Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not to mention Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill are centered here who designed the Burj Khalifa in Dubai (amongst other buildings) as well as Skidmore, Owings & Merrill who also helped on the Burj Khalifa, but also had the contract for One World Trade Center. Others of course
This is a sore spot for me. The Burj Khalifa is 100% an SOM-designed building. Adrian Smith was in the chief design role at SOM at the time, but it was designed and executed by architects at SOM including Adrian Smith. The studio that was in charge of the Burj Khalifa was headed by a designer named Kenny Turner, who left in the middle of the Design Development phase, and the studio was then taken over by Marshall Strabala, who also left SOM before the project was finished. Gordon Gill was not involved in any capacity. Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill left SOM to start their own firm after the design of the Burj Khalifa (then called the Burj Dubai) was pretty much finalized.

The One World Trade Center building was handled by David Childs and the New York office of SOM. Chicago had nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
^ Gotcha, and my point was that SOM is headquartered in Chicago.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Chicago.

Living in NYC and as much as I love this place, have to admit that the financial stress is beginning to wear me down.
Everything here is super expensive. Most professionals live with roomates to make due. Not the kind of lifestyle I want to live. Great entertainment options here. Always something to do. But the hustle and daily grind has a way of completely wearing a person down. I would try Chicago. Hoping to make a move myself in the next month.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonb24 View Post
I'm a young architect and artist. I command a salary of a whopping 48k.

I would like to move to a different city: big, international, highly cultured ect.

I've narrowed it down to Nyc and Chicago.

I'm a tad on the conservatie side so I don't think I would mind that about Chicago. My 48k
would also go much farther I know. however I am a highly creative person and I enjoy vibrant nightlife.

If I tell somone I am an artist in NYC they may be intrigued.
If I tell someone I'm an artist in Chicago, will they think I'm some sort of wackjob loser?

Is there an international fell in Chicago? Is it an upgrade culture wise from Boston?
Id go with Chicago, the women have bigger boobs & are prettier than those madusas in New York.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:25 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
The Chicago area has the second highest unemployment in the nation, so if you come to Chicagoland, come with a job offer in hand.

Chicago has a VERY different job market than Boston, which has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.

Chicago, BTW, does not have an international feel. I'm not sure where you got that impression, but Chicago does not feel like an NYC in terms of international feel. It doesn't even feel like DC, LA, Miami, SF, etc. in terms of international feel.

It's certainly the most international and cosmopolitan city in the Midwest, but not very international or cosmopolitan compared to the biggest coastal cities.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Chicago, BTW, does not have an international feel. I'm not sure where you got that impression, but Chicago does not feel like an NYC in terms of international feel. It doesn't even feel like DC, LA, Miami, SF, etc. in terms of international feel.
It's funny that people say this. I was at a club last night with easily over 1000 people, and I'd have to say that I barely heard any English being spoken. Most people there were speaking a European language. I also met a few guys who just moved here from a few different Asian countries within the last few months. Maybe it's just me, but I've ALWAYS been friends with international people here. Most of my friends are international in Chicago. To me, it's international for sure. I actually and honestly barely have any American or American-born friends here

If you hang out in Lincoln Park, most of Lakeview, etc, then I can certainly see where you're coming from, but that is not all of Chicago. It's a very small fraction of it. People always hang out in these areas and are quick to label the entire city as just like those areas.

I'm not saying it's more international than NYC, but it's a hell of a lot more international than you think. Not everywhere, I agree, but if you open yourself up and actually get out some, you'd see it easily.

Chicago is a little over 21% foreign born, and Boston is 27%. It's a sizable difference, but it could be worse.

Last edited by marothisu; 10-27-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago