Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,972,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
And the violent crime - is Chicago not the murder capital?
No, it's not. I think we've been through this on this site a million times, though. But Florida is perennially a crime leader, and it's pretty well spread throughout the state.

In Chicago it's easy to avoid trouble. In Florida the trouble finds you.

If you want to ignore the perils of rising sea levels, have at it. I hope you're in your advanced years then, however. It's a much bigger deal for the young. And the sad thing is that they even effect the weather here in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 02:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,972,904 times
Quote:
Death from sink holes is so slim - I think I'd be better off being worried about getting struck by lightning.
Death is uncommon. You're more likely to have the structural integrity of your house compromised, making it impossible to sell. And it will only get worse as aquifers are drained.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:19 PM

605 posts, read 719,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No, it's not. I think we've been through this on this site a million times, though. But Florida is perennially a crime leader, and it's pretty well spread throughout the state.

In Chicago it's easy to avoid trouble. In Florida the trouble finds you.

If you want to ignore the perils of rising sea levels, have at it. I hope you're in your advanced years then, however. It's a much bigger deal for the young. And the sad thing is that they even effect the weather here in Chicago.
I think it is the murder capital, or at least close to being it.

I have done a lot of reading on the C-D Florida forums, and most people said the same about Florida - there are good and bad areas (like everywhere) and the good areas can be very, very good. So I think you are misinformed about the crime and just making assumptions based on generalized statistics.

We will have to agree to disagree about the whole "global warming/rising sea level" stuff.

Great lakes are frozen over completely, ice caps are growing at the poles (not shrinking), and I'm supposed to believe that "warming" causes more snowfall? Then if we had global cooling would there be less snowfall? Even if the earth IS warming, I believe that that's a totally natural phenomenon. I mean, we did used to have an ice age, how did that go away without man to cause it? We live on a planet that is in constant flux and there are no guarantees anywhere. I have to weigh my risks and the sea level rising isn't on my radar. I have been going to Florida for over 30 years and it hasn't risen to where there have been any changes to the places I go in all those years. I can only reasonably expect to live another 25 or 30 years anyway, and it's not likely anything significant will happen in that time either. Even Venice Italy, which is sinking relatively fast, is going down soooooo slooooowwwly, it's not like all of sudden it will just disappear into the sea like Pompeii was instantly covered in ash. The sea level isn't going to rise all of a sudden like a Tsunami out of nowhere and swallow everything up. If it does rise, it will be in inches over a very, very long time.

But I don't really care if you believe in global warming (oh yeah, it's "climate change" now LOL), I realize I won't change your mind about it, nor will you change mine. I have zero desire to debate global warming. I will just have to take my chances if I end up in Florida, and if I'm wrong, you will get to enjoy a good laugh at me as I drown in the ocean. I can live with that.

Last edited by Bellamouse; 02-25-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Death is uncommon. You're more likely to have the structural integrity of your house compromised, making it impossible to sell. And it will only get worse as aquifers are drained.

That's what insurance is for. There is not a huge problem with thousands upon thousands of unsellable homes there, either. So it can't be that huge of a problem. If you want to spend your life being afraid of things there are slight chances for, be my guest. You'd better leave Chicago too - you could get lung cancer from the radon in your basement. Or from all the pollution outside. You could get cancer from the lack of sunshine (vitamin D). Might not want to drive your car either - you could get in an accident.

I appreciate that you have your fears (we all do), but I do not share your fears. Thanks though.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:48 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,478,892 times
Chicago is not the murder capital of the US nor is it even close. It's not in the top 30 list, nor is it even in the top 10 "large cities" list, despite being the 3rd largest city. That said, neither are any cities in Florida.

Regarding rising water levels, these already affect Miami. It's not that the city will wash away, but more that the sewer and fresh water systems will be ruined. Some studies have shown this will become a major issue in as few as 15 years based on current trends.

Whether or not rising water levels affect the rest of Florida structurally, I don't know. However, a disruption of Miami on the scale of Katrina in NO would likely cause a lot of problems rippling through the state, at the very least depressing home values state wide and causing a loss of the state's largest tax base.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,106,181 times
Quote:
I think it is the murder capital, or at least close to being it.

I have done a lot of reading on the C-D Florida forums, and most people said the same about Florida - there are good and bad areas (like everywhere) and the good areas can be very, very good. So I think you are misinformed about the crime.

We will have to agree to disagree about the whole "global warming/rising sea level" stuff.

Great lakes are frozen over completely, ice caps are growing at the poles (not shrinking), and I'm supposed to believe that "warming" causes more snowfall? Then if we had global cooling would there be less snowfall?

But I don't really care if you believe in global warming (oh yeah, it's "climate change" now LOL), I realize I won't change your mind about it, nor will you change mine. I have zero desire to debate global warming. I will just have to take my chances if I end up in Florida, and if I'm wrong, you will get to enjoy a good laugh at me as I drown in the ocean. I can live with that.
Chicago is NOT the murder capital. We have been through this many times before.

Despite recent shootings, Chicago nowhere near U.S. ‘murder capital’ | Pew Research Center

Quote:
In fact, what’s striking is that from 1985 through 2012 only six cities have held the anti-honor of having the nation’s highest murder rate: New Orleans (12 times, most recently in 2011); Washington, D.C. (eight times, most recently in 1999); Detroit (four times, most recently 2006), Flint, Mich. (twice, also in 2010); Richmond, Va. (once, in 1997) and Birmingham, Ala. (once, in 2005).
Global warming is NOT inconsistent with more snow.

http://www.weather.com/science/envir...falls-20140828

Quote:
While the average annual snowfall in most parts of the world is indeed expected to decline, the extreme snowfalls — those that hit a place once every 10 or 20 years and can cause major headaches and economic impacts — may decline at a slower rate, and could even increase in particularly cold places, a new study detailed in the Aug. 28 issue of the journal Nature finds.

Essentially, in a warming world, there are “more muted changes in [the intensity of] snowfall extremes than in average snowfall,” said study author Paul O’Gorman, a climate researcher at MIT.
The ice caps are more complicated. It's causing some puzzles.
Antarctic sea ice reaches record high, as Arctic hits 2014 minimum

Quote:
The minimum ever recorded at the North Pole was 3.29m sq km in 2012 – and the eight lowest years have been the last eight years.

Meanwhile, sea ice in the Antarctic has advanced beyond 20m sq km for the first time – and it is still growing.

Ice levels in the Arctic have recovered from their all-time low, but are still on a shrinking trend, said Julienne Stroeve of the National Snow and Ice Data Centre. ”We have been telling this story for a long time, and we are still telling it,” she said.

Sea Level is rising
Is sea level rising?

Quote:
Records and research show that sea level has been steadily rising at a rate of 0.04 to 0.1 inches per year since 1900.

This rate may be increasing. Since 1992, new methods of satellite altimetry (the measurement of elevation or altitude) indicate a rate of rise of 0.12 inches per year.

This is a significantly larger rate than the sea-level rise averaged over the last several thousand years.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM

I've already said I'm not debating global warming. I can come up with a bunch of articles that support my viewpoint as well.

Let's take your worst case scenario - the sea levels are rising at a rate of .12 inches per year. In 30 years, that would be a whole 3.6 inches.

I'll take my chances....

Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,556,077 times
Quote:
We are looking to move somewhere where it is that mild every year, and crazy cold is the exception, not the other way around.
lol. bye. enjoy the sun belt. or san francisco, if you can afford that and like cold summers.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
lol. bye. enjoy the sun belt. or san francisco, if you can afford that and like cold summers.
Hey thanks, I will! Cya.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,105,995 times
Old Farmer's Almanac predicts 'super cold' winter | abc7chicago.com

We are supposed to have a hotter summer finally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago