Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times

Advertisements

I was a long time listener to Q101 and was shocked as everyone else when they switched away from Q101 to news or whatever. Well. The alternative is back.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1292139.story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
I had never heard of Q101 (I honed in on WBEZ and WXRT when I moved to the area and have pretty much stuck with those) until it was about to switch formats a couple of years ago and everyone was freaking out about it. I tuned in to see what the hype was about. It was all mainstream 90's rock with a little mainstream modern rock mixed in-- nothing alternative about it whatsoever. I still don't understand the hype. Even if that's your favorite type of music, can't you find it just about anywhere? Maybe it's a nostalgic thing to folks who grew up around here?

Old 01-11-2014, 03:26 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
^^ Q101 started as WKQX in either 1977 or 1978 ( my memory is going) as competition to WLUP and WDAI in the album rock category . Fortunately , XRT was 24 hours a day by that time . They morphed into the "alternative" ( Nirvana, etc) in the 1990s .. Their original marketing hurrah/entry was they were commercial free for 1 month .. we were spared Pacific Stereo and Peppers commercials for 30 days ..Mitch Michaels, media tycoon, was one of the jocks when they launched .

The good 'alternative' stuff was always at the bottom of the FM dial .. even when discussing "XRT ..

Old 01-12-2014, 03:22 AM

536 posts, read 830,177 times
I listened off and on from '99 until the shutdown. Liked Mancow in the early 2000's, although I was probably one of the few that did. In the later years I liked Electra in the midday despite the last letter game, which I wasn't a fan of. She seemed to take the shutdown pretty hard. Also enjoyed Local 101.

Truth is though, this format of station is basically in tons of cities in America (It's 105.7 The Point in St. Louis for example), and it wasn't really all that unique or special, but people loved it.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
WKQX has been broadcasting on 87.7 for about 2 years now. But 87.7 is actually a TV frequency (analog channel 6) and so the station, by law, carries a video signal too. For a while they were just carrying visual traffic and weather reports on the video signal; not sure what they're carrying nowadays because they stopped their digital TV simulcast. By January of next year all remaining analog TV signals will be shut off and so 87.7 won't be available as an analog FM radio frequency any more. Cumulus, who operates 101.1, recently bought Merlin, who operates 87.7 and is leasing it to WKQX. Now that Cumulus owns Merlin and by extension bought WKQX's lease, they can move it back to 101.1. I don't know if they own WKQX outright though.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
^^ Q101 started as WKQX in either 1977 or 1978 ( my memory is going) as competition to WLUP and WDAI in the album rock category . Fortunately , XRT was 24 hours a day by that time . They morphed into the "alternative" ( Nirvana, etc) in the 1990s .. Their original marketing hurrah/entry was they were commercial free for 1 month .. we were spared Pacific Stereo and Peppers commercials for 30 days ..Mitch Michaels, media tycoon, was one of the jocks when they launched .

The good 'alternative' stuff was always at the bottom of the FM dial .. even when discussing "XRT ..
It was a real treat to listen to the radio when "less commercials" and "commercial free hours" were actually popular marketing strategies.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I had never heard of Q101 (I honed in on WBEZ and WXRT when I moved to the area and have pretty much stuck with those) until it was about to switch formats a couple of years ago and everyone was freaking out about it. I tuned in to see what the hype was about. It was all mainstream 90's rock with a little mainstream modern rock mixed in-- nothing alternative about it whatsoever. I still don't understand the hype. Even if that's your favorite type of music, can't you find it just about anywhere? Maybe it's a nostalgic thing to folks who grew up around here?
On the radio? No. Not in the Chicago area.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM

86 posts, read 159,444 times
I hope they don't bring that moronic cross between a low rent Stern and Glenn Beck Mancow back...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
I love Mancow. I used to listen to his whole show from 5a-10 during the late 90s-early 2000s

Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Oh, it was awful at the end.

What happened was "Nu-metal" really ruined rock radio in the late '90s and early 2000s.

Q101 had the really good balance of Modern Rock like Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, and Pearl Jam, mixed with Dinosaur Jr., Flaming Lips, Ween, Primus, and other kind of left of center rock, and female drive stuff like Tori Amos, Alanis Morrissette, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Veruca Salt, and Hole, mixed with some electronic type stuff like Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward, Sneaker Pimps, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, and The Chemical Brothers and Moby. They mixed some Hip-Hop stuff like The Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Eminem, and even like Ice Cube and Public Enemy and House of Pain in there.

At one point they even really started to play a lot of The Ramones, Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths and stuff like that, once they went on shuffle.

Plus, Local 101 with James Von Osdol was great too.

It really was a good station up until Fred Durst and like Linkin Park and bands like that kind of destroyed the balance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: