Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 AM

13 posts, read 35,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The similarity is not that close but I don't think the OP was expecting a miracle.
Correct - thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like we need a walkable suburb close to Itasca. So far I've read recommendations for Glenn Ellyn, Oak Park and Forest Park. Are there others we should consider? Schools will eventually be important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If schools are important scratch Forest Park off the list.

To the list of towns with good schools I would add Wheaton, Elmhurst, LaGrange, Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills and Western Springs. All have charming older homes, a walkable core, very family oriented lifestyle (as opposed to nightlife oreintation) with affluent residents that care about things like well thought of resturants, Farmer's Markets / organic produce... If that is really the extent of the what is really important then the Brooklyn angle is not really relavent.

Given the desire to keep open the option for rail commute to Loop and still have tolerable commute to Itasca via personal vehicle you will want something close to the UP-W line or the even faster BNSF as well as having good access to 355 /Rt53 and/or Rt 83& 290...

Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Coming from London and wanting to live in a place similar to Brooklyn...I don't think you'll enjoy Glen Ellyn.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Coming from London and wanting to live in a place similar to Brooklyn...I don't think you'll enjoy Glen Ellyn.

I agree... I have a feeling outer Suburban Chicago will be a bit of a shock.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Agreed. Really none of the suburbs for that matter, but areas within Oak Park, Forest Park, or Berwyn might be the closest you're going to get suburbs wise that fits in with the commute deal, if you had to pick some suburbs over parts of the city.

While a place like Glen Ellyn or Geneva may have a "cute" little walkable area, the rest of the towns are really not going to be what they want. They're coming from living RIGHT in an urban setting, not 2 miles away from one that they can stroll around for an hour every sunday.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM

First off the OP almost certainly used "London" in the metropolitian sense. Even if they do live in one the 12 "inner boroughs" where desnity AND cost is highest the OP did not express any particular desire for something that exactly duplicates "home". If one has been "off the tourist paths" while in "London" the various subboroughs like Addington or Selhurst look a lot more like "Rosemont" or Glen Ellyn than they do like any hipster neighborhood inside the governmental limits of Chicago...

The OP will need to decide what compromises they want to make and the for their family with one partner working in suburban Itasca while the other tries to find professional employment AND childcare / schools they wouild be foolish to rule out anything that may be suitable...

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM

^ Even if they are, it doesn't matter. The title of the thread is asking about a part of the city or suburb that is like Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a very dense area of NYC, and not many census tracts in Chicago come near the density that you will see in much of Brooklyn. I'd bet money they are looking for an area that is semi dense with mixed use stuff around them and not a suburb where there's a cute little 8 square block walkable downtown with the rest of the town not being necessarily mixed use, not terribly dense, or walkable.

They will most definitely need to make a compromise in this, but at least there are some options where a few suburbs are not 100% sparse by normal American standards and you can live near some mixed use things in those suburbs. Other suburbs may have walkable areas here and there, but it's nothing compared to most of Brooklyn.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM

I think the OP has clarified that they citied Brooklyn mostly because it was their stateside frame of refernce...

Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think the OP has clarified that they citied Brooklyn mostly because it was there only frame of refernce...
What's your point? Yes, it's a frame of reference because it's something for what they want. The title of the thread is "Chicago neighborhood or suburb like Brooklyn?" One of the first things they say is:

Quote:
We currently live in London but previously lived in Brooklyn and would like to find something similar in Chicago or Chicagoland
Then

Quote:
We also like walking to local shops and restaurants, like older homes, and enjoy a good farmers market.
They never said anything about just stating where they lived to state it. She specifically mentioned it as "hey we want to live in an area like you'd find in Brooklyn."

While there are walkable areas of various suburbs around the area, it's misleading to make them believe that they can live anywhere in these suburbs and have stores at the end of their block or be within a 5 minute walk of stores no matter where they live in that suburb. Some are better than others about it, but there are many that do not offer that and only offer some small walkable downtown that is away from the average number of homes in said suburb. They should be aware that if they pick the suburbs, that they should do their research for what the specific area is like around the homes/buildings they're looking at.

When people say "we like walking to shops, restaurants, etc", many times they mean they want to walk there from their homes, not necessarily drive 2 miles to an area and THEN stroll around. That doesn't mean that most of the city/town is walkable. It means that part of it is, but not everywhere (or in many cases, not most of the location).

Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Default Chill my man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissagrayce View Post
Correct - thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like we need a walkable suburb close to Itasca. So far I've read recommendations for Glenn Ellyn, Oak Park and Forest Park. Are there others we should consider? Schools will eventually be important.
I am going off what the OP has added to the thread.

You make it sound like Darth is using the dark force to choke young Luke here or something...

If they want to be walkably close to Farmers Market in Glen Ellyn, Western Springs, Hinsdale or Elmhurst that can be achieved. And they will have excellent Metra service to potential job in Loop and easy drive for partner to Itasca.

If they want to be walkably close to Wicker Park / Bucktown farmers market the most obvious trade off will be considerably longer drive to , and especially from Itasca.

Clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago