Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 PM

34 posts, read 123,525 times

Advertisements

i am planning on taking vacation in Chicago in a few years. Please give me some input on where I should go OR the best time of the year to go! Chicago is the third most visited city in America, that's very good! And could anyone tell me if there are dinner cruises around Lake Michigan? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 02:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
That's going to depend an awful lot on your budget, interest and length of stay. You can always do the standard tourist-y stuff like visiting the major museums, checking out the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Avenue, taking an architecture tour on the river, eating at downtown restaurants, etc. Is there something in particular you like to see in whatever city you're traveling to? The nicest residential areas? The night clubs? Brewpubs? Wine bars? Community theaters? Neighborhood restaurants? Comedy clubs? Street festivals? Major festivals?

And yes, there are dinner cruises on the lake.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 PM

34 posts, read 123,525 times
WOW didn'tk now it had all that! I think I would like everything, but I am not rich so can't do that. I would like to see the museums, and I really would like to look at lake michigan. What is the best time of the year to go do all those things?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I'd say the best time would be June. That's when the lakeshore area comes alive but it's not uncomfortably hot yet. I gotta be honest, I don't know that there's anything terribly special about the lake. It's basically like looking out over the ocean only the beaches and waves are smaller and the water smells different.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Don't miss the Museum of Science And Industry. One of Chicagos hidden gems!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:42 PM

356 posts, read 542,478 times
nothing shy about Chicago --it's Chi town not shy town

Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Just remember this is just like the eastern cities weather wise. Winter can really be a crap shoot, you never know what you are going to get, April-June can be either nice or moderately nice, June-Sept are typically the best weather wise but can get very hot and sticky kind of like Orlando in May or June, Sept-Nov are mild-cool with lots of cloudy weather streaks but we do still get sunny days mixed in too.

If you are planning on doing a lot of swimming in the lake then dont come here until about August as the water is like ice and takes months to warm up to tollerable levels, if you like cold and grey skies then come here ooooohhhhhh, NOW. If you are looking for lots of color as far as trees changing then come here in Oct, and for lots of tulips and flowering trees then April and May are your best bets.

Also like our eastern neighboring cities like NYC and Boston, miles and miles away, just because winter rolls in by no means does this mean that the city shuts down, instead it just changes in terms of what there is to do. Winter months in Chicago typically bring about more indoor activities such as going to museums, shopping, dining, going to nightclubs, whereas during the summer you will see more outdoor activities going on like people running the trails and bike riding, the food fests are going on, tanning on the beaches, etc.

If you are looking for something to do during the Christmas season Chicago is great for that too as it is a very festive city proving that by putting up litterally millions of Christmas lights along many of it's streets and wreaths on many of it's light poles.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
nothing shy about Chicago --it's Chi town not shy town
personally, i cringe everytime someone say "chitown"..its a nickname outsiders use, you'll never hear someone in the city say that

Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
personally, i cringe everytime someone say "chitown"..its a nickname outsiders use, you'll never hear someone in the city say that
I agree. Thats the dumbest nickname the city has. In fact, I think there should be a fine to anyone that says that. Why not, Joliet can issue a $5 fine to anyone who pronounces the city "Jolly-et" instead of "Joel-e-et". Seriously, look it up if you dont believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago