Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:45 PM

23 posts, read 39,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
That number represents countless attempts at bat over an entire season.

I'm not sure of the significance of a 150 person difference in a single poll when you are relying on a sample size of 600 to represent the motives of ~13,000,000.
But you're conflating arguments. I am 100% with you when it comes to sample size. I'm not too sure it's a perfect survey either. But my contention is with marothisu's dismissal of the results due to they being just a difference between 2 out of 4 and 1 out of 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well, a few things.
1) If you read the study, I think it says something that it was actually done in January or December. Meaning that some of the those real cold days weren't even a reality when people responded to this.

2) A winter like MN and parts of WI had are more normal for them than what Chicago had. Most of my friends still in Minnesota weren't really complaining about it. Around Christmas when I went to MN, it was -10 as a high when I landed and everyone was going about their lives like it was nothing. Having grown up there, temps like these certainly aren't out of the ordinary. While they don't happen everyday, you're pretty much guaranteed that every winter you'll have a few weeks total of days like that. That coupled with the fact that most people in MN and WI drive, and more people in Chicago rely on public transit and there's another thing. Also, Chicago has more transplants from warmer climates that aren't used to these things. Not that it tells us WHO was interviewed for this poll but it's a possibility for some of the answers.
Okay, I get the first part - but again, the winter Chicago just had is more like the norm in those other states where people are less likely to want to move, particularly Minnesota. Maybe not necessarily in terms of snowfall but definitely in terms of cold. North Dakota too was another state with very low numbers (relatively speaking of course) of people wanting to move.

Regarding your second point, I can see how Chicagoans who frequently are outside would be affected, but this poll was for the entire state of Illinois. Even in the Chicago metro, most people are going to be driving around in cars. Most certainly as if not more true for the rest of the state of Illinois. I just can't see the numbers being meaningfully affected by that fact alone. Yes a lot of people take public transportation in Illinois, certainly more so than in Wisconsin and Minnesota, but Illinois is a MUCH larger state population wise too.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:53 AM

220 posts, read 417,817 times
The bottom line is it is a slightly disturbing poll to consider BUT other posters such as "marothisu" bring up a good point that even in the "best" cities about 25% want to move away. You guys brought up great points that it seems to be human nature to have people looking to venture out and change their lives or lifestyles by moving to a new area. Also if the poll was taken anywhere from January - March of this year then it happened to be a during this very unusual but brutal winter.

I must share that we know live in the Orlando area and have been wanting to move somewhere out west for years now. We love Orlando (except June - Sept :-)) but want to move so I guess you can count our family in that statistic also!

The thing that surprised me is the fact that it is very hard to find another city like a Chicago. I guess you can argue for NY of course and maybe several west coast cities and even Atlanta but for people that love big city life in the US I always thought it was NY # 1 and Chicago # 2.

My secret dream is Vancouver, BC but find some pocket of land that does not get all the grey weather for 3/4 of the year.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Okay, I get the first part - but again, the winter Chicago just had is more like the norm in those other states where people are less likely to want to move, particularly Minnesota. Maybe not necessarily in terms of snowfall but definitely in terms of cold. North Dakota too was another state with very low numbers (relatively speaking of course) of people wanting to move.

Regarding your second point, I can see how Chicagoans who frequently are outside would be affected, but this poll was for the entire state of Illinois. Even in the Chicago metro, most people are going to be driving around in cars. Most certainly as if not more true for the rest of the state of Illinois. I just can't see the numbers being meaningfully affected by that fact alone. Yes a lot of people take public transportation in Illinois, certainly more so than in Wisconsin and Minnesota, but Illinois is a MUCH larger state population wise too.
True, but we don't know what percentage of those 600 people came from lifestyles that drive and don't take any or a lot of public transit. I know what you're saying though and it's an excellent point. The funny thing is that the previous few winters were more like NYC winters with warmer temps and less snow. Some people are affected in general though. My parents have a friend in Minnesota with SAD - pretty much anything under 50 or 60 degrees and he's kind of depressed unless it's completely sunny out. I truly believe that many people in the world have this in all sorts of areas.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I think what got lost in the results and comments on this poll was the way they actually asked the question:

regardless of if you plan to, if you had the opportunity to move to a different state, would you?

I would say yes, just because I want to live a little, and I would like to think that regardless of what I plan on doing, if the opportunity came up to experience a different state, would I be open to that? Sure, why not?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
What is lost is we have had many surveys come out recently that are extremely unflattering regarding both the economy, government, and resident's disposition towards the state of Illinois (all of which are interconnected especially government).

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think what got lost in the results and comments on this poll was the way they actually asked the question:

regardless of if you plan to, if you had the opportunity to move to a different state, would you?

I would say yes, just because I want to live a little, and I would like to think that regardless of what I plan on doing, if the opportunity came up to experience a different state, would I be open to that? Sure, why not?
That's a good point - definitely missed in translation or what have you. I mean, I like Chicago but if the opportunity arose for me...yeah, why not? Doesn't mean that I want to get the hell out of Chicago right away though, but it would be fun experiencing daily life in places like LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, Miami, DC, Austin, etc. Why not?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 23,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's a good point - definitely missed in translation or what have you. I mean, I like Chicago but if the opportunity arose for me...yeah, why not? Doesn't mean that I want to get the hell out of Chicago right away though, but it would be fun experiencing daily life in places like LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, Miami, DC, Austin, etc. Why not?
If you want to experience it in Austin, be prepared for constant traffic jams and no public transit alternative Despite being more "liberal," its public transit is even worse than Houston/Dallas, which are very bad themselves. It is also on average hotter than Houston/Dallas (so good luck walking anywhere during daytime).

Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinGuy View Post
If you want to experience it in Austin, be prepared for constant traffic jams and no public transit alternative Despite being more "liberal," its public transit is even worse than Houston/Dallas, which are very bad themselves. It is also on average hotter than Houston/Dallas (so good luck walking anywhere during daytime).
Yeah, that's true. Just think it would be fun I have no problem with really hot weather either. Last time I was in Tucson, AZ it was over 100 and I was able to wear jeans and a button up shirt (black shirt even) without problem. Most things until they hit an extreme are usually a mental thing - hot or cold - at least to me.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
If I didn't have relatives that I'm very close to, I'd be gone by now. Have you ever checked out the real estate and property taxes in other states? And then driven on their pristine highways? And filled your rental car with gas? And then gone shopping?

I don't even care about the weather, despite the fact that some of my commutes have been 2 - 3 hours as a result of rain or snow. I DO care that property taxes are insane compared to other parts of the country, we have some of the highest gas prices in the nation and today I read that they're considering adding tolls to the "freeways" here.

The corruption in our state accounts for much that I'm talking about and it seems to be never ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago