Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Can't say as I have a particular opinion about New Yorkers.

Those who find themselves in Chicago seem to either love or hate this town. And they'll make sure you know it in either case.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,225,042 times
I don't really think about New Yorkers all that much. When I've been to NYC, I've had very little interaction with locals but those I did interact with were like people you'd meet in Chicago.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM

451 posts, read 465,787 times
This question is dependent upon which "New Yorkers" you're talking about. The real New Yawkers who have lived in NY their whole lives, who embrace the whole city and respect other great cities including Chicago are solid people to whom I return the respect. The people who move there from South Dakota or somewhere, act like they've lived in NY their whole lives, look down their noses at people who live in the Bronx or New Jersey, and p1ss on every other place in the world, can keep pounding those beautiful bags of salt.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:50 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I know many New Yorkers and I have really liked everyone I've met in all my trips out there. They're generally happy people, calm, open minded and full of energy.

The only times I kinda laughed are when they get that distant look in their eye and will start giving a lecture to themselves on how amazing New York is, or they might kinda talk to you a little slow like they're letting you in on the secret of life when they start talking about specific cultural things or enlightened subjects. Yes, I get it. I don't play in the dirt with sticks all day.

The only time I really laughed was after I got off a plane from Chicago and met my friend up at a gay bar, total dive, in Manhattan. Some annoying little guy walked up and looked at me with that "oh no she didn't!" look and said "Oh my god - you must be from the Midwest <three second pause>...you're wearing a HOODIE in a bar!". I mean, duh, I know that, and I don't give a crap what I look like, I'm in a dark dive bar in Manhattan and the kid was HORRID looking. I just instantly smiled really big and looked him up and down and then blurted out all excited "Oh, you must be from the Midwest too!!!". He just rolled his eyes and walked away and I looked at the bartender like "oh no she didn't". He just laughed.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Mod cut.

Quote:
There is a great variety of people there.

I lived on the east coast though not in NYC. I do have relatives who live in Central Park West and the older generation lived in other parts of NYC. The relatives are lovely people.

I would not live in NYC though. Too crowded. Without the alleys, NYC smells. I would only live there if I could drop my house into the middle of Central Park so that I had room to breathe.

The ocean is nice, but not that close. Living in Chicago, I could walk to the lakefront and beaches.

I have a good friend who lives in Brooklyn and has two children. The scene to get kids into good schools there is insane. Here in Chicago, there are good preschools all over the place and I lived in a suburb with great schools. Living where I lived here in Chicago, the variety of people I met was as good as the variety of people I met in NYC. City schools in NYC are no better than city schools in Chicago unless your children get into good magnet schools and NYC is actually trying to destroy the magnet schools because they don't have the *right* percentage of special needs children.

Thanks for your honest opinions.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
This thread is closed. Numerous off-topic posts and personal attacks have been deleted.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago