Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,958,368 times

Advertisements

After reading numerous conversations about Chicago deep dish pizza, I thought I'd look at Pizzeria Uno's website, and check the various locations.

A bit surprising. Uno's is a chain, but not really a national chain, at all. It's heavily tilted towards the eastern seaboard, with 27 locations within Mass alone , and 23 more in New York. Chicago, and Illinois, have only 4, total. There are no Uno's franchises on the Great Plains, a couple in the Rockies, and only a few south of Virginia. The enormous states of Texas and California have 3, combined, and there are none in LA, SF, SD, Portland or Seattle. Nothing in St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis or Cleveland.

I know that Chicago has other deep dish options, but still surprised that this chain has only 2 in Chicago ( on the same block), one out in Schaumberg, and one up in Gurnee, near the WI border..

And here I though that Uno's was everywhere, as it is in Boston..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,094,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

After reading numerous conversations about Chicago deep dish pizza, I thought I'd look at Pizzeria Uno's website, and check the various locations.

A bit surprising. Uno's is a chain, but not really a national chain, at all. It's heavily tilted towards the eastern seaboard, with 27 locations within Mass alone , and 23 more in New York. Chicago, and Illinois, have only 4, total. There are no Uno's franchises on the Great Plains, a couple in the Rockies, and only a few south of Virginia. The enormous states of Texas and California have 3, combined, and there are none in LA, SF, SD, Portland or Seattle. Nothing in St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis or Cleveland.

I know that Chicago has other deep dish options, but still surprised that this chain has only 2 in Chicago ( on the same block), one out in Schaumberg, and one up in Gurnee, near the WI border..

I'm surprised too. I didn't know that they had some in Massachussets and New York.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,793,221 times
The first deep -dish pizza I ever tasted was in Waikiki and I believe it was an Uno. Anyone remember that place?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,596,174 times
The folks that own the franchise also own the original location (plus Due's).

There have been a few interviews over the years in both restaurant industry oriented magazines and local magazines. The group claims to have no interest in doing anything to the original & Due's so as to have a "brand heritage" and that does make sense.

When it comes to the locations elsewhere the group is not exactly a stickler for adherence to standards and reviews are at best spotty -- some locations barely bother being more than an something along the lines of Olive Garden / Bennigans...

Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The first deep -dish pizza I ever tasted was in Waikiki and I believe it was an Uno. Anyone remember that place?
I don't think that's the same Uno.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The folks that own the franchise also own the original location (plus Due's).

There have been a few interviews over the years in both restaurant industry oriented magazines and local magazines. The group claims to have no interest in doing anything to the original & Due's so as to have a "brand heritage" and that does make sense.

When it comes to the locations elsewhere the group is not exactly a stickler for adherence to standards and reviews are at best spotty -- some locations barely bother being more than an something along the lines of Olive Garden / Bennigans...
I've only been to the original Uno and Due. I would think that the original and Due would be better than any other locations.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:27 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,292,649 times
Contrary to popular belief.... Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is really not common in the cities neighborhoods. A Thin but CHRISPY crust pizza that is cut into small squares is. Some might call a party-cut style? Though there are some neighborhood Pizzerias that advertise Chicago-Style.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,249,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I've only been to the original Uno and Due. I would think that the original and Due would be better than any other locations.
They are. Went to one in DC and it was pretty bad.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM

321 posts, read 373,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

I've seen them in Wichita and the Oklahoma City area, so I'm surprised there aren't any in Kansas City or more of them in Texas.

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking of Old Chicago. I got my lame Chicago-themed chains mixed up. You're right that Uno appears to be very heavily centered in the Northeastern quadrant of the U.S.

Last edited by UC18; 02-10-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 PM

321 posts, read 373,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
They are. Went to one in DC and it was pretty bad.
My understanding is that Uno and Due are essentially a completely different operation than the other locations. The original Uno probably just leased the rights to their name to the franchising company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago