Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 16,974 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are relocating to Chicago since my husband has gotten at job at UIC. We live in CA right now and it turns out that an acquaintance is moving out of his condo in Little Italy, close to UIC and is looking to sublet. I am familiar with the near north side and downtown areas of chicago, but I don't know much about the near west side. Does anyone know what its like to live there? Is it family friendly? We have a seven month old and would like to be in an area that is fairly safe and family friendly. THe condo is two blocks or so east of S. Ashland and Roosevelt. Any advice from people who have lived there or are living there would be great! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
I don't live there but I am there all the time.

Mostly students with a smattering of Italians and probably an increasing amount of yuppies... the area has gotten much better since the 90s.

There is some public housing to the south that you will want to steer clear of and things get dicey west of western as well.

Overall a cool, improving area with nice character and great architecture. I would live there. You're not too far from everything but far enough that it should feel like a real neighborhood.

For the most part, though, it is fair to say that it is more or less an extention of the university at this point.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Depending on the OP's spouse's role it may be quite a little haul to the actual building(s) they need to get to -- UIC actually has the "Medical Campus" which lies NW of Roosevelt & Ashland vs the "main campus" about 2 miles east...

I don't really agree that it feels like "a real neighborhood" anymore as the University and assorted hospitals (Rush, VA, Cook Co, UIC...) make the area rather unpleasantly overrun by folks with no long term connection to the residential portions of what has been pretty brutally remade... Frankly the domination of the area by the not just academic / healthcare but also administrative / law enforcement related uses (like juvenile courts building) makes this one of the worst such area in Chicago for families -- there are probably more kid friendly developments near the high rises around Northwestern University and even Hyde Park (home to UofC hospitals) has more ammenities. With an infant this is not the worst place for a short term stay but longer term there are much more family oriented areas.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Oh Chet I think you are overreacting. One of the worst places for kids? Are you serious?!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 PM

Chet go to the Vernor Park Tap and tell them it's not a real neighborhood; you will get your ass beat !

Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
As others have mentioned, there are some public housing buildings around, but the area North of Roosevelt is nice, IMO. There will be a mix of yuppies, students, young families, and medical folks. There are a ton of shops and restaurants on Taylor St., a weekend market to the East on Canal St (I believe it moved from Canal, but in the area), and you are just North of Pilsen which is a Mexican neighborhood with alot of great eats.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are just too many folks with no roots in the area for me to recommend this to families with school aged children long term.
While the medical students / residents are likely too busy to present much threat of crime that same busyness means you won't have nearly as many potential playmates for your children nor parents to network with about important decisons like navigating the CPS selective admissions as in desirable parts of Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, Andersonville etc... Heck there are more kids and more stable longer term residents in places like South Loop, Pilsen or Logan Square. When it comes to staff at the hospitals and universities there are probably more such folks in Hyde Park, Oak Park or the west suburbs.

I clearly said there are worse place (especially as the areas west / south of the Medical Center District remain hot spots of violence...) and for a short term sublease this is a good location to get acclimated to work, but I cannot recommend this area as a being a "real neighborhood" as massive changes driven by "urban renewal" has seen not just expansion of the medical and higher education uses but also governmental changes like juvenile courts, State Police, and other admistration departments...

Nothing particularly sinister about explaining to newcomers the various reasons that some places are better suited to families than others.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
When I was at UIC there was a sketchy area of half boarded up buildings on Taylor street between Racine and Ashland. Is that still there.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 10-22-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
When I was at UIC there was a sketchy area of half boarded up buildings on Taylor street between Racine and Ashland that looked very sketchy. Is that still there.
I don't think there's anything like that there.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are just too many folks with no roots in the area for me to recommend this to families with school aged children long term.
While the medical students / residents are likely too busy to present much threat of crime that same busyness means you won't have nearly as many potential playmates for your children nor parents to network with about important decisons like navigating the CPS selective admissions as in desirable parts of Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, Andersonville etc... Heck there are more kids and more stable longer term residents in places like South Loop, Pilsen or Logan Square. When it comes to staff at the hospitals and universities there are probably more such folks in Hyde Park, Oak Park or the west suburbs.

I clearly said there are worse place (especially as the areas west / south of the Medical Center District remain hot spots of violence...) and for a short term sublease this is a good location to get acclimated to work, but I cannot recommend this area as a being a "real neighborhood" as massive changes driven by "urban renewal" has seen not just expansion of the medical and higher education uses but also governmental changes like juvenile courts, State Police, and other admistration departments...

Nothing particularly sinister about explaining to newcomers the various reasons that some places are better suited to families than others.
Fair enough but there is still a fair amount of residents there. Who knows the exact number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago