Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 PM

441 posts, read 534,186 times

Advertisements

The OP is looking at the Buckingham because it's designed for summer intern housing, sort of like a giant dorm apartment building. Student Summer Housing - The Buckingham Chicago Student Apartments
Quote:
We rent to students from all of the surrounding Chicago institutions and internship companies . Our main demographic consists of upper classmen and graduate students.
The few mixed reviews I've found online are not recent. OP, did you learn about this from others who have stayed there? It advertises as a secure and social environment and I can understand wanting to do the relatively clean and simple rental procedure vs trying to sublet on your own. But it could be a big risk to commit to a two hour minimum round trip daily commute without being sure of the benefits. You may or may not find kindred spirits and could end up on your own most of the time.

Another consideration is if you want to socialize with fellow interns after work, you may have a problem with train times. If you're interning at McD's (which I realize you can't tell us), they will have some social activities. My son interned there for three summers a few years back - he commuted from home - and remembers a Lucky Strikes bowling night. Another thing to consider - how did you determine that 10 minute drive from the Elmhurst Metra stop to your internship location? Keep in mind that Oak Brook has a pretty unpleasant rush hour of its own. Traffic is heavy on all local roads. And (can you tell I'm a mom), it's a risk leaving your bike (even locked up) by the train station in the city and at apartment buildings.

That being said, if you really want to stay in the city, did you look at this summer housing: SAIC: | School of the Art Institute of Chicago At least it's affiliated with a reputable organization. Incidentally, re Loop parking, there are several garages showing monthly rates under $300 via SpotHero and ParkWhiz, so that $2000 rate you were quoted is suspicious.

I agree with the poster who suggested asking your employer where interns normally live in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 AM

321 posts, read 372,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
The OP is looking at the Buckingham because it's designed for summer intern housing, sort of like a giant dorm apartment building.
Right-- and that would make sense if his internship was downtown, but it's not. So he's just paying extra to have a worse commute to live in an area that's not even that cool. A lot of people not from Chicago make the mistake of thinking that The Loop is the most happening place in the city, since it's the center of the city, but on evenings and weekends (which is when he would be there) it really isn't. There just isn't much that makes it worth paying the premium to live there if your job isn't there.

I'm not saying he shouldn't live in the city, just that if he's going to live in the city, he should at least consider places outside of the Loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
Incidentally, re Loop parking, there are several garages showing monthly rates under $300 via SpotHero and ParkWhiz, so that $2000 rate you were quoted is suspicious.
I assumed the $2000 he was quoting was the rate to stay in the dorm and also have a parking spot in the building. Nobody pays $2000/mo. for just a parking spot.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 AM

9 posts, read 15,522 times
CatWarmer that is essentially why I would consider living there or a building like SAIC or University Center, and I have heard great personal references. Upon looking further I did find more reasonable parking in the city. The only housing advice given by the employer was a couple extended stays in Oak Brook, which as I mentioned in the first post doesn't have a huge appeal to me and is actually about $200 more to live at then the buildings downtown. I understand that the loop itself may not be the most ideal place to live, but remember that I'm looking at a building full of college students willing to venture out. I suppose the real question is now is how long the Eisenhower would take each way, regardless of where in the city I live.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 AM

Having personal references about the place is very good.

Re the drive time, let google be your friend - pull up directions during the morning and evening rush hours for several days next week between the Buckingham and your internship office and see what the drive times are. Are you used to heavy highway traffic? Reverse commuting is not the breeze it was once - there are just too many cars for the highways these days. Winter weather may affect the times right now but heavy rains can be just as bad in the summer - the Eisenhower has been temporarily closed by flooding.

If you are a patient driver and understand commute times could routinely vary by 30 minutes or more from the best times, it could work out. But the commute and working all day (even as an intern) can be quite exhausting (mom speak again) so you may not be venturing out as much as you expect on work nights. It all depends on what you mean by "venture out". If you're under age 21 presumably you aren't heading to bars...

Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
What's nice about the University Center and The Buckingham is that they're only a mile away from the Eisenhower, but they're doing construction at the beginning of the eisenhower where it meets the Kennedy which creates lots of traffic in addition to the traffic that usually occurs on the Eisenhower. SAIC is about 2 miles from the Eisenhower.

Little Italy might have some type of student intern housing since it's where UIC is. Over there, you'll already be ahead of the construction traffic which will make your commute better. However, having to travel a 30 minute minimum to your internship won't be that big of deal since you'll only have to do that commute for one summer.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:25 PM

Here you go -

Summer Intern Housing - UIC Campus Housing

And just to give you an idea of commuting - right now, middle of the day Saturday, the commute from UIC to McD's campus (as an example) is 39 minutes outbound and 35 minutes inbound (normally 26 or 27 minutes). There's heavy stretches of red in both directions on the Eisenhower.

Last edited by CatWarmer; 01-31-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 12:29 PM

9 posts, read 15,522 times
How is the area where UIC is? Is it still a city feel? thank you so much for the input

Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
The area where UIC is pretty safe. Some parts in Little Italy south of Roosevelt aren't safe, but UIC is in northern Little Italy which is safe. Little Italy definitely has a city feel to it and there's a lot to do there. It's also very close to the loop .

Old 01-31-2015, 02:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
I personally would choose the one by UIC.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:10 PM

321 posts, read 372,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intern99 View Post
How is the area where UIC is?
That's the Little Italy / University Village area that nearly everyone in the thread is recommending to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago