Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:15 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
My hunch is that the OP probably has not seen all that many folks that would readily fit his background. That does not surprise me. When I do "non-tourist" type things in Washington DC or Atlanta I see a lot more younger professional AA men and women than I do in workplaces in Chicago and the suburbs. They need to weigh that factor in that decision...

I think NYC is probably just a little bit better than Chicago and places like Boston might be a bit worse. I have only been to Philadelphia a few times on work related travel but my impression was that is could be even further from parity.

Mind you these are in "workplace settings" -- that means not the tourist spots but what the OP needs to investigate. Midday lunch spots, the afterwork hang outs that folks head to after their commute, and the sort of early morning neighorhood scene.

He said he's been here FOR WORK!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Default Chicago

Chicago is a fun city. Tons of things to do. Its a beautiful city. The lake and the skyline makes it one of the most inviting cities I've been to or lived in.

Chicago is very diverse like what has been mentioned. Tons of different people from all over the world doing their thing and as a result you have soul and a lot of culture.

As a Black professional there are some neighborhoods you would want to look into like Hyde Park and South Loop. Those are going to give you the highest level of diversity with Blacks mixing with other races.

Another thing that gave me a great social life when I first moved to the area was social media and dating sites. That helped me in my adjustment to the area.

On the negative side is dealing with the natives as in any other city can be extremely challenging when it comes to the my hood, your hood, their hood mentality. Everyone wants to be rough and tough. It's crazy.

The biggest issue with me was the Black and White segregation. Not even 6% of the residents of Chicago live on blocks with a Black and White integration level of 20% or more. Regardless of how you look at it there is little exposure when it comes to living and neighborhoods. I can't find the article but Chicago and Milwaukee has the highest unemployment rate for Black males in the country. Many of the service and labor jobs like construction landscaping that you see Blacks working in other cities you don't see Blacks doing in Chicago. You see a large number of Blacks in government jobs not a large number of Blacks in finance and professional type positions.

The nightlife is segregated as well. I've heard it is better than it use to be but still behind other smaller cities. Google search will reveal a lot of issues that has come up in as little as 2 or 3 years that will leave you scratching your head.

If you are a Black professional who wants to live in a city with a good quality of life for you and your peers, I would stay away from Chicago because there are a number of better options. If your desire for urban sophisticated lifestyle is stronger, than consider Chicago (only with a good job) and the neighborhoods that have been mentioned and using social media to socialize.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
He HAS! He said he's been here at least half a dozen times in the last year for work. I think at this point he's going to get the best advice from other young AA professionals. Not middle-aged white people. (I'm including myself in that.)
Correct on visitation. I am open to all advice though. All opinions welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
There are a lot of young, black professionals but they seem pretty spread around town.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I think probably, yes, it could be a good option, but you will have the same issues of income disparity and racial segregation. It isn't going to be different than what you're currently experiencing. The stereotypically "nice" areas of Chicago have little to no diversity, and especially don't have African Americans (professional or otherwise).
Yes, coming from New York, there will be no culture or weather shock for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The biggest issue with me was the Black and White segregation. Not even 6% of the residents of Chicago live on blocks with a Black and White integration level of 20% or more. Regardless of how you look at it there is little exposure when it comes to living and neighborhoods. I can't find the article but Chicago and Milwaukee has the highest unemployment rate for Black males in the country. Many of the service and labor jobs like construction landscaping that you see Blacks working in other cities you don't see Blacks doing in Chicago. You see a large number of Blacks in government jobs not a large number of Blacks in finance and professional type positions.

The nightlife is segregated as well. I've heard it is better than it use to be but still behind other smaller cities. Google search will reveal a lot of issues that has come up in as little as 2 or 3 years that will leave you scratching your head.
Hmmm, this is how it is in New York State. There are blacks and black professionals but they are heavily concentrated in the Public Sector. I have no issue with working in the private sector. I am used to being the only black face in a meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
If you are a Black professional who wants to live in a city with a good quality of life for you and your peers, I would stay away from Chicago because there are a number of better options. If your desire for urban sophisticated lifestyle is stronger, than consider Chicago (only with a good job) and the neighborhoods that have been mentioned and using social media to socialize.
Chicago seems to be the best fit for me from what I've seen. I've looked at the alternatives and they all have issues:

NYC - Currently in this Metro. Love the vibe but Chicago was a lot nicer in my opinon. Also, cost-of living is insane so I'd want out eventually.

Boston - Never been

DC - everyone seems to like it here, but again I choose not to deal with the cost of living. DC is the #1 spot my peers are all going to as young black professionals

Atlanta - dislike the city, the politics of the South, and the weather (too humid)

Philadelphia - don't care for it

Columbus - I have family here, but I wouldn't like being landlocked.

Detroit - Very poor man's Chicago

West Coast - too far / too expensive

Houston / Dallas / Miami - same reasons as Atlanta

Old 02-24-2015, 10:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
It makes a lot of sense to give DC some consideration. If you will have a lot of friends there it will make transition initially easier AND down the road will lead to more options for networking. You will also expand your social circle much faster with friends in the same area. That really makes for a nicer transition.

The comments upthread about the relative lack of AA peers in private firms is one thing, but not having good friends to socialize with can make even the most "fun" town seem boring and lonely...

Depending on what specific sector you land a job in, the importance of friends outside of work can be really a make or break situation. There are many stressful workplaces and having buddies as well potential romantic friendships are a well known way to justify the stress...

Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Hmmm, this is how it is in New York State. There are blacks and black professionals but they are heavily concentrated in the Public Sector. I have no issue with working in the private sector. I am used to being the only black face in a meeting.
Yeah, NY State is rather different than NYC itself. If you have no problem with it, then I'd say go for it with Chicago. It's on a case by case (company) basis anyway. Some companies you may see a good representation in the office and others you might barely see one if at all. It's good it doesn't bother you anyway - people are defined by more than the color of their skin.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:39 PM

103 posts, read 151,071 times
You'll like it. Chicago is great for people in their 20's.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:38 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
I'd suggest to focus on making friends with people regardless of their race/ethnicity.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Don't count on it in either case. While temperature averages may be similar on paper, Chicago has greater extremes particularly on the cold end. We've dipped below zero many times this winter and did so many more times last winter. From what I gather, it almost never gets below zero in NYC. It's been almost 3 weeks since we've been above freezing and we still have 8" of snow on the ground on the first day of March.

Culture-wise... East Coasters who move to Chicago really seem to either love it or hate it, almost perfectly inversely to how much they love or hate the East Coast. Those who hate it and are looking for a change of pace seem to love Chicago. Those who love the East Coast and move here reluctantly seem to always be counting the days until they can go "home." Or to Florida, depending on how old they are.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Correct on visitation. I am open to all advice though. All opinions welcome!!!

Good to know.

Chicago seems to be the best fit for me from what I've seen. I've looked at the alternatives and they all have issues:

NYC - Currently in this Metro. Love the vibe but Chicago was a lot nicer in my opinon. Also, cost-of living is insane so I'd want out eventually.

Boston - Never been

DC - everyone seems to like it here, but again I choose not to deal with the cost of living. DC is the #1 spot my peers are all going to as young black professionals

Atlanta - dislike the city, the politics of the South, and the weather (too humid)

Philadelphia - don't care for it

Columbus - I have family here, but I wouldn't like being landlocked.

Detroit - Very poor man's Chicago

West Coast - too far / too expensive

Houston / Dallas / Miami - same reasons as Atlanta
Given your answer, I would recommend Chicago. Its a beautiful city with a lot going on. I chose it over DC, Atlanta and NYC.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:01 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Don't count on it in either case. While temperature averages may be similar on paper, Chicago has greater extremes particularly on the cold end. We've dipped below zero many times this winter and did so many more times last winter. From what I gather, it almost never gets below zero in NYC. It's been almost 3 weeks since we've been above freezing and we still have 8" of snow on the ground on the first day of March.

Culture-wise... East Coasters who move to Chicago really seem to either love it or hate it, almost perfectly inversely to how much they love or hate the East Coast. Those who hate it and are looking for a change of pace seem to love Chicago. Those who love the East Coast and move here reluctantly seem to always be counting the days until they can go "home." Or to Florida, depending on how old they are.
I'm not from NYC; I'm from Western New York (Buffalo). It's tough to beat us in the weather department, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: