Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 PM
CG1

2 posts, read 10,153 times

Advertisements

Wow, you heard REALLY quickly. I interviewed on 12/13 and just found out on 2/13. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 14,188 times
Question I am a CTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinferis View Post
i interviewed on 1/10 and have already heard. can anyone whose already been in this program talk about if they liked it or not? has anyone done the master's route? is it costly and how much extra time does it take?
Hi, I am a Chicago Teaching Fellow and think very highly of the program. It took me 14 months to get my certification--starting in the summer before the school year, then taking classes while teaching full time and then finishing the coursework the following summer. The total cost to me should be $0 because I took out Stafford loans to pay for my tuition (part of the tuition was also paid by an ACS grant) and since I am teaching in a high needs school, the loan will be forgiven after four years. I did not continue on with a master's because I already have an MBA; however, most of my cohort did continue on and it is taking them anywhere from 6 to 12 additional months.
It is truly the hardest work you will ever do, but has been completely worth it! Don't hesitate if you have any more questions!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM

15 posts, read 93,093 times
Wow, this is truly an intense program, unlike the other alternative teaching certification programs. Was the interview process complicated? I heard it's six hours long? Not to mention, you have to give a mock teaching demonstration, in front of a group of people. I was told to get the ICTCS basic skills test under the belt as soon as possible. I heard there's nothing basic about it all, only people who are able to pass it the first time, say it's simple.

I'm looking forward to your response.

-Thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 AM

Default interview

Hi, yes you will give a 10 minute lesson in front of other candidates as well as the interviewer; since everyone is in the same boat it is a supportive environment--just make sure you are thoroughly prepared with a solid lesson. As far as the ITBS test goes, there are some sample questions on the website that should help. I didn't think the ITBS test was difficult but was somewhat challenged by the middle school content test. Most likely you will need to take two tests--the Basic Skills, plus an additional test depending upon what you will be teaching. If you will be teaching middle school, then you will also take the middle school test. If high school, then you need to take the content test for your subject area (i.e. math, science etc.). These are more challenging but there are practice questions available. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 AM

15 posts, read 41,042 times
hey all,
a few questions - how long does it take to hear back after an application has been submitted. also, does anyone have any statistics on the number of people who apply/interview/accepted?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM

15 posts, read 93,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoteacher View Post
Hi, yes you will give a 10 minute lesson in front of other candidates as well as the interviewer; since everyone is in the same boat it is a supportive environment--just make sure you are thoroughly prepared with a solid lesson. As far as the ITBS test goes, there are some sample questions on the website that should help. I didn't think the ITBS test was difficult but was somewhat challenged by the middle school content test. Most likely you will need to take two tests--the Basic Skills, plus an additional test depending upon what you will be teaching. If you will be teaching middle school, then you will also take the middle school test. If high school, then you need to take the content test for your subject area (i.e. math, science etc.). These are more challenging but there are practice questions available. Good luck!
Thanks...for getting back so quickly. We were told that the sample lesson will be for five minutes. So, it must be quick and effective. I was placed in the Special Education category for the content test....so I'm looking for study guides for that testing as well!

Thanks, alot!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Default CTF stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown82 View Post
hey all,
a few questions - how long does it take to hear back after an application has been submitted. also, does anyone have any statistics on the number of people who apply/interview/accepted?
Hi, it can take a few weeks to hear after an application has been submitted. In my cohort year there were approximately 2500 applicants for a cohort of 135, but I don't know how many interviews were granted.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 17,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Harvey Resident View Post
Thanks...for getting back so quickly. We were told that the sample lesson will be for five minutes. So, it must be quick and effective. I was placed in the Special Education category for the content test....so I'm looking for study guides for that testing as well!

Thanks, alot!
hi, i just got into the program a few weeks ago. the lesson is five minutes, plus a group/mock discussion, and a sample writing portion. they tell you the interview is six hours because after the group portion of the interview, they schedule everyone for individual interviews and you have to wait around till you interview. In actuality, the entire interview is only a few hours, but they add in waiting time. Good luck! I think they said there are 200 spots this year? I know they said there are less spots than in the previous year.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 27,711 times
Default More questions

Hi guys,

This is funny. I rarely post to this site, and only sometimes read it. Lately, I have been thinking about "giving back" for awhile. After thinking about it some, I have come to realize teaching will probably be the best opportunity to do so.

I applied to CTF a few days ago, and I am now awaiting to hear if I have been granted an interview. I am a young male (24 years old) starting out in my profession.

My questions pertain to the difficulty of teaching. I have 0 experience in this field. My main worries are about the "high need" portion of the experience. My mom taught in CPS for most of her life, and is practically pleading me to not go through with this. If I do get accepted, I think it will be a great experience. But her concern does worry me.

For people who taught at CPS at this level and in these areas, how bad is it? Do you actually feel like you are doing good or are you constanlty going through loops to get things done? Are the kids receptive of you?Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
John

PS. I have registered for the basic skills test next week, and I hope to take the content test soon too. Any suggestions about the math or physics tests?!?!?! They both seem to contain alot of misc. information so I will have to study up.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,479 times
Hi guys,

Wow...found out about the forum just google-ing Chicago teaching fellows...
Found out about the program 2 weeks ago, just made the deadline on Wednesday, and got invited to an interview on Thursday( well, the interview is on 4/4 so I will be truly catching the last train...

I'm worried about the tests...I'm scheduled to take the computer based basic skills test on Tuesday, march 17th and probably the math one on April 25th...and I have to pass them now, there is no second chance!

Is the IBST comparable to the GRE/ACT tests???? Also, can't find a practice test for the high school math either( that would be the 115 one) can anyone tell me what's in there in terms of content? Algebra, geometry, pre-calc , calc? And how advanced???Derivatives, integrals, and such?

Thanks in advance you guys, good luck to all applicants that are still awaiting invitations to interviews and congrats to the ones that made it!!!!
Yeah, will be joining you soon...I am extremely excited about this program, I know it won't be easy by any means but trust me, the satisfactions will be nothing short of magnificent!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago