Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,616 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to pick a good neighborhood to move into near downtown. I work in the loop, and don't really like living in the suburbs. I'm having trouble deciding what would be the best neighborhood for me.

* I'm 30yrs old, I like nightlife, but I hate the college/frat atmosphere like Lincoln Park.
* I would like a place somewhere that has a real neighborhood feeling like lots of tree, gray-stone houses. I absolutely hate high rises.
* I would still like to keep my car so parking would be great, although this is not a major requirement.
* I would like an area that has a considerably good amount of singles, not really looking for another place like the suburbs.
* Somewhere with easy transportation to the loop.
* Of course, low crime rate.

Any ideas what would be good for me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
Monthly budget? My first thought would be the Wicker Park/Bucktown area and down a little into Ukrainian Village/East Village closer to Wicker Park but of course, all depends on your budget.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,331,988 times
Ravenswood or Lincoln Square, maybe? Only drawback I can see given your criteria is that those areas might be more family-oriented than you have in mind (although there are quite a few singles there as well).

Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,383,751 times
Englewood, since you don't want your car. It might not be there overnight.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac0117 View Post
I'm trying to pick a good neighborhood to move into near downtown. I work in the loop, and don't really like living in the suburbs. I'm having trouble deciding what would be the best neighborhood for me.

* I'm 30yrs old, I like nightlife, but I hate the college/frat atmosphere like Lincoln Park.
* I would like a place somewhere that has a real neighborhood feeling like lots of tree, gray-stone houses. I absolutely hate high rises.
* I would still like to keep my car so parking would be great, although this is not a major requirement.
* I would like an area that has a considerably good amount of singles, not really looking for another place like the suburbs.
* Somewhere with easy transportation to the loop.
* Of course, low crime rate.

Any ideas what would be good for me?
Lincoln Park really is lovely place that has far fewer post college "frat bars" than cheaper more up coming areas. Lincoln Park also has many desirable and enormously costly gray stones, easy transportation to the Loop, a nice mix of low/mid rises, many well healed singles in their 30s and low crime...

Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,580,402 times
wicker park is just as much if not more frat/bro than lincoln park these days.anyways, the answer is lincoln sqaure, roscoe village, north center. /thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,505,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ravenswood or Lincoln Square, maybe? Only drawback I can see given your criteria is that those areas might be more family-oriented than you have in mind (although there are quite a few singles there as well).
Good suggestion - Lincoln Square, even Ravenswood.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM

68 posts, read 144,483 times
lincoln square, Ukrainian Village, East Village, West Town, Noble Square all fit the bill. With the last 4, you can go into Wicker Park any time you want or go hang out on Chicago Ave which is more trendy/gritty and way less fratty than Wicker. A lot of nightlife options in those neighborhoods and easy transportation to downtown.

While Wicker Party can be fratty, you just need to know where to go (or where to not go). IMO, it still has more interesting bars and restaurants than Lincoln Park

Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
wicker park is just as much if not more frat/bro than lincoln park these days.anyways, the answer is lincoln sqaure, roscoe village, north center. /thread
You really don't hang out there do you? There are a few fratty places there, but overall it's not that fratty still. Bucktown is probably moreso. Nice doesn't always mean "fratty". I really can't stand hanging out with frat guys/fratty places. I avoid parts of Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville like the plague when it comes time for nightlife, but minus a few in the Wicker Park area, it's nowhere even close to the type of nightlife that Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville has and I still like it. Anybody who says the whole area is like this doesn't hang out there, I'm sorry. The people who don't dress like hipsters are not frat types. There's a big difference between someone who is fratty and someone who dresses decently. They aren't the ****ing same. Affordability wise though, I'd probably go Ukrainian Village/East Village area.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,580,402 times
skinny jeans hipster dress has been mainstream for bros/frat types for years now. Wicker Park is brogrammer ground zero.
EDIT: and nice little meltdown...not sure what nerve I struck there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago