Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I've been cycling in the city for ~6 years and if anyone has ever done something to intentionally mess with me, then I didn't notice. Some people swear that drivers are all out to get them, I think those bikers are just uptight c**ts personally.

You just need thick skin and dedication. After a while it'll be as natural as driving or walking anywhere.
I agree with this. I've never seen a driver intentionally target a cyclist, although there are occasionally complaints of it by some cyclists. In the downtown area and the north lakefront, drivers are quite used to cyclists so while they may complain about cyclists who run stop signs and such, they are generally careful and alert to cyclists. That said, safety first and as the smallest vehicle on the road it's really up to you to watch the other vehicles regardless of who has the right of way. My biggest concern, frankly, is drunk drivers who aren't paying attention, not road rage. Drunk drivers aren't a huge problem, and during commuting hours there would be very few, if any, on the road - but like anything else, it pays to be alert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 PM

498 posts, read 724,621 times
Fwiw, the only time I saw a bike get hit by a car was at Clark & Wrightwood. It was a guy on a divvy bike who got knocked to the ground at a low speed when car turned in to drive way w/o seeing the bike. Thankfully the guy was okay, but just always be alert. I live by Clark st in Park West and it's supposed to be 'bike friendly', but it still seems pretty nerve wracking to me on that stretch of Clark (and more so the further south you go on Clark).

Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Although it would add a few miles there is always the Lakefront trail. However, my experience with most crowded multiuse paths are they have a bad mix of joggers, dog walkers, skaters, and amateur cyclists and I feel safer on the roads. If you will be out at night make sure you have lots of reflective bits as well as front and rear lights. I commuted from Niles to UIC a few summers when gas first hit $4. I did fine a few bad intersections [Ashland/Elston] otherwise no real problems.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM

72 posts, read 242,748 times
I'll explore all my options when I get there, especially Wells if its a safer corridor north and south. Thanks guys!

Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
I will just say there is a world of difference between 7 am and 8 am in the morning, so if you have the ability to tweak your schedule, the earlier you can leave, the better from the perspective of avoiding the rush.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I agree with this. I've never seen a driver intentionally target a cyclist, although there are occasionally complaints of it by some cyclists. In the downtown area and the north lakefront, drivers are quite used to cyclists so while they may complain about cyclists who run stop signs and such, they are generally careful and alert to cyclists. That said, safety first and as the smallest vehicle on the road it's really up to you to watch the other vehicles regardless of who has the right of way. My biggest concern, frankly, is drunk drivers who aren't paying attention, not road rage. Drunk drivers aren't a huge problem, and during commuting hours there would be very few, if any, on the road - but like anything else, it pays to be alert.

There was a case of this a few years ago where a peloton of racers on St Mary's RD [a hugely popular cycling route] in Lake Forest was attacked by a guy in a pickup truck who pulled right in front of them and slammed on the brakes though such incidents are rare and there are tons of cyclists in Chicago so drivers are mostly used to seeing them.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:13 PM

72 posts, read 242,748 times
I was planning on riding out around 6:30-7 so I can take my time and enjoy the morning ride.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
I live on my bike... would second Wells.

Clark kind of sucks.

That being said, riding Wells without a lane is no walk in the park, either, and the sidewalk is not really an option through River North, because it is very populated.

So I would take another street from the Loop south to Erie, then jump up to Wells. Maybe Clark.

The Dearborn lane south downtown f**king sucks.

I'm glad they built it, but it's literally between two lanes of traffic at times, in cabbie and tourist central. I'm a pretty ballsy dude but it feels about as safe as a riding down Lake Shore Drive.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:54 PM

88 posts, read 171,374 times
I bike from Lakeview (just north of LP) every day down to River North to and from work. When it's warmer, I take the lake path (slightly longer distance, but quicker because it's less stop and go). Clark street is good. I would avoid LaSalle, but you can still ride it.

Just be smart when biking! You'll love it and become obsessed!

Kristin

Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM

528 posts, read 712,261 times
Not meaning to be a troll, but I would say just take public transit. Too many texting/distracted drivers out there combined with equally careless cyclists is a recipe for a disaster. After your first accident , you will see it is hardly worth it.

There is a way to ride safely, it is called "Vehicular cycling" , but I've not seen many do it. You have to basically take control of the lane by riding in the center of it. This prevents drivers from buzzing you and forces them to overtake you like any other slow moving vehicle. It also prevents getting doored and getting hit at intersections by right-turning cars.

I used to do it and never had any issue riding 3000 miles a year. But the stress of dealing with angry motorists was not worth it. So now I just walk everywhere and take public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago