Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:23 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,499,777 times

Advertisements

I stopped reading after "Is Chicago a boring city"....

Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,403,758 times
Well, in terms of size the City of Angels (LA) is larger than Chicago, but Cook County is larger than Lps Angeles County. NYC is collectively five cities called boroughs; Manhattan is where visitors find Wall Street, Broadway, Fifth Avenue, Times Square, the twin towers, etc..

Chicago sprawls along the shores of Lake Michigan while LA sprawls along the shores of the Pacific Ocean. As far as I know NYC as a whole is rather compact. All three areas seem to share the same issues when it comes to dense population. Each city is very popular for very different reasons. And the three are Alpha Plus cities as London and Hong Kong. .

It is unfair to try to play them off against each other or try to compare any Alpha city to a non-Alpha City. As a whole the US has 2 Alpha (SF and Denver) and the 3 Alpha Plus cities. These cities cannot be compared to non-Alpha cities as they are not the same. It is much like trying to compare a dog and a cat.

Both animals have four feet, two eyes, two ears, one nose, one tail, are warm blooded with internal organs, can void, and can communicate with its ow species - much like humans.
A dog and cat are very different. And, like cities, they do not look the same or sound the same. If you want a discussion than compare like to like. Compare Chicago to a smaller Alpha city rather than trying to continue to compare it to Gamma cities or lesser cities

Here's an overview of your world class cities:
GAWC World Cities Ranking List

Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,060,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Well, in terms of size the City of Angels (LA) is larger than Chicago, but Cook County is larger than Lps Angeles County.
No it's not. It's not even CLOSE to the size of LA County. LA County has almost double the population of Cook County and is nearly 3X the area in physical size. LA County is the most populated county in the US and it's not even close.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 PM

672 posts, read 762,672 times
OP: You are so right. Chicago is a disappointing 'nothing' city, desperately boosted by its residents. As many important and enlightened posters here realise, Chicago is really just a larger version of Detroit, with an artistic scene somewhere round the level of Omaha. (At least Detroit had Robocop.) It's in terminal decline.

I suggest that when you visit the US, you stick to higher ranked cities like Houston. Especially if you're part of the creative scene.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,448,247 times
LOL. Gotta love the sarcasm here. Chi-Town will always be on the map even when it is frustrating to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
OP: You are so right. Chicago is a disappointing 'nothing' city, desperately boosted by its residents. As many important and enlightened posters here realise, Chicago is really just a larger version of Detroit, with an artistic scene somewhere round the level of Omaha. (At least Detroit had Robocop.) It's in terminal decline.

I suggest that when you visit the US, you stick to higher ranked cities like Houston. Especially if you're part of the creative scene.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,433,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
What!!??? Inland Empire? Who said anything about the inland empire.

True when you are looking at the METRO AREA, the CSA then of course, the difference is FAR, FAR greater 17.5 million LA CSA vs 9.5 million v=for Chicago (not exact figures, but close).

I'm just talking about the CITY OF LA and the CITY of Chicago. Just city limits. LA is 3.8 IN THE CITY of LA and 2.7 IN THE CITY of Chicago. I am talking city limits here. LA officially surpassed Chicago in city limits about 30 years ago. The city limits of LA stretch from downtown to Venice. Also includes virtually the entire valley, which is mostly suburban and not that exciting (but so are the far NW and far SW sides of Chicago) but does have urban, lively areas like North Hollywood, etc.

Again, its the greater downtown area of Chicago, from about Roosevelt to North Ave west to Halsted that blows away any similar area in LA in terms of population, things to do, etc. And this is Chicagos signature, but is different from city proper.
Don't get all excited. I never said you did but for conversation purposes one should not count the far and outline areas thats all. RELAX

Old 12-20-2014, 11:37 PM

555 posts, read 809,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
My question is whether or not Chicago is boring when you stack it up next to New York and Los Angeles? Did you miss the title?
Perhaps I should have been more direct. The body of your post indicates you've already answered what comes across as a rhetorical question in the post's title. You portray yourself as an innocent from abroad, then proceed to lob these subtle jabs at Chicago -- as if you're egging people on to defend the honor of their great city.

I don't think you have a real question (though if you really do, I hope you share it). It seems to me you were simply trying to stir up people.

The truth is, if you really were interested in finding out what Chicago has to offer, you first would've looked up "Chicago" online, maybe checked out a tourist guidebook at your local book store or on Amazon. Then, if you had further questions or wanted a local's perspective, you might have gone to city-data and asked a sincere question pertaining to your specific interests. Then, you would be able to come to your own informed conclusions about your comparison.

Based on your self-portrayal as an innocent from abroad who knows nothing about Chicago beyond a few random facts, you've done none of those things. So Chicago, based on what you've posted, remains a boring mystery to you -- as you'd intended all along.

That's why I asked what your question was. Because your question was not so much a question as it was a Q&A presented on a stage with just a single player -- yourself.

It's sad, really. Because quite a few folks in this forum are great sources of info about Chicago. If you want to have fun in Chicago or want to really compare it to LA, NY, etc., you can do it with the help of so many folks here in this forum who are more than happy to share a local's perspective. But it's pretty clear that was not your intention.

Wherever you supposedly are living abroad right now, I hope you find a source of fun that involves human contact and is more creative and inspiring than egging on helpful strangers online. Good luck on your quest. Hey, this can be an excuse to visit LA, NY, and Chicago to find out for yourself what kind of fun each city has to offer, and then you can report back to us.

Last edited by sydlee; 12-21-2014 at 12:16 AM..

Old 12-21-2014, 08:33 AM

86 posts, read 127,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Perhaps I should have been more direct. The body of your post indicates you've already answered what comes across as a rhetorical question in the post's title. You portray yourself as an innocent from abroad, then proceed to lob these subtle jabs at Chicago -- as if you're egging people on to defend the honor of their great city.

I don't think you have a real question (though if you really do, I hope you share it). It seems to me you were simply trying to stir up people.

The truth is, if you really were interested in finding out what Chicago has to offer, you first would've looked up "Chicago" online, maybe checked out a tourist guidebook at your local book store or on Amazon. Then, if you had further questions or wanted a local's perspective, you might have gone to city-data and asked a sincere question pertaining to your specific interests. Then, you would be able to come to your own informed conclusions about your comparison.

Based on your self-portrayal as an innocent from abroad who knows nothing about Chicago beyond a few random facts, you've done none of those things. So Chicago, based on what you've posted, remains a boring mystery to you -- as you'd intended all along.

That's why I asked what your question was. Because your question was not so much a question as it was a Q&A presented on a stage with just a single player -- yourself.

It's sad, really. Because quite a few folks in this forum are great sources of info about Chicago. If you want to have fun in Chicago or want to really compare it to LA, NY, etc., you can do it with the help of so many folks here in this forum who are more than happy to share a local's perspective. But it's pretty clear that was not your intention.

Wherever you supposedly are living abroad right now, I hope you find a source of fun that involves human contact and is more creative and inspiring than egging on helpful strangers online. Good luck on your quest. Hey, this can be an excuse to visit LA, NY, and Chicago to find out for yourself what kind of fun each city has to offer, and then you can report back to us.
You've made about 4 replies to my one post already lol. And this ^ redundant essay.

But no, I am simply explaining, as an outsider, what I have heard of Chicago and the impressions have been given because of it. I understand "boring" is a subjective adjective but I am looking for an insiders perspective on this and to elaborate on why they think it is/isn't. That's all.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-28-2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:49 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,121,896 times
Quote:
Is Chicago a boring city when you stack it up next to New York City and LA?
I don't know about LA as I have never been there, but there are very few cities in the world that don't look boring when compared to NYC.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM

2,344 posts, read 2,962,836 times
Being boring is the least of Chicago's problems, except for downtown the run down areas and crime in the rest of the city are its biggest issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago