Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 9,074 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

My little sister and I are planning to move to Chicago by mid 2008. I've only been to the city once, but planning to go there again in March to check it out with my little sister (she's never been there before). We're hoping to find a decent place close to the city aka happening areas. We're in our 20's and we're looking for more urban type areas with cool shops and restaurants...somewhere with a good transportation system so we don't have to drive on the weekends. Where are some of the areas we should start looking at?

We appreciate any feedbacks!

Thanks,
Yennie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,492,960 times
How close to the city do you want to be? How much do you have to spend on a place? Do you want to have a car, or live w/o one? If you could answer some of those questions it would help narrow down some choices. There are literally hundreds of suburbs in the area, as well as tons of neighborhoods in Chicago proper.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
How close to the city do you want to be? How much do you have to spend on a place? Do you want to have a car, or live w/o one? If you could answer some of those questions it would help narrow down some choices. There are literally hundreds of suburbs in the area, as well as tons of neighborhoods in Chicago proper.
As close as $1000-$1300 (preferably 2 bedrooms) will allow us to be closest to the city. I'm not sure that I want to live in the suburbs, but if there is a nice one close to the "fun and trendy" areas than I don't mind. We will have our cars, but if parking becomes a problem we'll end up with just one. The only problem right now is I'm not sure where I'll be working, but I'll worry about that later. My little sister will probably attend a community college for a year (any suggestions there too??).

The whole purpose of moving away from the slow South is to experience the faster lifestyle a big city like Chicago has to offer. So it defeats the purpose of living too far from the city when we want to be IN the city.

Thanks, Steve-o!

Yennie

P.S. I read some posts you wrote defending the city of Chicago..hehe..you sound very passionate about your city. You make me want to move there NOW!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,693,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenthi View Post
As close as $1000-$1300 (preferably 2 bedrooms) will allow us to be closest to the city. I'm not sure that I want to live in the suburbs, but if there is a nice one close to the "fun and trendy" areas than I don't mind. We will have our cars, but if parking becomes a problem we'll end up with just one. The only problem right now is I'm not sure where I'll be working, but I'll worry about that later. My little sister will probably attend a community college for a year (any suggestions there too??).

The whole purpose of moving away from the slow South is to experience the faster lifestyle a big city like Chicago has to offer. So it defeats the purpose of living too far from the city when we want to be IN the city.

Thanks, Steve-o!

Yennie

P.S. I read some posts you wrote defending the city of Chicago..hehe..you sound very passionate about your city. You make me want to move there NOW!
Once you establish residency in the city, the city colleges are cheap. Around $71 a credit hour. I would go with Washington,Wright, then Truman.

Message me for more help if needed.

$1000 to $1300 without utilities or with? You should have no problem finding a place in the city if you can spend that kind of money.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:04 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,153,774 times
I moved to Chicago from the South (KY) to get away from the slow lifestyle of the South and have never looked back. I initially had planned on working in the city for the summer and then moving to Los Angeles the following May to live with my sister...

It's gonna be a long damn time before I move out of the city. You can't beat the nightlife, cultural events, and energy of the city. All of the Southern cities generally have the same feel in my opinion. Whenever I go back down South things just seem to move sooo slow.

Some neighborhoods I would recommend (haven't been in the city too long so I don't know the entire city) would be Lincoln Park, Ukranian Village, South Loop, Wicker Park and Lakeview.

Since both of you like to party and are young I think Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview (Wrigley area) would be my top choices.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,808,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I moved to Chicago from the South (KY) to get away from the slow lifestyle of the South and have never looked back. I initially had planned on working in the city for the summer and then moving to Los Angeles the following May to live with my sister...

It's gonna be a long damn time before I move out of the city. You can't beat the nightlife, cultural events, and energy of the city. All of the Southern cities generally have the same feel in my opinion. Whenever I go back down South things just seem to move sooo slow.

Some neighborhoods I would recommend (haven't been in the city too long so I don't know the entire city) would be Lincoln Park, Ukranian Village, South Loop, Wicker Park and Lakeview.

Since both of you like to party and are young I think Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview (Wrigley area) would be my top choices.
Then you have never been to Atlanta. We are not "slow" here.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:32 AM

459 posts, read 1,419,709 times
i moved here from florida eight years ago and could never move south again. i've lived in streeterville, oldtown, lincoln park, wrigley and now, east lakeview. i would recommend that you two look into lakeview if you are looking for urban living with minimal driving. parking is a bear, so be prepared to pay for a spot. but, everything you need is right outside your door. for sure don't even think about a 'burb, you might as well stay down soth where it's warm in that case... if you're moving here in june/july, you are in for a good time. the party scene here is INSANE.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Then you have never been to Atlanta. We are not "slow" here.
I don't know, KevK. I visited ATL for the first time a month ago and it was pretty slow to me. Maybe I wasn't in the right area, but isn't Buckhead THE place to be???

Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 AM

459 posts, read 1,419,709 times
atlanta is a morgue compared to chicago...

Old 12-28-2007, 05:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,693,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenthi View Post
Hi All -

My little sister and I are planning to move to Chicago by mid 2008. I've only been to the city once, but planning to go there again in March to check it out with my little sister (she's never been there before). We're hoping to find a decent place close to the city aka happening areas. We're in our 20's and we're looking for more urban type areas with cool shops and restaurants...somewhere with a good transportation system so we don't have to drive on the weekends. Where are some of the areas we should start looking at?

We appreciate any feedbacks!

Thanks,
Yennie
Where are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago