Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Manhattan for 4 years and am ready for a change of pace. I'm seriously considering Chicago and am looking for some advice. I'm in my mid 20's and like to go out, so a neighborhood with a good bar and cultural scene would be great. And while I've braved the NYC streets unscathed so far, I also want a neighborhood I'll feel safe in. I'm looking to spend around $1400 for a 1 bdrm. I would really like to find somewhere with an young, urban feel that has all the necessary conveniences close by. I won't have a car so I'd like things to be either walkable or to be close to public transportation. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,410,789 times
Places to look would be Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Andersonville, and Lincoln Square. There are approximately 18,927 threads on each neighborhood in the Chicago forum, so a search of each should yield useful info about each.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 PM

356 posts, read 544,948 times
I second DOVER's comments-- come for a weekend, stay a lifetime.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,520,329 times
You might also be able to find an apt in your price range right in Streeterville, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park all of which are basically downtown.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,562,971 times
One potential approach: pick up a copy of Time Out Chicago (might be available at larger booksellers in Manhattan, or call the Time Out New York offices) and take a thorough look. Plot out where the things that fit your fancy (theatres, cinemas, music venues, whatever) are -- and report back, or even better use it as a guide for a weekend here. (Lastminute.com has air/hotel packages for about $250 most weekends.)

If you're on the UES now, I'd recommend sticking to someplace near the lakefront, from Printer's Row up through downtown to Lakeview. In Chicago, only the Gold Coast (and adjacent areas of the near north side) has a UES/UWS feel, with lots of high-rises, upper-end shops, and near-24-hour activity. The rest of our gentrified neighborhoods have a lower-density feel -- more like brownstone Brooklyn.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM

319 posts, read 1,252,352 times
Default nyc to chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by uestowhere View Post
I've lived in Manhattan for 4 years and am ready for a change of pace. I'm seriously considering Chicago and am looking for some advice. I'm in my mid 20's and like to go out, so a neighborhood with a good bar and cultural scene would be great. And while I've braved the NYC streets unscathed so far, I also want a neighborhood I'll feel safe in. I'm looking to spend around $1400 for a 1 bdrm. I would really like to find somewhere with an young, urban feel that has all the necessary conveniences close by. I won't have a car so I'd like things to be either walkable or to be close to public transportation. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods? Thanks for your help!
my husband and i just moved here from ny in september. when are you thinking of moving? i can help you out w any questions you might have. you'll love it here. i do!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,371,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
If you're on the UES now, I'd recommend sticking to someplace near the lakefront, from Printer's Row up through downtown to Lakeview. In Chicago, only the Gold Coast (and adjacent areas of the near north side) has a UES/UWS feel, with lots of high-rises, upper-end shops, and near-24-hour activity. The rest of our gentrified neighborhoods have a lower-density feel -- more like brownstone Brooklyn.
I agree with this; search for something close to the lake if you're looking for a change of pace. Its something not replicated well in Manhattan (East River/Coney Island doesnt cut it), and its killer in the summer and shoulder months since people stay in the city during the weekends opposed to NYC'ers. Gold Coast is good, so are Lincoln Park and Near North. However, Lincoln Park/NearNorth areas by the lake dont have great access to the EL, but have good bus coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago