Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Here it is. Original house, in Norridge, was leveled and several years later someone built a new home on the
property. Knew someone who Gacy approached but he wouldn't go near him.

http://www.death2ur.com/john_wayne_g..._and_house.htm

Immigrant serial killer in Wicker Park address 924 N Winchester, check that address out.
Chicago Unbelievable: Tillie Klimek's Many Victims (with pictures)

America's first serial killer HH Holmes in Englewood.

Chilling tour inside serial killer H.H. Holmes` `Murder Castle` - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News
Considering lack of forensics and how primitive the police investigative tools were yesteryear, it makes me wonder what the true Chicago murder rate was back then. Maybe it actually dwarfed todays numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM

95 posts, read 219,230 times
Dean O'Bannion, one of Torrio's/Capone's enemies, was killed in his flower shop at 738 N. State St, across from Holy Name Cathedral. And one of his associates, Hymie Weiss, was killed in front of Holy Name.

Good link for this-

Gangster sites today

Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
There are two specific examples of infamous murders which I recall only because my mother and many other mothers became far more vigilant in tracking our every move, because of these two horrific events.

What was launched now was the largest manhunt in the history of Chicago at that time. (Grimes Sisters)

The Murder of the Grimes Sisters: Chicago's Notorious Unsolved Murders

Brighton Park Theatre

Brighton Park Theatre | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Just some other facts concerning the Schuessler-Peterson murders

FILES OF EX-CORONER AIDE MAY HELP SOLVE MURDERS

Hansen's Trial For '55 Peterson-schuessler Murder Nears A Close - Chicago Tribune

Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
I love to see all the pictures you all have posted. I can't believe how people today still would want to live in places where multiple people have been murdered and buried. To me that is just too creepy. For instance, the John Gacey house. I know it is torn down but the site were all the bodies were found is still there..and somebody lives on that spot. No thank you!
I would however not mind visiting the places of all the mob/ gangster sites or homes in Chicago. I think that is pretty cool.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,121 times
There are multiple volumes of books devoted to this. One big one though is that Jack McGurn, Capone's #1, was murdered at the building at the northwest corned of Milwaukee and Chicago, which was then a bowling alley.

Harry Aleman blew away a bookie at a pizzeria that's still in existence on west Fullerton, it's kinda cool because it looks exactly like it did back then.

Two masked men assassinated Richard Cain in what was then a restaurant and what's now another business on near Grand.

Joe E Lewis got sliced up at one of the big hotels downtown that's still operational.

There's a new house in the Gacy House.

On and on. There's been between 1500-3000 mob hits alone since the 20s so it's essentially limitless.

The books I was referring to are called Return to the Scene of the Crime I and II.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I love to see all the pictures you all have posted. I can't believe how people today still would want to live in places where multiple people have been murdered and buried. To me that is just too creepy. For instance, the John Gacey house. I know it is torn down but the site were all the bodies were found is still there..and somebody lives on that spot. No thank you!
Since we lived nearby, that lot was empty for years. btw, the neighbors all complained about a bad
odor coming from that house. Now what was really creepy was who decided to build a house on that
lot. A year after they built that home, the buyers left. It was empty again for a couple of years.
When we drove by a few years back, I was shocked that someone bought it.
Since he was a big fish in a little pond in Norridge, they blew the complaints off.
The other despicable thing about that monster was; when he was in jail he was painting and people
bought them. Once he died, there was an auction of his ugly work and one man (and I wish I knew
the name of that man) who took a portion of his life savings (he was just a blue collar guy) and
bought $10,000 of Gacy's pieces and then burned them.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
The other despicable thing about that monster was; when he was in jail he was painting and people bought them. Once he died, there was an auction of his ugly work and one man (and I wish I knew the name of that man) who took a portion of his life savings (he was just a blue collar guy) and bought $10,000 of Gacy's pieces and then burned them.
Interestting article on the matter...

The burning of Gacy's art was a well thought out plan by Joseph Roth, a Naperville truck parts supplier, and Walter Knoebel of Builders Concrete Co. near Naperville. They spent more than $10,000 on the artwork, two figurines as well as other Gacy items at an auction in May 1994.

Gacy's Art Is Torched Amid Cheers - Chicago Tribune

Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Since we lived nearby, that lot was empty for years. btw, the neighbors all complained about a bad
odor coming from that house. Now what was really creepy was who decided to build a house on that
lot. A year after they built that home, the buyers left. It was empty again for a couple of years.
When we drove by a few years back, I was shocked that someone bought it.
Since he was a big fish in a little pond in Norridge, they blew the complaints off.
The other despicable thing about that monster was; when he was in jail he was painting and people
bought them. Once he died, there was an auction of his ugly work and one man (and I wish I knew
the name of that man) who took a portion of his life savings (he was just a blue collar guy) and
bought $10,000 of Gacy's pieces and then burned them.
Did he have any connection to Gacy other than obviously hating him to the point of wanting to take his own money and buy and later burn his art.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-20-2013, 02:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Here's a whole bunch of murder crime scenes to pursue:

Homicide in Chicago 1870-1930 :: 1893: Mayor Carter Harrison

Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Richard Speck is a good argument for the death penalty. He had a very good life in prison. All the drugs he could use and sell, all the sex he could handle. He even took drugs to help him mimic a sex change.

Part 1:

A&E Biography - Richard Speck - Part 1 of 5 - YouTube

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago