Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 7,626 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm considering a move from Northern, VA (suburbs of DC) to Chicago. The cost of living here is horrendous, and I'm also just looking for a change of scenery and a new adventure. I'm looking for some tips/help regarding neighborhoods, and an overall idea of what I can expect as someone who has spent much of her life on the East Coast. I'm not looking to relocate until the March time frame, but definitely want to start looking into the area at least. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Some info:

- Single female, just turned 30
- I currently work one for Fannie Mae, been in the mortgage/banking/financial industry for about 8 years. I am also curious to know what making 70k in DC equals in Chicago? - and is this field common? Not sure how difficult it will be for me to find work at this point.
- Not into clubbing/partying, but do love being outside, strolling around, shopping, coffee, happy hour, dinners, etc - I'd like to be in a very walkable neighborhood with good public transportation and people in my age group.
- Would like to spend between 1000-1300/month in rent, no roommates.

Thanks again everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,090,657 times
My guess is that $70K in DC is around $55K-$60K in Chicago? Even $40K is enough to live decently in Chicago granted not much debt or anything. The first place I'd look at is Lincoln Square/Ravenswood (and maybe North Center) area which has a train line running through it. Perhaps an area like Andersonville or Edgewater as well. You'll find a good amount of people in your age group in those areas and the areas are pretty walkable, lot of different types of food/cafes. Some bars but nothing overly crazy. Andersonville can be pretty hopping in the warmer months, but it's in a non-annoying way. Lincoln Square on a stretch can be semi hopping too.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Thank you! I've read a little bit about Lakeview.. would you say that's also a good area for my price range? There is a possibility that I will be looking into working at the Chase Tower, are these neighborhoods you've mentioned going to give me fairly decent access to that location? Also - how is the traffic. I know there are many factors, but in general is it awful? Traffic the DC area is HORRIFIC .. I can't imagine that it's worse in Chicago, at least I hope not. lol

Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Lakeview could be good, but if you were to look at that, I'd look at the Eastern section of Lakeview near the lake. You should be able to find something in your range around there. It's a good area and yes, there's people in your age group there. Broadway has a lot of stuff on it (shops, cafes, restaurants, and some bars). Halsted not far away from there is where Boystown is, the main gay part of town. There's a lot more bars and stuff there, which it can be pretty hopping, but you aren't going to hear it unless maybe you live in a high rise..maybe.

Chase Tower should be fine. The Red Line is right near there, which has access in Lakeview, Edgewater, and Andersonville more or less. Andersonville is about a 10 minute walk to the Red Line, but if you live near the lake in Lakeview, then it could be about the same. Lincoln Square/Ravenswood/North Center are on the Brown Line, which also goes into the Loop. There's a stop almost equidistant to Chase Tower as there is a red line stop. There's also a transfer point in Lakeview and Lincoln Park to the Red Line, from Brown, if you want. It's on the same platform and is free - very easy.

As far as traffic, are you talking about car traffic or train traffic? Freeway traffic here can be pretty horrid...just like DC. Some of the side streets within the dense parts of the city too but it's usually not terrible IMO.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 PM

Super helpful, thank you. Yes, I was referring to car traffic.. I am very used to it, so I imagine I wouldn't feel that much of a difference sitting in Chicago traffic.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 PM

On the freeway that cuts through downtown and the north side of town to O'Hare Airport, the traffic can be pretty bad, and a few other freeways in some other parts too (a few miles south of downtown and also west). On that note too, sometimes taking the train to the airport can be faster than a cab if the traffic is bad enough (and cheaper of course). You may not need a car here as well, for the record. Depends on a few things, but keep it in mind if you have one, you might not use it a TON in these areas I suggested.

There may be other areas you could look at too, like Bridgeport which is more residential than all the other places I mentioned, or Hyde Park which is where the U of Chicago is on the south side (Obama's mansion is here on the border of Hyde Park and Kenwood). Perhaps on the Blue Line train, an area like Logan Square.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:16 PM

Yes, I have considered getting rid of my car. It would REALLY depend on where I'm living AND where I'm working.. and the commute between the 2. I'd actually prefer to get rid of my car, I'm sure I can get one for the day if I needed it fairly easily. The other areas you mentioned - Hyde Park, Bridgeport, Logan Square - all decent distance to/from the Loop where I could potentially be working?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 PM

If you are working in the Loop, then there's pretty much no reason to commute to work via private car. I'd be willing to bet you that at least 90-95%, or more, of the people who work in the Loop do NOT drive to work and that includes everyone in the suburbs. Parking in the downtown areas is expensive. I mean $15 a day at the minimum usually. It could be as much as $40-$50/day in some places. Do the math and you'll realize that $15/day at a minimum is an extra $4000/year (not counting gas)spent that you don't even need to be doing most likely.

The other areas I mentioned - Logan Square is on the Blue Line (24 hr line, which goes to O'Hare Airport too), which has a stop literally right next to Chase Tower and is maybe a 20ish minute ride on the train. Bridgeport has the Orange line running through it (which goes to Midway Airport too). The only problem is there's one stop and it's on the edge of the neighborhood. From some areas, it's not as easy to get to. Hyde Park has public transit going to it and the Red Line (24 hr line) train goes near it, but it's in Washington Park which is shady. There is a Metra commuter train that goes through Hyde Park as well as a few buses that run express between downtown and Hyde Park.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,839,577 times
Some decent advice about relative ease of commute to central Loop w/o car but others things seem a little too rosey -- to begin with while I agree that COL in suburban DC is higher than Chicago there is NO WAY that $70k in DC translates in $40k in Chicago! Folks with ideas that looney just need to get that notion out of their head!

Secondly, depending on the role one plays in a firm focused on residential mortgages and other increasingly regulated types of consumer banking it may not be realistic to ditch a car -- many front line personnel are routinely expected to have regular spot checks on field operations.

Even moving from a quasi-governmental organization to a profit making entity presents some special challenges when relocating -- it would not be wise to overlook these facts and be too easily swayed by some folks enthusiastic support of Chicago living. The unemployment rate is many times higher in Chicago than suburban DC, largely becuase unlike the bottomless bags of money being thrown around the Capital, out here in the land of corrupt poltical ineptness the prospect of soaring taxes forces businesses to be exceedingly timid in hiring. The likely contraction of lending that will come after the latest surge in sales and refinancing at record low rates subsides will almost certainly whipsaw employment. Without connections or a long tenure of success in the rather brutally competive residential mortage field one ought to be prepared to face tough times...

Finally I would caution that rents in the Chicago region are notoriously wide ranging -- tiny units in out-dated buildings can often be had for a song even in the priciest parts of the Gold Coast while larger, recently rehabbed units in more emerging areas are frequently overpriced to test the naïveté of bumbles from rural college towns eager to dive into the extended frat party life that nightclub owners promote in booming areas regardless of how much of the crime remains. While $1000 is certainly an adequate budget for a nice sized apartment in a more fitting part of Chicago the compromises that might go along with an older building include making trade-offs of things like "easy El line access" vs "more noise" & "charming character" vs "antiguated appliances / fixtures / no amenities". I know suburban VA has a multitude of newer rental options, some geared toward the convenience factor of having things that were considered luxuries like oversized baths, in-unit laundry, convenient access to coffee spots, nearby upscale shopping / dining and a wide range of more current development trends. It may not be as smooth a transition as some would suggest...

Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
there is NO WAY that $70k in DC translates in $40k in Chicago! Folks with ideas that looney just need to get that notion out of their head!
Perhaps you should learn how to read, Chet. Do you just pick and choose stuff and change the original quote in your mind or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My guess is that $70K in DC is around $55K-$60K in Chicago? Even $40K is enough to live decently in Chicago granted not much debt or anything
I was putting out there that it translates to less in Chicago, and even $40K is enough to live in Chicago. I love how you always manage to do this ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago