Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,936 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have been on the forum seeking info on areas that may fit best for my situation, but I still don't really have the answer. Hopefully you all can assist ...

I'm in the running for a new job opportunity in Chicago, working in the Loop. I need to know what areas/neighborhoods would be best for me to look for rental apartments or condos. I'm looking for a one bedroom with accessible parking. My husband and two small dogs will eventually move with me. I have a vehicle but will get rid of it if it will bring unnecessary burden; but my husband will most definitely have a vehicle, so at least one parking space is needed. If I will not have a car I would prefer to live close to the loop or close as possible to public transit with a 30 min or less commute to the loop. Since I will be paying the rent alone for a few months I'm looking to pay around $1200 max per month.

What areas would best match my needs? Is this even possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
It's definitely possible, but not every building may have a private parking space - usually they cost extra if so otherwise you can park on the street.

I think we need more info though - what type of area in terms of personality are you looking for? Do you care about being close to some restaurants, bars, etc and be able to walk there or do you just not care? Also, what part of the Loop would you be working in?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's definitely possible, but not every building may have a private parking space - usually they cost extra if so otherwise you can park on the street.

I think we need more info though - what type of area in terms of personality are you looking for? Do you care about being close to some restaurants, bars, etc and be able to walk there or do you just not care? Also, what part of the Loop would you be working in?
We would like to have accessibility to nice spots to hang out but no need for a party area. The cost of parking is not included in the $1200 rental budget. I would be working off South Wacker.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Are you looking for a 1 bedroom or a 2 bedroom for $1200/month with parking?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM

1-bedroom with parking but a 2-bedroom would be nice! Especially if in a safe area and still within budget.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:31 PM

I think a 1 bedroom is very doable with this. I would look along the Brown Line which has stops 2 streets east of S Wacker. I would suggest an area like Ravenswood or Lincoln Square because they are quiet, but have a number of restaurants, shops, and some bars as well. The community there is more mature so you aren't going to get a wild party atmosphere from any of the bars there.

You should be able to find a 1 bedroom in that area for $1100/month and under. For parking, not all buildings have it so you'd have to look into that. My ex girlfriend lived near the Montrose Brown Line stop and paid $100/month for private parking. It was not covered, but it was in back of her building that you got to through an alleyway. If not, then there's street parking which I believe is free in the area. If not then for most cars it's like $25 a year I believe. It's first come first serve though. If you have a truck then it's going to cost more. Also remember that you need to register your car in Illinois which costs some money to get a city stick/wheel tax. That is dependent on the make and model of a car basically.

Anyway, the houses in the area are nice old homes - not cheap, but the rent in the area is affordable for such a great area. The mayor actually lives in Ravenswood and it's one of the safest areas of town. It's about 30-35 minutes train ride to where you'd need to go.

Also the area is good because it has ample park space for your dog with parks like Welles Park and Winnemac Park, and Horner Park is not far away either. I'd recommend looking on sites like Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US, Domu Chicago | Chicagoland Apartments, and Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder

Look around the Brown Line stops of Montrose, Damen, and Western, but also around the Southport, Addison, and Paulina stops isn't bad either. Irving Park Brown Line isn't terrible either.

Last edited by marothisu; 02-08-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM

This is great info. Thanks so much!

Old 02-08-2014, 06:33 PM

No problem. I forgot to mention that the areas around some of the other stops I mentioned are North Center and Roscoe Village, which are also just as safe as Lincoln Square/Ravenswood.

Here's a few videos on these areas in case you're curious. These videos are a few years old:

Community Video: Lincoln Square in Chicago, IL - YouTube

Community Video: Roscoe Village in Chicago, IL - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago