Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

You really have no idea about what I do on a daily basis, but thanks. Do you honestly think I have any incentive to promote Lakeview East? I own 0 property there, I own 0% of any business in the area, and I'm a resident of the Gold Coast. While I am in Lakeview East (not as much as I used to be), I'm there for a few stores and restaurants and to just walk around. I know what I see and it's a fairly diverse set of business in that area. It is different from the rest of Lakeview in my opinion and I'm not a massive fan of 75% of Lakeview.

If I suggest anywhere, it's because I am trying to help, not because I have anything to personally gain. Read other threads I comment in, and I'm not always telling people to live in that area. If I honestly wanted to promote it, it would be the ONLY area I ever suggest. There's a lot of areas in Chicago, and while you think I must be ignorant about the city, I'm not. I have seen a hell of a lot more of it than most people have, even my friends who have lived here for over two decades. I am constantly bringing up areas that these people say "where is that?" that have lived here since the 1980s. Just because I live in Gold Coast doesn't mean I only get out into the north side, core, and near west/northwest areas. One of my hobbies is actually discovering areas of town and businesses that are below the radar. To do that, you usually have to get out into areas that do not equate to Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Near North Side, Near West Side, Loop, Near South Side, Wicker Park, etc. I travel all over the world too and know from experience that the best places are not in the tourist areas and I stay away from those minus the obligatory must sees. I'd rather experience a city how most people do, not how the city wants me to or how a select few do.

Sorry Chet, but this isn't a grand conspiracy. I have zero incentive to suggest these places other than giving sound advice. I actually know the area quite well and know it is one (but not the only one) where the OP would enjoy. I honestly do not think that the West Loop area would be as good for them as LVE or Bucktown/Wicker Park. I really don't know how to spell out LVE for this couple any more clearly. You're so caught up on the fact that Johnnie's and the UC is in that area (even though there's also a rink right outside of Lakeview) that you forgot about everything else they said about their personalities. Would they be sad in the West Loop area? No, but I think they'd be happier in LVE than that.

Furthermore, they specifically state they will be here for a max of 2 years and eat out 80% of the time. While I could easily suggest areas to them like Bridgeport, Irving Park, Hyde Park, etc, I get the sense that they want to make the most out of their time here and want an area with a lot to do around them (correct me if I'm wrong OP). While the West Loop does have a number of things to do (and it will increase), I think they can do better. However, I'm not disregarding your West Loop suggestion (obviously there's a number of places to eat out there that are good, though some can be $$) - I think it's a good suggestion, but I think there are better.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-02-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,787 times
Yes, having things to do immediately around us is a desire of ours. However, traveling in the evening for fun/food is not a problem.

McFetridge looks good, but only having one adult league is a bit of a concern compared to Johnnie's 12 adult divisions.

What's the ratio of high-rise:low-rise in LVE and the UC area? What's the bar situation in each of these areas?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There are undoubtedly more high rises in Lakeview than the portion of Greek Town / West Loop that would be most convenient for the OP, the mix of resturants close to not just United Center but also the greater Fulton Market area is outstanding and arguably more interesting than the places near Lakeview, I would also suggest the the sophistication of the bars / nightspots also tends to be a bit more inline with what committed couples prefer vs the more pick-up oriented crowds that frequent Lakeview.

Knowing some poster's infatuation with the eastern portion of Lakeview I imagine they'll have some insight into how the generalization are not accurate, but hey we already talked about opinions. I might also add that had it not been for the hockey request I might have suggested Southport, but as the OP has already found out the superior offerings of Johnnies over McFetridge is undeniable...

Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmuniart View Post
What's the ratio of high-rise:low-rise in LVE and the UC area? What's the bar situation in each of these areas?
Well, the UC area is different from the West Loop. The area directly around the UC is actually very sparse (used to be built up, torn down...there's a few projects now to build back up). If you were to live in that area, you'd want to live east of Ashland Avenue, but I'd say that half way East to the interstate is better.

The West Loop is less established than LVE in terms of business and what not maybe, but there's still enough things there. A lot of the high rises and mid rises in the West Loop were built in the last decade which is one reason why the average rent is more expensive there. There is something called Restaurant Row which is on Randolph St which has some great restaurants on it. There are bars and stuff in the area, but I wouldn't say there's loads of them that are hopping like other areas of town. There are definitely some but not as many as others. Again though, the area around UC is very sparse, so look east of it. Just a little south of the restaurant area is Greektown. It's small but has some great food as well.

Lakeview East, I look at as more established because the success of the business currently there is probably older (and serves more people). In any case, the building stock on average for an apartment or condo building is older, but with the condos there may be many that are redone. As far as high rises go, you'll have better luck finding a 1 bedroom in your budget in Lakeview. If you want to live in a newer high rise in West Loop, you'll probably have to get a studio or convertible. While West Loop has some great restaurants, I find the restaurants in LVE more tangible. They are not usually hole in the walls or anything (there are some though), but the average price point is lower. Of course you can find that in West Loop too, but there's also more than 1 place where you can easily spend $100/person for dinner. The restaurants in West Loop are fairly diverse but again I find LVE a little more diverse than that. You have LVE which is pretty laid back and diverse in its business, then next to it is Boystown which is the gay area of town (not everything is gay there of course) and then right next to that is Wrigleyville which is sports central and this is all within a 5-10 minute walk of each other east-west.

The building stock in LVE is high rise along the lake and low rise everywhere else. Lakeview East is right on the lake, and as I mentioned before - Lincoln Park which is a very big park. There's also a harbor there and the lakefront trail, which is an 18 mile long running/bike path that almost runs the entire distance of the lakefront in Chicago and also connects pretty much all the beaches together.

From a pure street vibrancy part, LVE wins. General sports environment? I would still say right outside of LVE in Wrigleyville wins. Did you ever see the aerial photos of Chicago after it won the Stanley Cup and there were **** loads of people in the street? That was Wrigleyville.

West Loop is one of those in progress places basically. It's already decent but in 5-10 years it could be pretty big. They're currently building a few large-ish high rises there, Google is moving their operations there in a few years, some new restaurants opening up, some new hotels, etc. Definitely a place to watch in the next 5-10 years.

If you want to see video of either, then these are good. A few years old, and the Lakeview one is for all of Lakeview while Near West Side is for not just West Loop

Lakeview -
Lakeview, Chicago - YouTube
Near West Side -
Near West Side, Chicago - YouTube

Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
the mix of resturants close to not just United Center but also the greater Fulton Market area is outstanding and arguably more interesting than the places near Lakeview, I would also suggest the the sophistication of the bars / nightspots also tends to be a bit more inline with what committed couples prefer vs the more pick-up oriented crowds that frequent Lakeview.
First off, the restaurants on Restaurant Row are great, but if you honestly think there's more restaurants in that area than in Lakeview East, then you're severely mistaken. Broadway is basically lined full of food options between Diversey and Irving Park Road, and that's not counting Halsted or Clark very close by.

The OP can see this for themselves. If you don't see a lot of dots for either of these maps, then your browser may be broken (try a different one):

Search for "food"
* Lakeview area - http://goo.gl/maps/kuFJd
* West Loop/UC area - http://goo.gl/maps/NOojS

Search for "bar"
* Lakeview area - http://goo.gl/maps/79gwk
* West Loop/UC area - http://goo.gl/maps/iMjl5

Do you want me to list the different types of cuisines available in Lakeview East now?

I mostly agree with the part about the bars in West Loop area being more sophisticated on average, that's true. The restaurants also (though LVE has some more sophisticated options such as Senza, Bar Pastoral, Ping Pong, etc and a few places such as Wood in Boystown). West Loop is more of the place that a famous restauranteur or someone who worked in a restaurant that earned a Michelin star would open up a new place (though Lakeview has some of those - the guy behind Wood worked at Alinea for awhile).

Quote:
Knowing some poster's infatuation with the eastern portion of Lakeview I imagine they'll have some insight into how the generalization are not accurate, but hey we already talked about opinions. I might also add that had it not been for the hockey request I might have suggested Southport, but as the OP has already found out the superior offerings of Johnnies over McFetridge is undeniable...
Infatuation? No, I'm not infatuated with it. Don't you think if I was, I'd be living there already? Last time I checked, I'm still in the Gold Coast paying a few hundred dollars more per month on average than Lakeview. In fact, my next move will be to the greater UK/East Village, Wicker Park, etc greater area or possibly around Chinatown. Please spare me the bull**** and stay in the suburbs or talk about things you actually know about and don't act like you know about things you don't.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-02-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Chet, do you seriously think you aten't biased? Hell, I freely admit I am, pretending people aren't biased is far more ridiculous IMO than having a preference and being willing to explain it. For most halfway desirable neighborhoods there are tradeoffs and downsides, I don't ever see Marothisu promoting any viewpoints that aren't well within the bounds of reason.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 AM

I try to match the desires of folks relocating with the various options that city neighborhoods offer -- I recommend places like the South Loop and Medical Center District more than just about anybody else on these boards becuase they continue to offer really good values, great access to Loop and other employment as well as other pluses due to the massive public spending. Places that offer low priced chicken wings or late night burritos & hot dogs to intoxicated patrons really don't even register on my radar as resturants. That said I have no problem recommending areas to the west that still have an abundnance of friendly family owned diners / breakfast & sandwich spots alongside more ambitious resturants that range from true white table cloth places to more casual places where the convival atmosphere contributes to the neghborhood's feel. Similarly I tend to weigh value and access to employment much higher than access to dozens of bars -- especially for folks moving as a couple those bars more often than not are filled with people that are about as disconnected from Chicago as one can be in places like Wrigleyville... I similarly rarely recommend places like Streeterville or the Gold Coast as both have a long history of being rather sterile.

In short I prefer places that have a nice spectrum of dining and nightlife over places that overemphasize narrow aspects -- even when it comes to areas that are still developing I hesitate to recomend Uptown as it has such a strong divide between its former history of meth clinics, the more recent success of Asian owned busienesses and the rather current push to make it into a more typical post college destination. Sure it remains a bargain compared to River North, Southport or Roscoe Village but odds are long that it ever really rivals those areas for appeal. I suppose if one is renting it is easy enough to move but I also know that the convenience, safety, and overall livability of where relo folks first end up has a huge impact on their satisfaction.

I also try to really think of the day-to-day lifestyle that folks relocating are likely to have -- in my experience it is often easier to explore more of an area if you move to an area that attracts fewer tourists.

In regards to the OP I don't doubt that they could spend less in an older builder in Lakeview than a newer place near United Center but given their list of desires, the fact they are a couple, their specific work location (and the ease of hoping on just one bus to rather quickly get down Madison and up to the BCBS/Prudential/Aon buildings...) I think they should focus on that area even if it means raising their budget a little to avoid the day-to-day hassles of a car and still enjoy the activities they listed...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM

I, as well, try to match desires of relocating peoples. In the end, I have nothing to gain by telling anybody to move to any particular location in town. However, as a resident of this city who does experience a decent number of areas around it, I feel as if I have a good grasp on numerous areas, not just a few. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the West Loop, but as far as their needs go, LVE is better. Sure, Johnnie's Ice House may have more people playing at it than McFetridge, but on pure life things they mentioned.

Now, here is where I know you do not know Lakeview East very much. You specify that you focus on things that have a nice spectrum and not narrow. So do I. Lakeview East in its businesses have just as wide, if not a wider spectrum, than the West Loop. Most people who aren't familiar with this particular area think of Lakeview and would think it's just like Wrigleyville. This is just not true. Lakeview East has a wide variety of cuisines available and also businesses. I'll demonstrate:

* Turkish - Troy Mediterranean Grill - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Senem's Coffee & Tea House - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Efes Cafe - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Moroccan - Casbah Cafe - Lakeview - Chicago, IL | Yelp
* Brazilian - Brazilian Bowl - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Mexican - Chilam Balam - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, El Mariachi - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Cuban - Sabor Cubano - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Greek - Melanthios Greek Char House - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Japanese/Sushi - Hiro's Cafe - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, New Tokyo - Lakeview - Chicago, IL | Yelp, Wakamono - Lakeview - Chicago, IL | Yelp, Jai-Yen - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Kanok - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Thai - Red Pig Asian Kitchen - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Joy's Noodles & Rice - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Vietnamese - Bánh Mì & Co. - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Nhu Lan - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Korean American Fusion - Crisp - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Chinese - Ping Pong - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Indian - Bombay Bliss - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Cafes - LooseLeaf Lounge - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Senem's from above, Intelligentsia Coffee - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, The Flower Flat - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Refined New American - Senza - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Frog n Snail - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Bar Pastoral - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* French/Cheese - Pastoral - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* American/Diner - Ann Sather - Lakeview - Chicago, IL (Scandanavian too), Melrose Restaurant - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Stella's Diner - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Italian/Pizza - Angelina Ristorante - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Mista - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Pie Hole Pizza Joint - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Jewish/Deli - The Bagel Restaurant & Deli - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Breweries - Dryhop Brewers - Lakeview - Chicago, IL | Yelp
* BBQ - Milt's BBQ for the Perplexed - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Wrigley BBQ - Lakeview - Chicago, IL | Yelp
* Ice Cream/Gelato/Sweets - Bobtail Ice Cream Company - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Windy City Sweets - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Paciugo Broadway - Lakeview - Chicago, IL
* Coffee/Tea Merchants - The Coffee & Tea Exchange - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Coffee Tree & Tea Leaves - Lakeview - Chicago, IL

Not to mention other businesses such as Record Stores (Reckless Records - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Borderline Music - Lakeview - Chicago, IL | Yelp), Book Stores (Unabridged Books - Lakeview - Chicago, IL, Booklegger's Used Books - Lakeview - Chicago, IL), Comic Books (Graham Crackers Comics - Lakeview - Chicago, IL), Comedy Clubs (Laugh Factory Chicago - Lakeview - Chicago, IL), Hookah (House of Hookah - Lakeview - Chicago, IL), Music Venues (Hot House - Lakeview - Chicago, IL), Grocery Stores (Jewel-Osco, Treasure Island, Walmart Express), Convenience Stores (Walgreens), Clothing (Cram Fashion - Lakeview - Chicago, IL), Consignment (Elliott Consignment - Lakeview - Chicago, IL), etc

This is just between Broadway and the lake, and there's more not mentioned. This isn't even counting nearby Halsted, Clark, Diversey, Addison, etc. which have just as much and in areas have a variety (How about some African food on Clark just a few blocks north of Belmont, for example (Bolat)?). All the sports bars not far away in Wrigleyville, Wrigley Field right there, Boystown with a bunch of other options (not all gay oriented, with other entertainment such as Blue Man Group at Briar Street Theatre), etc.

As far as location goes, part of the West loop lines up north-side wise with where the OP will be working and LVE lines up with it East-West wise. There are buses that run express along Lake Shore Drive to the Aon Center/Lakeshore East area (and some that run to north Michigan Avenue). It's just as easy to get from LVE to that area as it is from the West Loop.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-03-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the links, you want to do the same for the West Loop, it would only be fair

Honestly there are no shortages in any of the categories -- from places like Sawtooth or Joy Yee that run the spectrum of upscale Vietnamese to more homestyle Pan Asian to old school deli's like Manny's to hipper artisanal cheese & sausage like Pastoral to the Italian classics along Taylor the wide range of places near Randolph or Halsted you'd have to be a fool to suggest there is any shortage of eating spots to serve folks contemplating somethingn near United Center...

Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Thanks for the links, you want to do the same for the West Loop, it would only be fair

Honestly there are no shortages in any of the categories -- from places like Sawtooth or Joy Yee that run the spectrum of upscale Vietnamese to more homestyle Pan Asian to old school deli's like Manny's to hipper artisanal cheese & sausage like Pastoral to the Italian classics along Taylor the wide range of places near Randolph or Halsted you'd have to be a fool to suggest there is any shortage of eating spots to serve folks contemplating somethingn near United Center...
Sure, after I eat my lunch I will do it.

I like the West Loop, and there's great restaurants there, but there is not as great a variety there as there is in the East Lakeview part. I never said there wasn't a great variety in the West Loop. Big difference between a general statement and a comparative one. I'm saying there isn't as much variety. If you include Wrigleyville (which actually has more on the southern edge than you'd think - Korean and two unique Asian places (one Tapas and another street food) have opened up there recently) and Boystown then forget about it.

No, neither area is bad, but the amount of options present in Lakeview, especially the eastern half of it, is actually quite ridiculous and most people who don't know this area would be very surprised by it.

You are also including areas like University Village in this (i.e. your reference of Joy Yee). Follow all of my links and almost all of them are exclusively on Broadway (two are not, but they are very close to it, east of Broadway, not west), nowhere else. This would be the equivalent of me picking Randolph and Lake, and showing you what's there, and nowhere else. I could have easily included even more stuff on Clark, Addison, Diversey, Belmont, Halsted, etc and that would have put it over the edge, but I chose not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago