Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But my point wasn't that gentrification was good or bad, rather that it just is. As usual there is a lot of griping about it but nobody never seems to want to offer any kind of solution. As far as I know the only thing that's ever been utilized is rent control and it's quite obvious what a fail that was, and it actually made things worse in cities like San Francisco and New York.
Exactly. I have yet to see anyone post a concrete way to stop gentrification. Do you tell people who bought in the neighborhood in the 80's that they can't sell for a profit? Do you place an income cap on people who can move into a neighborhood? There are real problems nationwide with affordable housing, livable wages, and quality education - but these are things that are independent of (and much more important than) gentrification. Even the neighborhoods that aren't experiencing gentrification have lost much of their sense of identity. Even new immigrants are moving straight to the suburbs and bypassing the city. If someone wants a neighborhood to retain it's character the first thing they need to look at is how to retain current residents, who are leaving with or without gentrification and rising rents.

Let's put that question out there again - what policies would opponents of gentrification enact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Higher education is an individual answer, not a societal one. Indeed, much of the value of a higher education comes from the fact that not everyone has one. Society should provide everyone who wants to work with good paying work, if it can't do that it must provide services to fend off social unrest and revolution. The nature of such services depends on one's personality and politics--some people will favor economic services but others would favor repressive police services.
Difficult, isn't it? People always say "education", as if there were just one way to deliver one concept that everyone understands to be "good education".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There is always one white dude who gets it. Respect to you.

**** come out here to sf where the white hipsters, cops, teachers, and artists complain about gentrification. A city does not function properly with out its working class. Gentrification is a *****.
You know, it's interesting that "NorCal Dude" would comment on this. I presume that you are in Oakland, which did not have a black population until the 40's. The Japanese internment camps opened up a lot of space in the area, and yet the black community is so quiet on that front.

Spike Lee is full of ****. New York City has never been static. Neighborhoods that were once Italian and Jewish become Puerto Rican, then Dominican, then Chinese; Chinese neighborhoods become Russian or something else still.

What gets me is the sense of overwhelming entitlement from those who oppose what they term to be gentrification. As if they were owed a life free from change.

No one is guaranteed those rights. In comparison to most other nations in the contemporary world, and literally any other empire to ever exist, the United States is almost hilariously benevolent. Do you know what humans, of all colors and creeds, typically do to groups of poor people in ghettos? Hint: They do not/did not provide them with Section 8.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I would tend to agree with you. I'm not saying it's necessarily right. I recently had a job offer in San Francisco but I had to turn it down because I don't see myself really being able to comfortably live there making less than 100k a year, and even though the offer was for a good amount more than I currently make, I still don't think it would have been enough considering the outrageous cost of living. And I wasn't interested in living in the suburbs or having roommates.

But my point wasn't that gentrification was good or bad, rather that it just is. As usual there is a lot of griping about it but nobody never seems to want to offer any kind of solution. As far as I know the only thing that's ever been utilized is rent control and it's quite obvious what a fail that was, and it actually made things worse in cities like San Francisco and New York. As someone else pointed out, Chicago at least isn't at the point of some of those other cities where the average joe is priced out. And they abolished rent control. So when you put it in perspective I really don't think gentrification has taken quite the toll on Chicago as it has in other cities.
The "Average Joe" being defined someone who earns at least twice the minimum wage, I presume. If you can still see minimum wage in the rear view mirror, you're a below average Joe in Chicago.

Last edited by urza216; 03-11-2014 at 12:25 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
The "Average Joe" being defined someone who earns at least twice the minimum wage, I presume. If you can still see minimum wage in the rear view mirror, you're a below average Joe in Chicago.
OK, but think this through. I got my first summer job when I wasn't even in high school. I was looking at minimum wage disappear in the mirror by the time I was 16, it was only the completely lopsided supply-demand curve that UIUC offers that dragged me down in college (supply of educated/easily trainable labor vastly dwarfs job opportunities).

So for the sake of argument, let's say you get your first job after high school, and are making minimum wage. There is something very, very wrong with your life choices if by your mid-twenties you are still making minimum wage.

And if in your 30s you are, there are far deeper problems still that are a factor.

What people growing up in Chicago need to understand is that the cost of living in our city is like a very strong current, and being able to simply stand still in the current - much less move against it - requires constant education and training.

The short-lived glory days of manufacturing jobs where you could go and rivet things together and support a family and own a house are long gone, and are never coming back.

And the jobs in the fast food sector aren't likely to ever pay much more than they do now. The profits those companies are making are artificially inflated by unsustainable agricultural subsidies, and that *** is coming up soon.

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 03-12-2014 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: typos. this is why I don't make minimum wage, I auto-correct

Old 03-12-2014, 12:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
LOL @ auto-censor

Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
LOL @ auto-censor
Giggity?

giggity giggity, giggity goo - YouTube

Or Jiggy?

Will Smith - Gettin' Jiggy Wit It - YouTube

If "giggity", then: No sense of humor or awareness of cultural references

If "jiggy", then: Proof that even the City-Data censors on the Chicago forum are racist.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:10 PM

LOFL, it doesn't like "***"?

Isn't that offensive to carpenters and old timey banjo players?

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 03-12-2014 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: let's see if it hates "***" in the editing field...

Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM

It sure does. j-i-g is not a bad word, City Data!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Hey!

Shut up! You jag!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Other words that are puzzlingly auto-censored:

y.ak (as in the large mammal)
f.rogger (as in the classic video game)
p.icka (I don't even know what the hell that means much less why it would be auto-censored)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago