Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 9,630 times

Advertisements

Hi all!! I have been to Chicago once a long time ago, but I loved it! I can't wait to go back. We are going to be there 3 nights. We get in at like 4:30 on Friday, stay Fri, Sat, & Sun. We have Cubs tickets for Sunday afternoon. What else should we do?? I am so looking forward to it and want to show my boyfriend what a GREAT city we're visiting!! So things I'm looking for -- best restaurants (one not so expensive and one really nice), places we need to see, etc. We like to go out, so a couple of really cool bars we shouldn't miss would be great too!!! Need something for Fri night, Saturday day, Sat night, and Sun after the Cubs. Also we have time for lunch Monday. I appreciate your replies!!!! I am pumped!!!! (August trip)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Cool!! I just found that one on Fodor's and was thinking it sounded like a winner! Thanks!!! Anyone else other thoughts?? A great hole-in-the-wall is a requirement too!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggieGirl View Post
Cool!! I just found that one on Fodor's and was thinking it sounded like a winner! Thanks!!! Anyone else other thoughts?? A great hole-in-the-wall is a requirement too!
Alinea isn't just "called the best by many in the city" it's considered in the top 20 in the world by multiple sources. It is extremely difficult to get reservations in.

If you can't get a reservation at Alinea, here are the very-high-end restaurants I recommend you consider, in my personal preference of order. Depending on what you order and whether you have wine, all of these can run you between $125 and $300 per person

1) Ria
2) L2O
3) Moto
4) Everest

Other places that are still really nice:

1) Naha
2) Graham Elliot
3) Prosecco
4) Blackbird
5) Tru
6) Topolobampo
7) Sepia

"Hole in the wall" places:

1) La Scarola
2) La Luce
3) Cafe Central
4) Casbah Cafe
5) Lula Cafe

Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 PM

132 posts, read 242,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

"Hole in the wall" places:

1) La Scarola
2) La Luce
3) Cafe Central
4) Casbah Cafe
5) Lula Cafe
TexasAGGIEGirl, these hole in the wall places might be good, but they aren't going to beat the Dixie Chicken Just had to say "HI", I'm a former Aggie and have many fond memories of The Chicken, and some I'm probably can't really remember that well

Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
If you like comedy and have the time, see Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind by the Neofuturists on the north side. It is truly unique to Chicago though it now has performances elsewhere. It, like, Second City started here. It's also still inexpensive.

Neo-Futurists - TMLMTBGB (http://www.neofuturists.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemi d=45 - broken link)

All shows will be performed at The Neo-Futurarium, 5153 N. Ashland @ Foster. Click here for directions and a map. Tickets are $9 + the roll of a single six-sided die ($10 - $15, depending on your luck!)

Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
If you like comedy theater and want a unique Chicago experience, take in Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind at the Neofuturian

Neo-Futurists - TMLMTBGB (http://www.neofuturists.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemi d=45 - broken link)

It's inexpensive and fun and uniquely Chicago, though it now has performances in other cities too.

All shows will be performed at The Neo-Futurarium, 5153 N. Ashland @ Foster. Click here for directions and a map. Tickets are $9 + the roll of a single six-sided die ($10 - $15, depending on your luck!)

Old 07-04-2011, 05:26 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,993,092 times
Check out LTH forum for great restaurant discussions. LTHForum.com • Index page.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Wood View Post
TexasAGGIEGirl, these hole in the wall places might be good, but they aren't going to beat the Dixie Chicken Just had to say "HI", I'm a former Aggie and have many fond memories of The Chicken, and some I'm probably can't really remember that well

LOVE it! Lol. No place quite like the chicken.

Thanks all for the thoughts!!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,560 times
When you are rummaging around dowtown, don't forget to get an italian beef - hot, dipped, w/ side of cheese sauce. I'm pretty partial to Luke's on Jackson, but Al's or Portillo's are really good too. There are so many good food choices to eat, don't forget to eat one of the staples of Chicago.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM

278 posts, read 636,894 times
Take him to lou Malnati's for some true Chicago deep dish pizza. If you want an interesting cocktail experience check out violet hour in wicker park. It's beautiil and elegant but at the same time I found it pretentious and elitist but still crazy. for a crazy party scene stick around wrigleyville after the cubs game and go to one of the dozens of bars nearby. Rent bikes from one of themmany places and ride south down the lake front trail. Absolutely beautiful experience. Those are just a couple ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago