Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM

28 posts, read 140,600 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am looking to purchase some multifamily homes to rent out on the South Shore of Chicago. I know some of these areas are pretty beat up and it will be Section 8 housing. The two areas I am going to avoid are West Englewood and Roseland. That leaves me with these neighborhoods. I know they are in bad shape, but long term wise which of these areas neighborhoods do you view as improving the most over the next decade and why?

South Shore
Chatham
Auburn Gresham
Greater Grand Crossing
South Chicago

Thanks so much folks I appreciate it.

PS I notice someone posted something similar recently but the neighborhoods in that thread were not exactly the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,326,998 times
To a meaningful degree only South Shore--about a century from now.

CW suggests gentrification will spread down the lakeshore south from the loop, but it's going to be a long time until anything that far south sees much meaningful gentrification IMO.

The others... practically speaking never.

Chicago is significantly losing black population, so those neighborhoods are actually probably emptying out.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,115,686 times
In a decade? None of them. South Shore has some nice areas and I know of some decently nice places being put on the market, so in certain areas, my guess would be South Shore...Everytime I've been down there, it's seemed like one of those block by block areas of the city where one minute you're in a nice little area and then the next you're in a run down section.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
To a meaningful degree only South Shore--about a century from now.

CW suggests gentrification will spread down the lakeshore south from the loop, but it's going to be a long time until anything that far south sees much meaningful gentrification IMO.

The others... practically speaking never.

Chicago is significantly losing black population, so those neighborhoods are actually probably emptying out.

A century? Isn't that a bit hyperbolic?

I live in Los Angeles and people could have said the same thing about Watts and Compton which was the murder capital of the USA in the 80's and 90's and now they are relatively safe areas, gang violence and murders are way down. They are turning into decent working class areas. 6-7 years ago I would never have ventured downtown LA and now the change in just the last 2-3 years has been incredible.

Chicago is an incredibly economically diverse city and has the ability to bounce back from a bad economy. I don't think it is crazy to think at least one of those areas could see some improvements in the next 10-20 years.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,613,500 times
None of those properties. None, none, none. There is no evidence, not any hint of momentum for those areas. No reason for any momentum. Far too many crimes and hostile elements there. Predominantly ghetto, vacancies, and an aging working class population that empties out year after year.

It's just not worth the heartache.

Last edited by TBideon; 10-24-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM

I do think though without positive investment in any of these areas, nothing will happen. I don't mean gentrification. I wish I had more free $$ sometimes.. I think it's great that people from outside of the city want to invest in these areas. I only hope if they do it will bring about a positive impact.

Last edited by marothisu; 10-24-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 PM

240 posts, read 467,825 times
If you're planning on banking on those five neighborhoods, definitely South Shore or South Chicago. There's definitely risk involved, but if this (Chicago Lakeside: Our Projects: McCaffery Interests) ends up coming to fruition, that's major potential increase in property value (gentrification?). I think your best bet is along the Lake as well. That's one asset that's a selling point that isn't going anywhere.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM

^ As much as people want to give it ****, South Shore does have some decent/good areas. However it has some bad areas too, but I definitely agree that it might be the best in the list for short term investment. I was talking with someone a few months ago who was moving to South Shore and how there are really nice renovated places down there for $800/mo for 2 bedrooms. Stainless steel and hardwood floors, but they're on the edge of dangerous areas. We need some trailblazers to get those places.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:26 PM

123 posts, read 298,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDownTrent11 View Post
A century? Isn't that a bit hyperbolic?

I live in Los Angeles and people could have said the same thing about Watts and Compton which was the murder capital of the USA in the 80's and 90's and now they are relatively safe areas, gang violence and murders are way down. They are turning into decent working class areas. 6-7 years ago I would never have ventured downtown LA and now the change in just the last 2-3 years has been incredible.

Chicago is an incredibly economically diverse city and has the ability to bounce back from a bad economy. I don't think it is crazy to think at least one of those areas could see some improvements in the next 10-20 years.
The factors that changed Watts and Compton were hinted by census data from over 20 years ago. It's not happening on the South side.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Okay so it sounds like none of those areas have any hope for improvement. How about which areas do you feel have bottomed out and won't get worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago