Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I spend a lot of time getting to / from United Center and even places further west like the newer Johnnies Ice House as part of my obsession with the Black Hawks (twitter feeds are hot during the play offs, quiet now...) so I get LOTS of opportunity to see what the city has done right on the west side and what they still need to re-think. I would urge anyone considering making an investment for their own home or even speculative / invvestment purposes to think long and hard about the likely direction of inner ring suburbs vs Garfield Park.
Yeah, the thing is that Garfield Park could gentrify but it's not. Unfortunately, the areas currently gentrifying in Humboldt Park around Chicago Ave, Augusta, a little west of California, and Western is separated by a big rail yard and some more industrial stuff to EGP. It is interesting though in that some of the areas just west of the United Center have some nice residential stuff, but I'm not sure if it's truly gentrified yet. I think West of Western there is a different story but I haven't been to that particular part too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM

367 posts, read 672,670 times
isn't the problem with EGP that its basically bombed out and desolate? nowadays its nothing to gentrify a dangerous neighborhood when it has a solid built environment but i dont think hipsters have the stomach to move into a neighborhood that has huge swaths of open fields.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
isn't the problem with EGP that its basically bombed out and desolate? nowadays its nothing to gentrify a dangerous neighborhood when it has a solid built environment but i dont think hipsters have the stomach to move into a neighborhood that has huge swaths of open fields.
I wouldn't call it bombed out and not everywhere in it is desolate. if you want to see without going there at least with the desolation part, go to Google Maps and zoom in. You can see where buildings are and it's fairly up to date.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:50 PM

424 posts, read 467,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The entire stretch of Madison going through the west side just got a MAJOR overhaul, and it definitely wasn't renovated for the current residents. The city has plans for that part of the city. Do not listen to city-data posters, as they probably never actually venture into the parts of the city they deem dangerous.
It was renovated with federal money that Obama helped the area get. You're right in that they didn't do it for the current residents - they did it for the contractors who got paid to do it. But, if any if any of you are dumb enough to buy in East Garfield Park knock yourself out. You can be assured that someone else will as soon as you get there haha!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrb View Post
I guess city-data does have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I was hoping to get some people thinking positively of the neighborhood. I mean, this is where a ton of people go to research neighborhoods they would move to in the city.
But no one has a crystal ball either, people often speak in terms of what has been and how things are now, rather than what could be. People moving to an area look at research today if they plan a move in the near future. Looking at the crime stats, it's still not a safe area. East Garfield Park ranks 7th among Chicago's 77 community areas for Violent crime reports in the last 30 days. While West Garfield is worse, there is no stone wall separating these two areas. Listen to the scanner at night and you hear calls of nit-wit thugs driving around shooting off rounds and causing trouble. Who wants to live anywhere near that if ya don't have to? All the if's and maybe's and talk by politicians of 5 years down the road really mean very little to those looking to relocate this year. These people will be looking at facts and figures that represent in real terms how the area is today.

East Garfield Park -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

Old 06-17-2014, 06:19 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,445,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I wouldn't call it bombed out and not everywhere in it is desolate. if you want to see without going there at least with the desolation part, go to Google Maps and zoom in. You can see where buildings are and it's fairly up to date.
Yes but there can still be desolation despite many buildings being there. If you drive down Lake street it looks like a lot of the buildings are vacant. Drive down Lake Street on a saturday afternoon and its kind of creepy how little traffic there is.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
It was renovated with federal money that Obama helped the area get. You're right in that they didn't do it for the current residents - they did it for the contractors who got paid to do it.
Riiiight...

Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Who wants to live anywhere near that if ya don't have to?
The bottom line is, most C-D posters do not want to live near around ANY people of color. Instead of admitting the truth, they talk around it and use buzzwords like "crime" and "unsafe" and "few amenities" etc etc.

Chicago will always be Chicago, [forbidden term] tension included.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
The bottom line is, most C-D posters do not want to live near around ANY people of color. Instead of admitting the truth, they talk around it and use buzzwords like "crime" and "unsafe" and "few amenities" etc etc.

I currently live in Lyons, which as of right now is diverse with about half of the pop being hispanic and half of the pop being white, and maybe a few black families (it's a small town), and I frankly have no issues living here because it isn't overrun with crime. I think for you to say that people who judge a neighborhood off of the crime and how well the houses are kept by calling them basically closeted racists is pretty ignorant. I don't look at demographics of race of a neighborhood and draw conclusions from there, but not wanting to move to a neighborhood that has prostitution, shootings, constant drug dealings, infested with gangs, with boarded up windows etc., is not being racist, if by some random chance it happens to be the majority of the population being people of color. There are many white neighborhoods that I think are unsafe too. This shouldn't (and isn't) a race issue.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:

So some person who moves here who wants to be directly around many bars, restaurants, etc and be in a walkable area are now being racist because they don't pick North Lawndale or West Garfield Park? Or perhaps some family that wants a safe area for their kids? Riiiiiight. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that anybody looking up crime reports will see that the reports of crime are high and there's not a ton of what they're looking for in the first place there. It doesn't even matter if you know that it isn't true, it's how they interpret the data they're seeing in the first place. Most people when moving are not going to look at crime reports of an area, see a lot of crime, and say "Oh whatever, it'll be fine." If you honestly think that, then I feel extremely sorry for you for not being able to recognize the reality of why people don't move to these areas.

This reminds me of an article I read today about the lady who's changed/changing the perception of "West of Western" in Humboldt Park. She realized there was a PR problem - it didn't matter what the truth was, most people thought of the area as dangerous, even if it wasn't. So instead of coming online to ***** and moan about it, she actually did something about it and changed the perception of the area:

Humboldt Park's Reclaimed 'WOW District' Thrives 'West of Western' - Humboldt Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with racism and I think people who claim these things automatically and just assume are just as bad at generalizing as the bigots they claim the others to be. Part of this may be a PR problem, but the other part of the problem also has to do with how people interpret crime reports, and also amenities. And most people moving to Chicago don't come to this site. It's probably less than 1/100 of 1% of all people who move every year. Keep sidestepping the issues though and claiming racism though. It's not going to get you anywhere because it's not actually the reason why most people aren't going to these areas.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-17-2014 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago