Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I don't get it... If someone moves their car and leaves something in the road to "save their spot"; when you come home and there are no spots available - other than this "saved" spot, move the crap and park. Problem solved.
Yeah, and come back the next day to find a horse head in your passenger seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's nothing. They know how to do it right in Massachusetts. Growing up in Boston I can remember a number of violent incidents related to "dibs".

The best way to deal with it is to leave your car in place, or rent a place to park your car if you have to drive to work every day.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 PM

498 posts, read 978,190 times
I've always thought that if I lived in a dibs neighborhood, I would wait til someone dibbed a spot visible from my window, move it and park there, and keep a video camera trained on the spot. Then if someone tried to damage my car because I took their dibs, I'd be able to have them arrested. This dibs nonsense needs to stop.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
That's nothing. They know how to do it right in Massachusetts. Growing up in Boston I can remember a number of violent incidents related to "dibs".

The best way to deal with it is to leave your car in place, or rent a place to park your car if you have to drive to work every day.
Fall River has always been such a classy place...

And yes, if possible, the best solution is to just leave your car right where it is.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They have passenger seats too...

But anyway, because you live on the same block, you know them and they know you. It probably won't lead to war, but so what if it does... Are you going to let people run over you your entire life?

The one time I remember someone objecting to me moving their crap. I reminded them that I live in this neighborhood too, and am equally entitled to park my car. No response. No Issue.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:01 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
What is the scene, Terminator 2? Arnold walks into some biker bar totally naked and sizes up a tough looking guy before he says something like "Give your clothes, boots, and motorcycle". The guy laughs and the Terminator proceeds to bust up the whole place. Finally the flesh covered machine gets the clothes and is about the ride away on the guys motorcycle. The proprietor comes out with a sawed-off shotgun and says "I can't let you leave with the man's bike."

Of course the ensuing invulnerability displayed by the Terminator has the machine snatching the scatter gun from the guy. As well as his sunglasses. Arnold rides off on the hog...

THAT is how to end dibs!

Or move to a nice neighborhood where people actually have off street park...

Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
What if a person puts chairs in his shoved out spot.. claiming dibs on that spot.. he leaves for work at 7:30 .. now, at 10:30 someone moves his dibs chairs out and parks there. then leaves at 12:00 and NOT returning the dibs chair there. Now the next person sees the spot empty, and thinks he can park there. Now the original person comes home at 4:30, sees the 2nd guy park in "his" spot, and then gets mad and decides to key the car. Now has that scenario comes across you? how can you know if you are taking a spot that someone has nor has not claimed dibs?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:15 PM

498 posts, read 725,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
What if a person puts chairs in his shoved out spot.. claiming dibs on that spot.. he leaves for work at 7:30 .. now, at 10:30 someone moves his dibs chairs out and parks there. then leaves at 12:00 and NOT returning the dibs chair there. Now the next person sees the spot empty, and thinks he can park there. Now the original person comes home at 4:30, sees the 2nd guy park in "his" spot, and then gets mad and decides to key the car. Now has that scenario comes across you? how can you know if you are taking a spot that someone has nor has not claimed dibs?
Haha, I think about this all the time. There was a guy last year who went around and picked up hundreds of dibs. Great, except now that just looks like a free parking space and the person who takes it doesn't know it was dibbed and could get messed with.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:22 PM

498 posts, read 978,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Haha, I think about this all the time. There was a guy last year who went around and picked up hundreds of dibs. Great, except now that just looks like a free parking space and the person who takes it doesn't know it was dibbed and could get messed with.
Thing is, a free parking space is exactly what it is. The presence of a lawn chair doesn't change that.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:23 PM

498 posts, read 725,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
Thing is, a free parking space is exactly what it is. The presence of a lawn chair doesn't change that.
Well, yeah. I don't think most people leave the lawn chair there out of 'respect', but rather because they don't want to get their car keyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago