Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
don't listen to people who tell you a car is optional
Quote:
i love only driving my car once or twice a month but i absolutely need it
Lived without a car in Chicago for 15 years now. Never had a problem getting a job, dating, anything. I do rent cars occasionally, but as far as *owning* a car - absolutely optional here unless your job requires one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 03:48 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post
When you take a cab, don't give the cab driver the exact address. It's a dead giveaway that you're new, and some may take the longest way possible to get a higher fare. Instead, give them the nearest cross street.
I always give addresses if I'm going to private place, but then again I'm not at all afraid to give a driver an earfull if they try to take me for a ride. Hell, I stiffed a driver in San Francisco once because he thought he could get tricky with an out of towner, so you can believe as a local drivers here better not try to yank me around. That said, always, ALWAYS treat cabbies with respect until and unless they prove they don't deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Go ahead and put ketchup on your hot dog; perfectly normal in most parts of the country, but...
I do this, but only in the privacy of my own home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
They wrote my condo association a $1500 ticket for garbage cans being overflowed, as an example of a non-car ticket the city can levy.
Mine, too. And it wasn't even our garbage, it was our a-hole neighbor (not part of the condo association) leaving bags outside our dumpster. When I called him on it (rather politely, considering he'd cost us $1,500), he had the nerve to call ME an a-hole. If he hadn't been dying of cancer, I'd have been tempted to sock him in the nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
And our tree branches in front of the building were hanging too low... another ticket. They're devious.
As someone who hates getting poked in the eye walking down the sidewalk in the middle of the night, I think I side with the City on that ticket.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

5) Thinking that they will make tons of good friends right away in a new city. Unless you're in college, it's going to take longer than that unless you get really lucky. People here are friendly, but they aren't over eager to be your best friend at the drop of a dime after meeting you for 2 minutes...usually. Look at Meetup groups, join a health club, etc etc.
I disagree with this one.

I met awesome people right out the gate. Within a month, I had other new comers to explore the city with. It was fun because we didn't have silly hangups on not going to this area or that side of town.

Social Media helped a lot.

If you go and sit in a bar it's not going to happen.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I disagree with this one.

I met awesome people right out the gate. Within a month, I had other new comers to explore the city with. It was fun because we didn't have silly hangups on not going to this area or that side of town.

Social Media helped a lot.

If you go and sit in a bar it's not going to happen.
That's fine, but it's not the norm - I can tell you that. It's easy to meet people if you're social, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about peole whom you call your great friends.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:08 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
don't listen to people who tell you a car is optional
I don't get this. I was going to say the most common mistake is people who think they DO need a car. Anybody who works in the loop or other close public trans areas and live anywhere from Lakeview to South Loop to Logan Square don't need to be concerned about having a car.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Don't be naive around bums and panhandlers. We've got the worst in the country, and the city doesn't do a damn thing about it.

Don't get drunk by yourself no matter where you are. There are scumbags all over ready to mug you or do worse.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
As someone who hates getting poked in the eye walking down the sidewalk in the middle of the night, I think I side with the City on that ticket.
Hear, hear! I didn't even realize the City ticketed for this. I think I'll start calling in violations.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
One common mistake newcomers make is...
settling into a place or area to live, before landing a job - which often leads to terrible commutes. If possible, get a job first, then find a place to stay that is most convenient.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I don't get this. I was going to say the most common mistake is people who think they DO need a car. Anybody who works in the loop or other close public trans areas and live anywhere from Lakeview to South Loop to Logan Square don't need to be concerned about having a car.
Agreed - you can easily live in the city without a car depending on your lifestyle and where you work

Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 PM

527 posts, read 600,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Which part of the skit? I haven't found it to be overly accurate other than people here and there actually having those accents (but I haven't run into TONS of people with that accent).
A LOT of people here have that accent, and are every bit as obsessed with sports as those guys were. I assume that's what the poster was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago