Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't eat at Lukes of all places. Spend the extra time and walk through to river north and check out Portillos or Uno's at the very least. Plus its a beautiful walk across the River with a great view of the skyline.

So follow what Eating While Walking said and take the blue line to the Jackson Stop. Walk north along Lasalle and go to Uno's for deep dish pizza or portillos for italian beef and chicago style hot dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:17 AM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I wouldn't eat at Lukes of all places. Spend the extra time and walk through to river north and check out Portillos or Uno's at the very least. Plus its a beautiful walk across the River with a great view of the skyline.

So follow what Eating While Walking said and take the blue line to the Jackson Stop. Walk north along Lasalle and go to Uno's for deep dish pizza or portillos for italian beef and chicago style hot dog.
Portillo's is definitely a better version of Luke's but it is a little far for the time frame, plus it's not on the Blue Line. Op can decide if it's worth the walk.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
You just can't afford to drift too far from O'Hare, so consider Wicker Park, at the Damon Blue Line stop, have a good meal, and return to the airport. No need, and no time, to make a fuss.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
3 hours in addition to the estimated travel time of 40-50mins (which is about accurate). So he really has at least 4 hours total to get to Portillos and back. Unos might be pushing it.

OP. Go to Portillos, enjoy the scenery. You have plenty of time.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
I'd just cab it over to Elk Grove Village... there's a Portillo's and Lou Malnati's there. <15 minute trip. Not enough time to do any meaningful wandering or sightseeing in the city. Use the extra time to relax and enjoy your meal.

For a drink afterwards you could visit Hofbräuhaus Chicago (mute speakers before you click). Not very "Chicago," but still a nice place to have a beer before you head back to the airport.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
I would also like to point out that if OP is going for Chicago deep dish then they need to plan at least 30 minutes to get said pizza. It's very possible that the wait could also be 1 hour for said pizza. If you're going to have that kind of pizza, maybe just take a cab to someplace around O'Hare. Someone more knowledgable than me (paging Chet) can tell you about that.

If you aren't dead set on getting that, then a train ride into the Loop, or anywhere in between, is certainly feasible with 4.5-5 hours of total free time.

I don't care if it is too touristy or terrible(?) or whatever, like some people might think, but the Billy Goat Tavern is cool. In my opinion, of course.

It's under the street, it's a dive, it's a place to get a drink. Never had the food, can't comment.

But it is something that not every city has. Even if there is something comparable out there, Billy Goat feels like Chicago. Once again, my opinion.

Make it your last stop, if you choose to go there, before heading back to O'Hare. Not your first, or only stop. Your last. It's not spectacular. But it's an interesting location in a place that has some interesting history behind it.

It's easy to get a cab back to O'Hare from there (30-90+ minutes, accounting for Friday traffic). But more costly.
Or take the Blue Line back (45-60 minutes). Cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Have fun!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
It's best to just use the Blue Line, which takes right into the airport. You never know about traffic to O'Hare, and you don't want to be ringing up a huge fare AND risk missing your flight..

The Billy Goat is not worth taking the long trek far into the Loop--it's just a burger joint made famous by Mike Royko and Saturday Night Live. Find a good Chicago pizza place not too far off the Blue Line, and not too deep into Chicago, and enjoy a good meal without becoming frantic about missing your flight.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
I'd say find some car or van driver to take you to downtown and back. O'Hare down the Kennedy expressway to Addison Ave. It goes by Wrigley Field to Lakeshore Drive. Down Lakeshore Drive past its beaches and harbors to downtown. Driving through downtown to the Museum Campus as its called and the stretch that shoots into the lake past Soldier Field to around Adler Planetarium and stop to stretch and for some great skyline pictures. You then could Stop quick at Shed Aquarium for a concession stand that sells Chicago-style Hotdogs, with the works, down from the Planetarium. If enough time a drive past Buckingham fountain Grant Park to Michigan Ave and along the Magnificent Mile. CHICAGO'S premier shopping street. Then at the drivers discretion, the best for him back. Either out to the expressway or back up Lakeshore Drive back to the airport. JUST A THOUGHT.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Um...

Lake Shore Drive is literally as far east as one can get in the core of Chicago and O'Hare is so far west it is completely surrounded by suburbs. You cannot take Lake Shore Dr to the airport...

Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Chet---You take Lakeshore drive north then take a street west that has a ramp unto the Kennedy Expressway again?? I did say Kennedy off at Addison to pass Wrigley Field, on the way in, for a quick look , maybe a picture. Could go back the same way. I believe Irving Park Rd has a on ramp. Or back on west of downtown. Been some years since I live in Chicago in my past and don't remember all Kennedy exit and on streets. Sure a local driver knows all. IT WAS ALL JUST A IDEA FOR A QUICK DRIVE DOWNTOWN AND BACK TO THE AIRPORT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago