Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 21,251 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm relocating to Chicago within the next 4-6 weeks. I've been out there on weekends searching for homes for the past 8 weeks. We've narrowed it down to a couple of areas but are seriously considering a place in Lakeview. It's in the Boystown area. We are a heterosexual couple, early 30s. We've spent a good deal of time in the area on the weekends at all different times of the day and night (not past 11-12 pm though) and we have felt very safe. We also really like the area and all of the entertainment and shopping options being so close.
I've been reading these boards for a while and am becoming somewhat concerned with safety in the area. We are moving from NYC so we're not strangers to having to be smart no matter where you are. However, it seems like there has been a lot of crime and now I am seeing that there is some gang territory on Belmont close to where we would both need to take the train to the Loop for work.
Is the crime really getting that much worse and is the gang territory an active gang area? We have actually walked right through there several times without realizing it's gang territory. I appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
There are some who will tell you that the Boystown area is turning into some crime hot spot but honestly - not true. Yes, there's an increase of crime, but a lot of the crime is basically people taking advantage of drunk people. There's tons of people out in that area all the time. Just practice typical urban awareness, not being an idiot when drunk at 4am, etc and you should be fine in my opinion.

The whole area is a big nightlife area and people from all over come to it. If you look at the crime statistics for that area, the majority of it is between 1am and 5am, and I'd almost guarantee that many (not all) victims are drunk. I remember in May when my Aunt, Uncle, and their friends were in town and we went to eat near Belmont. Some guys who acted like they were in a gang started talking to us and acting kind of strange around us and really random in their actions. They started talking to my aunt and she was laughing with them instead of acting scared. We left, nothing happened to us. They even started hitting on my Aunt at the end, but in a non creepy way.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Wow. This has to be record for rationalization / patronization -- OP states that they have concerns over gang activity and the magic of Maro comes up with this beaut: guys acting like they were in a gang , kind of strange and really random, aunt laughs with them and they begin hitting on aunt but in non- creepy way. Words of wisdom...

If the OP is uncomfortable with the perceived risk to themself / their spouse it would be wise to find a safer area. Period.

Look at the data available in he CPD crime map.

Last edited by chet everett; 11-25-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Newbie View Post
Hi, i'm relocating to Chicago within the next 4-6 weeks. I've been out there on weekends searching for homes for the past 8 weeks. We've narrowed it down to a couple of areas but are seriously considering a place in Lakeview. It's in the Boystown area. We are a heterosexual couple, early 30s. We've spent a good deal of time in the area on the weekends at all different times of the day and night (not past 11-12 pm though) and we have felt very safe. We also really like the area and all of the entertainment and shopping options being so close.
I've been reading these boards for a while and am becoming somewhat concerned with safety in the area. We are moving from NYC so we're not strangers to having to be smart no matter where you are. However, it seems like there has been a lot of crime and now I am seeing that there is some gang territory on Belmont close to where we would both need to take the train to the Loop for work.
Is the crime really getting that much worse and is the gang territory an active gang area? We have actually walked right through there several times without realizing it's gang territory. I appreciate any insight. Thanks!
The crime that's gone up has primarily been muggings late at night on and near Halsted (Boystown) and Clark (Wrigleyville). The victims are typically drunk patrons leaving the bars. As for say homicides, not a single person has been killed in Lakeview this year. In 2012 three people were killed in the neighborhood, and there's some 95,000 people living in the neighborhood.

As for the gang area, I've been over there plenty of times (usually to go to a get together at a friend's, to go out, etc), and have never had a problem. I've also never used the Belmont stop and had any issue. I also have two female friends in their early 20s who live in the claimed area, and they haven't had any issues either.

If you're still concerned about the Belmont area, but still wish to live in Lakeview, then might I suggest some place closer to the Addison redline? You'll be getting virtually the same amenities, and still be a 10 minute or so walk away from the amenities off Belmont that you liked. I personally live near the Addison stop, and I love it.

PS: This article details the area that is claimed by a gang, if you're interested:
Gang Map Shows Lake View is Home to

Old 11-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wow. This has to be record for rationalization / patronization -- OP states that they have concerns over gang activity and the magic of Maro comes up with this beaut: guys acting like they were in a gang , kind of strange and really random, aunt laughs with them and they begin hitting on aunt but in non- creepy way. Words of wisdom...

If the OP is uncomfortable with the perceived risk to themself / their spouse it would be wise to find a safer area. Period.

Look at the data available in he CPD crime map.
Don't get your panties in a bunch, Chet - it was a story and perhaps I didn't explain it as well as I should have. Yes, we laughed with them because they got actually funny with us after a little bit. The beginning exchange was rather awkward, that was all. Sorry if I didn't explain it as well as I should have.

In any case, why do you always take away the absolute least important parts of every person's messages? It's always hilarious to me, as if you like to hear yourself talk so much you have to comment about anything like you're desperate. Yes, you can look at the crime map, except looking at the map doesn't tell you the whole story. Look at the timestamps for each and filter by primary crime type. Any sort of "serious" crime happens majorly in the early hours of the morning or late at night closer to midnight. The general district is 19. I believe Boystown is beat 1924

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Publi...sent/ijzp-q8t2

Last edited by marothisu; 11-25-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 PM

There have been lots of reported crimes in the hours of from 6PM thru 11PM too -- " + theTitle + "

The point ought not to be try to downplay these things as many of the reported larceny incidents have in fact involved people's homes / cars being broken into, there is argument to made that the "entertainment district patrols" have actually resulted in FEWER patrols in residential areas -- the CPD admits that they have NOT added officers just "redeplpyed"...

Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 PM

You're right, there are crimes that happen around 10:30pm and on as well. Crime could happen at any point, but in this area, you're more susceptible to crime late at night (yes, 10pm - 5am probably) and I'd bet you anything the people being targeted are not usually sober at this time. I used to spend a lot of time in this area, including many late nights. Never had a problem. Not saying there won't be any - of course there will be, but know your surroundings and you should be OK. There are thousands upon thousands of people in this area every weekend who don't live there and it's a destination nightlife area. If it was extremely dangerous, I think you'd see a cut off in some of those numbers.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM

725 posts, read 3,016,586 times
I don't really think it's appropriate to blame the victims, regardless of whether or not they are inebriated. (and anyway, part of the convenience of living in Boystown or Wrigley is so that you can walk back home from the bars, right?)

These muggers are going to target anyone they see fit. A mom with a stroller, a drunk guy, a student walking home from the train, some yuppie on his phone. It doesn't matter. Blame the criminals - not the victims. And just to note, crime can and does happen in any and every neighborhood.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,578,653 times
so glad I don't have to worry about muggers in uptown

Old 11-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Default Very good analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I don't really think it's appropriate to blame the victims, regardless of whether or not they are inebriated. (and anyway, part of the convenience of living in Boystown or Wrigley is so that you can walk back home from the bars, right?)

These muggers are going to target anyone they see fit. A mom with a stroller, a drunk guy, a student walking home from the train, some yuppie on his phone. It doesn't matter. Blame the criminals - not the victims. And just to note, crime can and does happen in any and every neighborhood.
The same folks that are trying to brush off the threat posed to folks leaving Lakeview's bars and nightspots also seem content to blame kids whose parents did not exhaust every possible avenue for tracking down a seat in a selective admisions CPS program, tell motorists to suck-it-up over the city's ludacris parking situation and likewise tell displaced families that Sec 8 vouchers and WIC are better than having a job and having a real home.

The ability of hand wavers to dismiss any concerns that perhaps Emperor Rahm is in fact terrible steward of Chicago and that perhaps folks should vote for a real leader make me wonder if their love of Chicago is not in fact part of their job - some professional PR person trying to reassure everyone that Chicago is safe as can be and utterly wonderful would be right in the wheel house of someone that has been a master of "message" and an incompetant failure at anything other than self promotion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago