Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 04:41 PM

66 posts, read 104,007 times

Advertisements

Weird question (kind of), but I'm looking for a place that has a great view of the city that's kind of off the beaten path. Hyde Park beach (if that's what it's called) is sort of what I'm talking about, but it's kind of far. Obviously, I know about the Skydeck, but I'm looking for something a bit more secluded.

I'm from a place where there are a BUNCH of little nooks around the city that you can pour a glass of wine and enjoy the view of the city. I know Chicago has these areas! Any help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 05:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
If you want a view of downtown, but not in downtown, then I'd look at areas west of the downtown area, say in like the West Loop (across from the freeway though), Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village/East Village/Noble Square area for example. There are some areas north and also south of that.

Two that I can think of off the top of my head would be Market's rooftop in the West Loop area and J. Parker's rooftop in Lincoln Park. Also, Citizen Bar in River North is far enough west where, at least as I remember it last time I was there (2 years ago), you could get a kind of unobstructed view of the skyline looking east and only less than a half mile away from where they densely are.

Otherwise, it definitely pays to know someone who owns or rents a place in these areas with access to either their roof for low rise or a balcony or roof for high rise.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 PM

229 posts, read 469,174 times
The best view of the city is from the shore line between the Shed Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium

Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post
Weird question (kind of), but I'm looking for a place that has a great view of the city that's kind of off the beaten path. Hyde Park beach (if that's what it's called) is sort of what I'm talking about, but it's kind of far. Obviously, I know about the Skydeck, but I'm looking for something a bit more secluded.

I'm from a place where there are a BUNCH of little nooks around the city that you can pour a glass of wine and enjoy the view of the city. I know Chicago has these areas! Any help??
Hmm, towns like Pittsburgh have dramatic changes in elevation along the three rivers that come together so that lots of majestic views are possible from many different areas. In contrast Chicago has extremely limited variations in grade so it is all but impossible to get any kind of "vista" except when situatated in an area where the waterfront serves as a low foreground to frame a view.

The Park District does rent out a few facilities on the southern lakefront to catering / resturant firms but the degree to which these are places to enjoy is largely a function of season -- not a whole lot of activity outside of summer.

Of course since the OP knows Chicago has these spots not really sure what help is needed ...

Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 PM

498 posts, read 977,880 times
If you take Fullerton and follow it all the way to the lake, there's some park benches in a little grassy area. With the angle of the viewing area you can see the city lights over the lake, it's really beautiful on a good night. I live in that area, it's one of the nicest views I've seen.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
For non business places, Montrose Beach/Harbor has a small view of the north side of the skyline. You can get a closer one from North Ave beach too.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Yeah, for easy to get to views the areas around either the Adler or Montrose beach are your best bets. Any booze cruise out of Navy Pier will work as well.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hmm, towns like Pittsburgh have dramatic changes in elevation along the three rivers that come together so that lots of majestic views are possible from many different areas. In contrast Chicago has extremely limited variations in grade so it is all but impossible to get any kind of "vista" except when situatated in an area where the waterfront serves as a low foreground to frame a view.

The Park District does rent out a few facilities on the southern lakefront to catering / resturant firms but the degree to which these are places to enjoy is largely a function of season -- not a whole lot of activity outside of summer.

Of course since the OP knows Chicago has these spots not really sure what help is needed ...
Haha, you know what I mean. I'm sure I've been missing out. Looks like I have. And you're right about the changes in elevation in Pittsburgh, I didn't take that into account............

Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 AM

Thanks everyone who chimed in. It sounds like I have a few places to start with..

Old 12-01-2013, 01:22 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
If you go up to Evanston and head east on the NU campus near the lagoon/lakefill area, there's a beautiful North-South vista of the city. It's especially nice to take in on a clear day and sit on the rocks by the lake. Unfortunately, if it's hazy, it can be much harder to see.

Also, there's this nice little cafe on Granville called the Waterfront Cafe. The have live music, food, and drinks all summer long as well as outdoor seating. You can get the same sort of vista (although not as good) as you would get in Evanston, and you can have a drink while doing it . Of course, these are just the narrow North-South vistas, so you don't get the dramatic effect of the full skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago