Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM

83 posts, read 240,418 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move downtown from my live in investment property. I'd rather buy than rent and pay for someone else mortgage. I was considering the Fulton River District but I can get one in River North for a bit more.

The price of condo is back to just about below 5% of the peak price in 2008 before the crash. Is now still a good time to buy? From my calculation, I can at least rent the condo out and break even with my mortgage + tax + HOA monthly payment. It is super easy to rent in that area.

I'm looking at the high rises in Kinzie & Lasalle. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:23 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityChiCity View Post
I'm looking to move downtown from my live in investment property. I'd rather buy than rent and pay for someone else mortgage. I was considering the Fulton River District but I can get one in River North for a bit more.

The price of condo is back to just about below 5% of the peak price in 2008 before the crash. Is now still a good time to buy? From my calculation, I can at least rent the condo out and break even with my mortgage + tax + HOA monthly payment. It is super easy to rent in that area.

I'm looking at the high rises in Kinzie & Lasalle. What do you guys think?
Be careful if you're looking at The Sterling. It had a rash of foreclosures during the crash and I'm not sure what percentage of the units are owned vs. rented anymore. That can affect salability. Also take a good look at their reserves.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Beat me to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Be careful if you're looking at The Sterling. It had a rash of foreclosures during the crash and I'm not sure what percentage of the units are owned vs. rented anymore. That can affect salability. Also take a good look at their reserves.
There are lots of reasons to be wary of "buying at near peak prices" and top of that list is that MANY condo units are in buildings where the "reserve funds" are just a sea of red ink from unpaid assessments and lost legal fees.

The short answer is that for anyone that fears having to pony up huge jumps in assessments ought to give some serious attention to the overall finances of the condo HOA and also get as much as info as possible about the status of owner-occupied units vs those rented out...

While there are some circumstances where one can do well buying a condo, the degree to which previous "distressed sales" leaves the whole complex with an undesirable mix of "quick buck" type landlords is a huge negative.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yes, I'm looking at the Sterling and 400 N Lasalle. What I like about them is that they don't have Rent Cap so I can rent the condo anytime if I move away. I plan to keep the property for at least 5 years.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are lots of reasons to be wary of "buying at near peak prices" and top of that list is that MANY condo units are in buildings where the "reserve funds" are just a sea of red ink from unpaid assessments and lost legal fees.

The short answer is that for anyone that fears having to pony up huge jumps in assessments ought to give some serious attention to the overall finances of the condo HOA and also get as much as info as possible about the status of owner-occupied units vs those rented out...

While there are some circumstances where one can do well buying a condo, the degree to which previous "distressed sales" leaves the whole complex with an undesirable mix of "quick buck" type landlords is a huge negative.
Exactly my thought, I don't know if buying at near the top is a good idea. Ideally, I'd prefer to buy another investment property to get some rental income and then rent a condo downtown. Unfortunately, there are not that many great investment property left in the market. Even the decent ones are gone in less than 5 days.

On the other hand, buying a condo that is easy to rent and can cover my mortgage at least gives me peace of mind.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM

265 posts, read 405,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityChiCity View Post
Yes, I'm looking at the Sterling and 400 N Lasalle. What I like about them is that they don't have Rent Cap so I can rent the condo anytime if I move away. I plan to keep the property for at least 5 years.
I personally would be weary of buildings with NO rental caps. If the rentals get into too high of a percentage, that means other future buyers will not be able to get financing (unless they're paying in cash). That greatly decreases the number of people you could sell to, thus bringing down the price.

Rental caps are a good thing. As long as they're not too strict and give you the option to rent if needed.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Personally, I would much rather own a place where the majority of the tenants are owners. I would imagine a lot of people would share my sentiment, so that could affect selling.

In terms of peak prices... Owning is a lifestyle choice 1st, financials should be 2nd. If the pros and cons of owning appeal to you, go ahead.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 PM

288 posts, read 255,657 times
I live in the sterling, and I like it, for a future rental it's a good building in my opinion. I have not heard of any foreclosures, though there might be. They just did a massive renovation, the building has a lot of young professionals living that work in the loop surrounding areas. In about 2 years I will be ready to buy an investment property and if I found a good deal in the Sterling I would defiantly consider it.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kch84 View Post
I live in the sterling, and I like it, for a future rental it's a good building in my opinion. I have not heard of any foreclosures, though there might be. They just did a massive renovation, the building has a lot of young professionals living that work in the loop surrounding areas. In about 2 years I will be ready to buy an investment property and if I found a good deal in the Sterling I would defiantly consider it.
Do you mind telling how much you pay for rent and how many beds/baths in your condo?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:03 PM

288 posts, read 255,657 times
I'm under 1350 for a studio on the 24th floor, which is cheap and I've been here for a while too. The higher the floor the more expensive. A 2 bed just got rented next door for 2700. 1 beds go from 1600- 2k, depending on the floor. Also all units have a washer dryer, granite breakfast bar, etc with a garbage disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: