Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 14,610 times

Advertisements

A little background on me:

I'm a 25 year old guy, will bring in 74k next year, get reimbursed $400/month for gas, possibility of a $400/month bonus every month exists. However, I have 6 figure student loan debt and pay $1100/month in interest. I have to save as much as I can while living as well as I can.

I have a car and I absolutely need it because on M-W, I drive 30 miles to get to work (oil refinery) and on Th/F I drive 35 miles to get to work (Naperville). I also make semi monthly trips home (300 miles away).

I'm Indian but grew up here so I'm looking for places where there's a decent Indian population (I'm not talking about older folks, but people my age, young professionals). Trying to find a girl to settle down with, not going with the arranged marriage option. Basically, I'm looking for a place that is multicultural.

I decided to stick with a budget of $1200 along with covered parking - this leaves me $1000 for rent which I admit, isn't much in Chicago. So far all I've been finding are studios, and I'm fine with that.

My first instinct was to look in lakeview - it seems more multicultural than Lincoln Park. I work out in Lincoln Park and I hardly ever see minorities around the area, and also I don't want to be around college students.

I currently live in Edgewater but I hate it here.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,997,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman7601 View Post

I decided to stick with a budget of $1200 along with covered parking - this leaves me $1000 for rent which I admit, isn't much in Chicago. So far all I've been finding are studios, and I'm fine with that.
First of all, $1000/month is enough if you're looking at Chicago as a whole, The thing here is that you are looking at the settled areas.

Quote:
My first instinct was to look in lakeview - it seems more multicultural than Lincoln Park. I work out in Lincoln Park and I hardly ever see minorities around the area, and also I don't want to be around college students.

I currently live in Edgewater but I hate it here.
Yes, Lakeview is more multi cultural than Lincoln Park. The commute from the north side to Naperville though? Yeah that sucks. Try not to do that? Where is the oil refinery - SE Illinois/NW Indiana? I'd say if you absolutely want to live in Chicago and want to be around some other Indians, then maybe West Loop. Presidential Towers has a number of Indians living there according to my Indian friend who lives there. I doubt you can get a high rise for $1000/month there unless it's a studio, but maybe one of the lower rise ones? You might want to check it out. Or maybe something where like East Village/Ukrainian Village/Noble Square, which I doubt has a bunch of Indians in it, but it's a little diverse and close enough to the West Loop. You probably won't get covered parking there but you never know.

At least then you're on I-290 and you don't have to subject yourself to the Kennedy too. Otherwise, I'd say to look in some of the suburbs to be honest with you if being around other Indians is that important to you. If that's the case then I'd ask the suburbs forum.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
First of all, $1000/month is enough if you're looking at Chicago as a whole, The thing here is that you are looking at the settled areas.

Yes, Lakeview is more multi cultural than Lincoln Park. The commute from the north side to Naperville though? Yeah that sucks. Try not to do that? Where is the oil refinery - SE Illinois/NW Indiana? I'd say if you absolutely want to live in Chicago and want to be around some other Indians, then maybe West Loop. Presidential Towers has a number of Indians living there according to my Indian friend who lives there. I doubt you can get a high rise for $1000/month there unless it's a studio, but maybe one of the lower rise ones? You might want to check it out. Or maybe something where like East Village/Ukrainian Village/Noble Square, which I doubt has a bunch of Indians in it, but it's a little diverse and close enough to the West Loop. You probably won't get covered parking there but you never know.

At least then you're on I-290 and you don't have to subject yourself to the Kennedy too. Otherwise, I'd say to look in some of the suburbs to be honest with you if being around other Indians is that important to you. If that's the case then I'd ask the suburbs forum.
I'm fine with the commute, it's not a big deal to me.

That said, I'm not looking for a huge indian community - I've lived here since I was 3 and get along with just about anyone. I'm just looking for areas where I'd find young professionals. I'm absolutely not looking for a place like presidential towers which is filled with older indians that just came to the country.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM

If you're okay with that commute (yuck), then yeah Lakeview is one area, specifically Lakeview East between about Diversey and Grace or Irving Park Rd, but personally I find the people who at least frequent and live in an area like Wicker Park to be more diverse than Lakeview.

The Near North Side, at least River North and parts of the Streeterville Gold Coast are too, but there's nothing you can afford there unless you want a studio and even then, $1000/month would be pushing it for Gold Coast (though my friend in Gold Coast has a studio for under $900/month). If you want to be around Wicker Park, then look there, or else for lower costs look at Ukrainian Village/East Village/Noble Square or Logan Square.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM

The other option I was considering is moving back to Naperville - I already lived there for a year and it was torture, but I never really went out to socialize. Gave up a couple months in and was a hermit.

Now I'm thinking, if I went back to Naperville, I would save a ton of money, and perhaps I could commute into the city on Fridays/Weekends to have fun?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Yeah that's the other thing is the fact that you have a large debt and high interest charged per month. Not all suburbs are drastically cheaper though if you rent on your own. Yeah you may pay $900/month versus $1200/month but that's not a massive savings. It's good but not ridiculous.

The other thing to consider is roommates. Whether you like it or not, that could help you save a ton of money. In Ukrainian Village area for example, you could totally pay something like $500/month if you had another roommate or two. My friend's boyfriend lives there, has a huge 2200 sq foot place (his living room alone is probably larger than my entire apartment by probably 50%). The place was built probably 10 years ago and is very nice, and he's paying maybe $600 or $650/month for it, but he has 3 other roommates.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah that's the other thing is the fact that you have a large debt and high interest charged per month. Not all suburbs are drastically cheaper though if you rent on your own. Yeah you may pay $900/month versus $1200/month but that's not a massive savings. It's good but not ridiculous.

The other thing to consider is roommates. Whether you like it or not, that could help you save a ton of money. In Ukrainian Village area for example, you could totally pay something like $500/month if you had another roommate or two. My friend's boyfriend lives there, has a huge 2200 sq foot place (his living room alone is probably larger than my entire apartment by probably 50%). The place was built probably 10 years ago and is very nice, and he's paying maybe $600 or $650/month for it, but he has 3 other roommates.
The big savings when considering Naperville is that my client pays $.565 per mile - right now I get $400/month, but if I moved to Naperville I'd be getting $1180/month. On top of that, my Thursday/Friday commute would be reduced from 140 miles total to 24 miles total. This is all hypothetical, of course.

I'm doing the roommate thing right now and it sucks. My roommate is a 50 year old asian guy who plays jazz music on his surround sound stereo all the time.

Last edited by batman7601; 11-17-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM

615 posts, read 1,384,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman7601 View Post
The big savings when considering Naperville is that my client pays $.565 per mile - right now I get $400/month, but if I moved to Naperville I'd be getting $1180/month. On top of that, my Thursday/Friday commute would be reduced from 140 miles total to 24 miles total. This is all hypothetical, of course.

I'm doing the roommate thing right now and it sucks. My roommate is a 50 year old asian guy who plays jazz music on his surround sound stereo all the time.

LOL! Why would you room mate with a 50 year old to begin with?

Was I accurate when I read that you pay $1,100 per month in INTEREST alone?

I'm the kind of guy that can't have a room mate unless the room mate is super clean, super quiet, and out of sight unless I feel like socializing. That is more or less exactly why I would rather live in a small studio than a bigger two bedroom. I need my peace and quiet, my home is my sanctuary. I would honestly not be able to stand living with some jack***** that is playing music all the time. It sounds like you would be better off getting a studio on your own.

I would never move into the suburbs unless my job is out there. If your job is out there, then it might make more sense for you to live out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago