well. The Loop (especially) and River North are the epicenter of 'downtown' so safety is no concern at all, no matter what time.

This came up on these threads a while ago, but in the neighborhoods farther away from downtown, the housing stock will definitely be older than what you are used to in Arizona, but the interiors of a lot of these buildings have been completely renovated and refurnished, so it may be worth checking them out first (if you haven't already) before discounting them. Many of them look clean and modern in the interior. Also, you need to take into consideration that in the fall/spring/summer there is a lot more greenery and these neighborhoods look a lot nicer.
Personone, thanks!

Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Chicago really does not sound like a good fit for you.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Personone, thanks!
You are welcome. Another area that would seem to be a good fit for you is "Lakeshore East". It is a planned community; all new, modern buildings to the east of Loop. It's right on the Lake and there is a park right in the middle. There is a Mariano's (nice grocery store) and lot's of convenience shops there.

The only drawback is that it is that the closest CTA and Metra stops are a little bit of a hike, but not too far. It is a very expensive area. It doesn't have your true Chicago neighborhood feel because it is so modern and is a planned community, but it sounds like it could be a good fit for what you're looking for. Definitely worth looking into, but it is a very pricey area.

"Streeterville" is another area I forgot to mention that also has more new, modern apartments/feel.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Few people really want to live in the Loop proper. It's a business district; it largely closes after business hours.

On Saturdays and Subdays a lot of the restaurants aren't even open.

But, there is nothing wrong with living there, as long as you understand the nature if it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: